6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

"Woooo" noise around 60mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Woooo" noise around 60mph

Sorry for the goofy title, but I didn't know how else to explain it. At around 60mph with steady throttle, I occasionally hear a "wooooooooooo" noise from the engine area. The truck runs fine and there are no other issues. '04 250, 42k miles, Predator, 8"lift and 37" tires. Taking my best guess at the noise with my mechanical abilities, I'd almost say it's air passing through something. The noise actually sounds like when you blow air across the top of a beer bottle and get that "whistle" or "seashell" noise. It seems to always happen around the same speed, and will go away as quick as it shows up if you add or subtract a little throttle and change vehicle speed or RPMs.

Anyone here ever heard of this?

Old 06-12-2007, 07:08 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
It might be the fan going on and off. Your truck could be getting hot and the gauge will never tell you, but the fan will. There were also trucks that had turbo "drone" at a particular RPM that had a turbo pedastal change to eliminate the drone, but I think those were '03 trucks.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
It might be the fan going on and off. Your truck could be getting hot and the gauge will never tell you, but the fan will. There were also trucks that had turbo "drone" at a particular RPM that had a turbo pedastal change to eliminate the drone, but I think those were '03 trucks.
Thanks for the reply. This is definitely NOT a fan noise. I guess I should say that I am a Service Manager at a luxury auto dealership, so I know my way around cars- I'm just a diesel amateur, that's all.

That turbo drone sounds like a possibility. Any other ideas out there?

Old 06-12-2007, 07:43 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Do you happen to have the production date on your truck handy? The '04's had some quirky things about them by production date and that may help to know also.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:07 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
You might want to re-think that. Especially with the heat you have in FL. I'll bet you it's your fan. I've wrenched cars and trucks all my life and I've never heard a fan that sounds like the one in my truck. This was my first diesel. It only happened when I had my plow on while driving on the highway. The truck got hot causing the fan to spool up. It freaked me out until I figured it out.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:41 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
sounds like the fan coming on to me, mine rarely comes on except on hot days towing up a big hill.

If its a woosh.... woosh ... woosh.... might be the turbo sticking

Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Reidicus
Senior User
What are you RPM's looking like at 60 MHP? Could be a boost leak somewhere or your turbo. Causing your fuel pump to to make a whining or whooshing sound. Also take your MPG into account too. They will go down if you have this problem.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tampa250
It seems to always happen around the same speed, and will go away as quick as it shows up if you add or subtract a little throttle and change vehicle speed or RPMs.
I would lean towards the clutch fan as well, but the OP's statement above just doesn't really jive with that explanation. I could understand if he lets off of the accelerator a bit and the noise dies down. As that would lessen the load & heat generated, but the clutch fan makes its own characteristic fan noise (for lack of any better way to say it) that varies with RPM....not necessarily stop when you get above/below a specific RPM or speed range.

Maybe some harmonic range associated with the revolution, and possible imbalance, of the lift & larger tires? Driveshaft or tires would be prime candidates.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Pittsburgh-05HD
Senior User
If it is like a "ghost howling" noise more under load it is either the degas bottle cap leaking or the up pipe has a small crack in it, usually at the "y" section. This is becoming a very common problem.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh-05HD
If it is like a "ghost howling" noise more under load it is either the degas bottle cap leaking or the up pipe has a small crack in it, usually at the "y" section. This is becoming a very common problem.
So far, this post seems to have some likely causes that seem to match up with what I am hearing. This morning on the ride to work I paid attention a little more to see what makes this come about. I was using cruise control and had it set for 60mph (which with my 37" tires is obviously a little faster than indicated), and when I was at the CC speed and minimal throttle was being applied the "ghostly howling" noise could be heard. Again, this is not rhythmic or anything and really kinda comes in and out. I'll eat crow if I have to, but I swear this is not a fan. At any rate, when I approached a hill on the highway and the CC had to apply more throttle to get back to the 60mph, the noise stopped. As soon as I got over the hill and CC went back to almost closed-throttle due to being at 60mph, the noise returned. I took a quick look at the boost gauge and it looked like it was at ZERO boost when the noise was heard.

I think I'll check this up pipe and degas bottle, if someone can clue me in on what these are and where to look. Thanks so much for the help.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:31 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Deluxe05
I would lean towards maybe some harmonic range associated with the revolution, and possible imbalance, of the lift & larger tires? Driveshaft or tires would be prime candidates.
I think Deluxe hit it on the head here (I altered his wording as I was lazy). It could be the turbo moan/droan you are hearing that has been associated with these engines. Does it occur between 1.5K and 2K rpm's always?

Old 07-29-2007, 10:19 PM
buckweet1980
Senior User
Did you find out anything more on this.. My truck has started to do this as well and am trying to pinpoint what it is..

BuckWeet

Old 07-30-2007, 12:19 PM
jgarza250
Senior User
Mine has had it for a while and I still can't figure out what the noise is.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...the-6-0-a.html

Old 07-30-2007, 01:13 PM
sideshow
Elder User
i just bought an '05 F350 King Ranch. Love the truck, but not so much the sound i think you are describing. someone mentioned blowing across the top of a bottle. THAT is exactly the way mine sounds right around 1500-1700 rpm. i've tried to keep the throttle steady to see if it would make a continuous drone, but it comes on and off right around that rpm range. truck is stock, for now, but drives awesome. i'd hate to take it in, and have it come back performing worse, as it seems some have had happen. in the other tread it was mentioned to try the degas bottle cap. i guess i'll start there. and see if that does anything.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:41 PM
hott-rodd
Elder User
What type intake and exhaust?
Try unplugging the egr.

Quick Reply: "Woooo" noise around 60mph