1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Buried car update / new video

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:28 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
It was interesting to see the live coverage. When they introduced Floyd and he introduced the rest of the "crew" there was not much applause at all.
I can only imagine how much they had to pay out for him to shut down his shop for three days and bring everybody with him.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:01 PM
cal401
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got a kick out of the 10 gallons of gas that they put in the vault, in case gasoline wasn't available in 2007. I'm pretty sure that in 1957 it was common knowledge that gas will turn to taffey in much less than 50 years. I guess the planners didn't have much help from the Tulsa chapter of Mensa...

Cal

Old 06-18-2007, 03:30 PM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe BC and his shop monkeys can salvage some parts off the remains of the original car and build up a better-preserved car for the winner. It's no prize in its present state...

Old 06-18-2007, 03:56 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
It was interesting to see the live coverage. When they introduced Floyd and he introduced the rest of the "crew" there was not much applause at all.
I can only imagine how much they had to pay out for him to shut down his shop for three days and bring everybody with him.
AX, I just watched the video, you're right, there is only one or two people clapping when they introduce Boyd. That's pretty telling I think.........

I'm glad they let the people see it how it was and they didn't try the switcheroo. It'll be interesting to see how the Plymouth Prowler survives that they buried 9 years ago

Bobby

Old 06-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that most of the people there were unaware of who Boyd Coddington is. I think the reason he was here was because he had a collector car auction in Springfield mo last weekend [maybe one before], and his agent thought the "buried car" would be good advertising. Unfortunatly, it wasn't. A couple of folks here who met he and his crew were surprised at their friendliness and down to earth attitude. Speaking of the Prowler, it is really not buried. It is entombed above ground, just covered with dirt. It was unfortunate that the folks involved with the TV coverage were not professionals, and came off a little amatureish. It was not intended for tv coverage at first, but once they sold out on tickets I guess they decided why not. Was I dissappointed that it was not in better shape, sure. Am I proud of the folks in 57 that had the idea to try it, of course. It sure put a good chunk of change into our local economy.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:08 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Joe,

So, just how bad was it? How did it look up close and personal? How was the rest of the festivities?
I still would have like to be there in person. Digging up time capsules is always interesting

Bobby

Old 06-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
They probably got the same spin from the liberals back then that we are getting now, that all the oil in the world will be gone in a couple of years.

Originally Posted by cal401
I got a kick out of the 10 gallons of gas that they put in the vault, in case gasoline wasn't available in 2007. I'm pretty sure that in 1957 it was common knowledge that gas will turn to taffey in much less than 50 years. I guess the planners didn't have much help from the Tulsa chapter of Mensa...

Cal

Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by angus
Maybe BC and his shop monkeys can salvage some parts off the remains of the original car and build up a better-preserved car for the winner. It's no prize in its present state...
I truly cant argue with you there that is probably the smartest idea..

Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Since the microfilm of the entries apparently disintegrated with the car, it isn't likely they will have a winner. Given the condition, it's like one of those bad jokes: "and the last place prize is you HAVE to take the car..."

Old 06-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will sell on evilbay for a lot of money. Somone will display it in some small car museum like the clampets truck. Its near branson, MO at some school.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:29 AM
DCP
Senior User
I went to see this event in Tulsa. Its too bad the vault failed by letting water get to the car. Dispite what Boyd said, I'd restore the car.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:49 AM
factory594x4
Senior User
Plymouth's come from the factory pre-rusted

Old 06-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bobby I have not seen it in person. Once my Dad saw it would be televised he decided he would just watch on tv. He's 88 and becoming somewhat frail. I went and watched with him, once I saw them open the trunk lid and saw it wobble and the inner structure hanging down, I knew how bad it was. I am not big on shows [ I love to drive my cars/truck, just not fond of park and sit all day shows] so I did not attend. I don't agree with DCP, it will be best displayed as it is. A restoration would require replacing everything. Joe

Old 06-19-2007, 07:56 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Joe,
Thanks. I understand why you decided not to attend. A bad day driving beats a day of sitting around anytime.

Maybe Tulsa can find space to display it as it is. Its a cool piece of history and at this stage it wouldn't make sense to restore it. I think it would retain more of its value (sentimental?) to the people of Tulsa if they let it remain as it is.

Thanks for all the updates on this since it started making the rounds.
Bobby

Old 06-19-2007, 08:25 AM
robbo429
New User
i hate to be the one to say it but here it goes.

it seems that most of the people that have replied to this post is not looking at this from the right point of view. we have to remember that this was done in the 50's. some say they should put a vaccume on it and so on and so on. dont think they cared. the whole point behind it was a time capsaul. i think we all know the point behind one but for those you who forgot here is the short version. you bury something underground, let it sit for a few years, dig it up and look at all the cool ****. most of you people should be saying "hey thats cool. to bad its not in good shape but what a great idea". it also seems to me that most of you forgot about the other stuff that was buried with the car. the guesses on the population, savings bonds, ect. this is all stuff from the 50's. it a way to look back and see the changes. i will agree that the ticket prices were a little high and they talked it up a bit but what the hell. its a pice of history. they may not have been the brightest people back then but they tired. cut them some slack.
hate me if you wish but remember this is MY opinion and is not ment to offend anyone.

Quick Reply: Buried car update / new video