Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Guns n Ammo

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had To Be **** and Research

Developed and introduced by Springfield Armory in 1906, the .30-06 is a slightly shorter version of the earlier .30-03 cartridge. Its development as a U.S. military cartridge was inspired by Germany's development of the 7 x 57mm and 8 x 57mm Mauser cartridges. In addition to serving as the primary U.S. battle cartridge until 1952, the .30-06 has established a track record on target ranges and in the game fields that has yet to be equaled by any other cartridge. Other cartridges have now set more accuracy records and many hunters now choose more powerful cartridges for big game, but no cartridge has served both roles better than the .30-06.

When one takes a close look at the .30-06, the reasons behind its success become quite clear. To begin with, the .30-06 is about the most powerful cartridge the average shooter can handle without suffering discomfort. To end with, the .30-06 shoots flat enough for long range shooting of deer and pronghorn and it hits hard enough for most of the world's big game. As a bonus, a good bolt action rifle in .30-06 is accurate enough for varmint shooting even though it is far too much cartridge for such a task.

Hunter opinion on the best bullet weights for the .30-06 differ, but the 150 grain for deer size game and the 180 grain for everything else still makes a lot of sense. When all is said and done, the handloader with IMR-4350, IMR-4064, H4350, H414, and W-760 sitting on his powder shelf needs to look no farther.

Source: Hodgdon Data Manual, 26th Edition
Historical Notes:

In 1903 the United States government adopted a new military loading to replace the 30 Army (30-40 Krag), which had been adopted in 1892. Like the 30-40 Krag, this new (30-Caliber, Model of 1903) cartridge featured a 220 grain round nosed full metal jacket bullet. However, the '03 increased muzzle velocity by about 100 fps, even though the M1903 rifle featured a significantly shorter barrel. The rimless cartridge design, generously borrowed from Mauser, was also an improvement as it featured superior feeding from a box magazine. Nevertheless, as seems to have been typical of that era, the U.S. Army was slow to the task of modernizing. As the 30-03 was standardized, all other world powers were in the process of adopting spitzer bulleted military loadings. The brand new 30-03 became instantly obsolescent. A crash program was instituted and in 1906 a modified version of this basic cartridge was adopted as the 30 Caliber, Model of 1906. That loading featured a lighter spitzer bullet and a shorter case neck. The spitzer bullets had a much shorter bearing surface so the existing rifles were modified by turning back the barrels two threads and recutting the chambers.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Old 06-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Placermike
To end with, the .30-06 shoots flat enough for long range shooting of deer and pronghorn and it hits hard enough for most of the world's big game. As a bonus, a good bolt action rifle in .30-06 is accurate enough for varmint shooting even though it is far too much cartridge for such a task.
I prefer a 7mm!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User
Hey i got a little snafu on my .308
up on the front of the stock thingy there is a bolt that is used as a swivel to hold things like a bipod.
well the bolt is stripped out it looks like a fine thread of about a 6 or something.
would anyone goin to the campout have a tap,die, screw set up so it can get fixed?

i tried my local gun shop, to buy a replacement.
But they said that it is a robinson arms gun and they no longer try and get things from them, so i think a fix rather than a order new part may be necessary.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User

thought i would post a picture in case im a bit terrible at my descriptions

The one on the left is the messed up one.
I took the one in the middle out to see if my .223 would work, but as you can see it is a bit different thread size.

the bolt on the right is just a 8-32 bolt for comparison.

I think the .308 bolt is a bit more than stripped, kinda looks like it should be longer too. And the threads in which they go into may be a bit buggered up.

so ifin anyone has a fix for me lemme know, thanks.

Or i may have to epoxy the part to the barrel lol

Dave

Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
From a collecting point of view, it is always better to replace the part, rather than fix it.

If you do want to fix the issue, more information is needed!

-Specifically what is the weapon (Make, Model, Vendor, Cal etc)
-Is the bolt the only item damaged? What about what it threads into?

If both are damaged, the easy fix would be to re-drill, tap then replace the bolt. However, you would not want to do that at a campsite...All of that should be done precisely with a drill press.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Parrsboro

thought i would post a picture in case im a bit terrible at my descriptions

The one on the left is the messed up one.
I took the one in the middle out to see if my .223 would work, but as you can see it is a bit different thread size.

the bolt on the right is just a 8-32 bolt for comparison.

I think the .308 bolt is a bit more than stripped, kinda looks like it should be longer too. And the threads in which they go into may be a bit buggered up.

so ifin anyone has a fix for me lemme know, thanks.

Or i may have to epoxy the part to the barrel lol

Dave
That 8/32 is a basic machine bolt...Doubt you will find that threading in a weapon, though I have not seen every weapon!

Talked to Gunny a bit, and he suggested you bring the weapon to the G2G...It is very hard to get a picture from descriptions...In any case, it can't be 'properly' fixed at the G2G.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:58 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey i got a little snafu on my .308
up on the front of the stock thingy there is a bolt that is used as a swivel to hold things like a bipod.
well the bolt is stripped out it looks like a fine thread of about a 6 or something.
would anyone goin to the campout have a tap,die, screw set up so it can get fixed?

i tried my local gun shop, to buy a replacement.
But they said that it is a robinson arms gun and they no longer try and get things from them, so i think a fix rather than a order new part may be necessary.
Not to hijack, but what campout ? David

Old 06-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User
Placermike, yip i will bring it to get opinions and options.

dmanlyr, the campout this weekend out on whidbey island, the g2g

Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User
Placermike, oh and on the 8-32 screw....

I was just using that 8-32 as a side by side comparison to show something close.
Ya i knew it was not a standard tap size that i had lying around.

dmanlyr, it is a .308 vepr, made by robinson arms, hmm russian i believe.
and ya, both the screw is messed up, and a very good chance the female threads are probably gnawed a bit too.

But again, as you stated hard to tell from a picture, so i will be bringing it to the g2g.
And ya im sure it would be better in a shop with a drill press and all the right tools and equipment,,,, but i think i don't own all the shiny objects like that

Old 06-20-2007, 11:10 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Placermike, yip i will bring it to get opinions and options.

dmanlyr, the campout this weekend out on whidbey island, the g2g
Thanks, I feel kinda stupid, I see the other thread on it. *This is a case of typing without engaging brain on my part* ... Wish I could come up and join the fun, maybe next time.

David