1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

MPG's

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:11 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I convert kms to miles and liters to gallons (US). The metric equivalent to mpgs is liters/100kms, either or I can do but I convert it for the sake that a huge majority of fte users are amerincan.

The math is very basic:

liters x .26 = gallons
kms x .6 = miles
miles / gallons = mpg

My calculations were slightly off where I thought our tanks had a 90 liter (23.5 gallons)capacity, but according to the internet we have a 25 gallon tank so my mpgs decreases to 18.5.....still pretty good.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:24 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i do the same conversion, but using the canadian gallon, which is bigger.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You sure have done a lot of recalculation. Curious how the size of your gas tank enters into it? MPG is measured by the amount of gas used over distance & has nothing to do with how big the tank is. MPG would be the same if you ran off of a 5 gallon gas can sitting in the bed.

Originally Posted by xtrford
My calculations were slightly off where I thought our tanks had a 90 liter (23.5 gallons)capacity, but according to the internet we have a 25 gallon tank so my mpgs decreases to 18.5.....still pretty good.
Presume you're discussing a short bed/short wheel base? Think the regular length has a 30 gallon tank. If this is the case are you going to need to revise your MPG down to 15.4 from "the amazing 20 mpg......?"

Also presume you've confirmed your odometer's adjustment, to compensate for oversized tires, against interstate mileage markers? GPS can also be helpful to check for both speed & mileage accuracy.

Have had discussions with folks who relied on some of the notoriously innaccurate onboard MPG indicators & claimed absurd economy.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:04 PM
beer boy
Senior User
excellent point. also for us canucks lets remember that there are 3.7 liters in a gal and 1.6 km's in a mile.
96sherm if your getting that, please tell me how. im very honest, i want to get that mileage if i can.
king i seem to mirror your results over the long term.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:32 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
4.546 litres in a canadian gallon, therefore my calculations end up a tad higher. i'm in canada, so i'll use the canadian gallon, no offense meant!! my driving style is smooth for the most part, my truck is listed in my sig, very few mods. terrain is very flat. the other thing is...why would a guy lie about his mileage?? you're fooling no one but yourself...

Old 08-15-2007, 06:54 PM
beer boy
Senior User
i just ment for a true apples to apples comparison. by the way we dont us any gallons in the metric syetem.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:59 PM
beer boy
Senior User
you should still fall around the 19.8m/gal mark us at 24m/(i)gal. id still love to get that.have you done something other than driving habbits?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:35 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
we...our trucks are very different for starters, i would think that your biggest killer is 4x4 and the 5.4L engine. those 2 alone are a recipe for lower mileage in some cases. my only mods are k&n filter, duals-the cats, and i made a tonneau. of the 3 things i've done, the tonneau made the biggest difference. another thing to factor in is the altitude. i'm thinking that sask is a whole pile higher than NS, making the air thinner, this burning cleaner/leaner. i know that comming from NL i notice a big difference in how vehicles run due to this.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
You sure have done a lot of recalculation. Curious how the size of your gas tank enters into it? MPG is measured by the amount of gas used over distance & has nothing to do with how big the tank is. MPG would be the same if you ran off of a 5 gallon gas can sitting in the bed.

Presume you're discussing a short bed/short wheel base? Think the regular length has a 30 gallon tank. If this is the case are you going to need to revise your MPG down to 15.4 from "the amazing 20 mpg......?"

Also presume you've confirmed your odometer's adjustment, to compensate for oversized tires, against interstate mileage markers? GPS can also be helpful to check for both speed & mileage accuracy.

Have had discussions with folks who relied on some of the notoriously innaccurate onboard MPG indicators & claimed absurd economy.
Buddy, read over my other posts! I have stated the tuner has adjusted to tire height which is marginal and shouldn't be considered oversized (maybe an 1 1/2 inches is alot to you). I know you can take a reading out of just 5 gallons of fuel but I wanted to use almost the entire tank over highway use to get a better idea.....it is alright to do it that way so relax. I have my sticker tag for my truck when it was on the lot right in front of me and it states 95 liters which is 24.7 US gallons and it is a scab. So where is your info that i have a 30 gallon tank? I even have a gas reciept from the trip when I filled her up on the trip back to home to confirm capacity.

Why do I need a GPS to argue my point with you? How do I confirm to you that I made adjustments to the odometer? To answer your question I have yet to recieve any codes for my adjustment to the computer....and yes, before you have a frantic post to question me about that, it does exist.

Are we done yet???

Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
lol...the good ole MPG pissing match...pretty soon the wind will come up and i'll get wet...

Old 08-16-2007, 02:30 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I did & saw 3 different MPG figures. Also noticed that you had to recalculate your MPG based on finding out the true size of your tank & was puzzled.

Originally Posted by xtrford
Buddy, read over my other posts!
The 8' bed, long WB F-150 specs in front of me indicate a 30 gal tank. You seemed unsure of the size of your tank. Just trying to help, have not seen your truck & checking odometer readings by use of interstate mileage markers can help you confirm your "tuner" was adjusted correctly.

You do not need to confirm tank capacity, only fuel used & miles driven.

You do not need to confirm you "made adjustments to the odometer" you need to confirm the adjustments you made were accurate.

We're done, unless you want to recalculate a 4th time.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:21 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
How often do you see a scab long box????? Your giving a spec of a vehicle that basically few have, and now your presumption is that everyone has one is a very weak argument.

The 20 mpg was rounded from 19.7 so no re-calculation there, I made an error in the tank capacity re-calculated, so it was only one time. If you would back track and read the posts carefully, you wouldn't be shooting your mouth off so much.

So now I have to take pictures of receipts, sticker tags, and my tuner making the proper adjustments to my truck to prove my point??? Can you say **** retentive.

Anything else Boss?!

Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 AM
beer boy
Senior User
lol wind blowing hard now...
maybe your just getting a better quality fuel 96sherm. the higher the alt the less dense the air charge. less dense air equals less efficient combustion. i hope my 4x4 isnt the killer but maybe thats what it is. i have a cap (flush) on my screw but i didnt see any difference better or worse. has your truck been reprogramed?
you'd be surprised what i would pay to get close to 20mpg.... lol

Old 08-16-2007, 07:26 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
no reprogramming, no tuner(yet). just a 2wd 4.6l auto s'crew. it runs like a dream, and i drive it like a gold brick. maybe i've just gotten lucky? i only buy my fuel at superstore, use the regular.

do you have an extra set of oilskins i could borrow for a bit?? think i'm getting wet here...

off topic, Beer boy, how do you like your tuner??

Old 08-16-2007, 07:26 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 96sherm
lol...the good ole MPG pissing match...pretty soon the wind will come up and i'll get wet...
En garde!

Quick Reply: MPG's