1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

99 Ranger, no pannel, fog or parking lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:13 PM
GKarEMC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Ranger, no pannel, fog or parking lights

Several months ago I improperly installed a new stereo and fried several wires under the dash. After replacing the entire under the dash wiring harness, I have have headlights, interior lights, but the parking, fog and dash lights will not come on.

I have checked all of the fuses, which the new harness from ford came with a new fuse box and new fuses, and they are all good. I also have a bulldog remote starter installed. When I use the remote starter, my dash lights, parkng lights, fog lights all come on like they are supose to just as they did prior to my wiring problem.

I have thus far replaced the healight switch, and no change. I now have on order a new dimming switch since the wire that was done wrong before the new harness, that has the most damage (all the insulation melted off) goes to the plug into the dimmer. The wire that was torched is LB/RD (Light Blue/Red) which as far as I can tell, breaks off to 5 or 6 different areas under the dash.

Am I going in the right direction or does anyone have any other sugestions?

Old 08-14-2007, 07:17 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Do you have a GEM module... the one that slooowly dims the interior lights when you get in the car? It could be cooked, if you do. The dash lights that come on when you remote start indicate that they have power from somewhere, but are not getting power from the light switch. That made me think you may have a GEM that gets a signal from the headlight switch, not power, just the signal to turn on the dash.
Best bet is to get the EVTM book, or a wiring diagram. The Electronic Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual is worth its weight in gold, IMO. Totally helps understand what *they were THINKING* when they put it together. Pics and diagrams are sooo helpful. When new, were around $20, but ebay may have one.
tom

Old 08-14-2007, 12:35 PM
GKarEMC
New User
I do not think there is a GEM Module in the truck. When I get out, the interior light just goes out, same with when I get and shut the door. The headlight switch in new and gave me no change.

The power that is provided to the lighting by the remote starter is connected to the harness in the drivers side kick panel. One of the things I am curious about is does the dimming switch, the same switch that you rotate up to turn on the interior light, need to have a complete circuit for all of the lights to work?

The wiring diagram I have is fairly complete. It shows all of the connections that are used, where they go, what the resistance should be on most of the relays etc.. but does not say what "has" to be connected for it to work.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:35 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In that case your wiring diagram is USELESS. As Tom sez you need the EVTM for a 99 Ranger.

I have the EVTM for all 3 of my Fords & -as tom sez- they are worth their weight in gold.

I dont know if your 99 is wired the same as my 97 Explorer, but if you're interested I can post how the fogs work on my 97.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Dimmer needs to have a complete circuit. Every circuit needs to be complete, or it is if a switch was open.
Your 'Bulldog' may be involved, as it is tied into the lighting circuit. But, given that the lights work sometimes, it is a power supply from the switch issue of some sort. Meaning that the dash lights themselves are not messed up, just their power supply.
The exact same lights the Bulldog lights up do not work, eh? Hmmm, may be related..
tom

Old 08-15-2007, 12:44 PM
GKarEMC
New User
I was thinking it may be the remote starter that was the problem until I checked all of the connections and they are all where they need to be and the starter is currently disconnected. I was worried that the shop that put the new harness in placed rewired the starter wrong, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

I think I have it narrowed down to the dimming switch now and after examining it. To test that theory I unplugged the dimmer and now my courtesy light does not work, plug it back in and it works just fine. Further examination of some schematics I found do show that there is a parking light wire connected to the dimmer also. I guess I will find out in about 7 more days when the new switch gets here ( I hate living in rural Alaska sometimes, shipping takes forever )