S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Lookin' for a job!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:36 PM
05XLT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookin' for a job!

Anybody know of somewhere I can find a job in Orange County?

Old 06-12-2007, 04:08 PM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
What kind are you looking for? Minimum wage...or moe like a career sort of thing? If minimum wage then you could always try Target... seems like theyre always hiring...I worked for them for a year and it wasnt too bad. If youre lookin for more of a career....construction seems to be the field to be gettin into lately. Or you could always try sellin cars and trucks at a dealership.

Those are the three fields that jump to mind...mostly because of the high turn over rate that they seem to have...which means theres almost always a spot open somewhere.
-Chris
Edit: I saw on another post that youve done body work....I know that theres an outfit in Lake Elsinore thats been lookin...but it would mean a commute. I saw them advertising on the local cable propaganda channel.

Last edited by 73f350sc; 06-12-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:18 PM
05XLT
Senior User
I've done minor body work... not sure I want to continue with it, unless it leads into a custom shop career. I'm looking fro something that is or could lead to a career. Thanks for any help

Old 06-14-2007, 06:56 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A specialty job in the construction field pays well, and can be a lot of fun. I just sort of jumped into doing construction, and have been doing small jobs locally. $200-250 a day. Since my back's not to good, I'm not going to be able to do it for too long, and might just get certified to become an electrician. You should list some of your past work experience/skills on here, and see if anyone has any leads...

Old 06-14-2007, 07:26 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just curious Jason, why Orange County? I thought you a Nevadan? Seems you are making a move soon???

I agree about the construction field. Seems to be strong down there. It seems they'll keep on buildin till there aint no more dirt to build on.

While there is still some open space left down there, however, have you ever thought about fighting wildfires? A heck of allot of fun, and lots of excitement too. It might be a little late in the fire season for applying, but some of their new recruits do wash out, and that leaves vacancies that need to be filled. If you have a resume on file, they might just give ya a call. Ya never know.

But if you do get a job there, be prepared to work hard. It aint no picnic, fighting wildfires in Southern Cal... Lots of fun though, if you like to work, and like to work outdoors.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:31 PM
wassabe
Senior User
If you are looking for a good career check into working for a water district. The benefits are excellent, paid holidays, sick leave, medical, vision, and a good retirement. And most districts get every Friday off. Let me tell you, right now is the best time to start looking. Within the next few years there is going to be a huge shortage of qualified operators nationwide due to massive retirements. Southern California is no exception. The hiring has already begun and is expected to continue for quite some time. In fact, districts in Northern California are losing operators because they are being hired away from their districts for more money and better benefits from the larger districts. Like I said, this trend is expected to continue for some time. The real problem utilities are facing is finding qualified, state certified operators. This doesn't mean there aren't entry level jobs because there are. Lots of them, but most districts want you to get state certification within a certain time frame. I'm almost certain once you get hired the district pays for schooling too. PM me if you want more info.