Need a little 460 info on lifters and oil pump...help an ex-GM guy out:)

Old 06-11-2007, 11:41 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a little 460 info on lifters and oil pump...help an ex-GM guy out:)

OKay, we're putting together a 460 for the No. Cal chapter, my charter is to ready the engine...

I put in a SUmmit can and lifter set...forget the numbers, but the 503/503 lift cam (hyd. flat tappet)

Leads me to a question, since I couldn't get Summit to answer thier tech line...

Do I just soak the lifters in oil? Or just oil them up? Or pump them up in oil?

second questing is I'm putting in a new Melling oil pump, should it be pre filled, or can it be primed after installed?

I won't tell you why I'm asking these questions, but suffice it to say there's just a few diff's between BBF and SBC beside cubic inches

Old 06-12-2007, 12:17 AM
RNOVRIT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soak the lifters in oil over night or atleast of a couple hours if you can. Use plenty of assembly / cam lube upon assembly. Buy an oil pump priming tool and prime the pump just before initial start-up. Chevy uses a slot in the dist drive and Ford uses a hex drive. The benefit of priming is that you can also check for oil pressure before starting the engine and you get oil to all the bearings.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:31 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Instead of buying a pump primer, just use a 5/16" 1/4 drive socket and a 6" extension, tape the socket onto the extension (obvious reason. I use electrical tape pulled as tight as I can and wrap it) then a 1/2" drill in reverse and you can prime it that way. much easier and cheaper. Also prime until you have oil preasure turn the motor 90deg and do it again keep turing 90 deg until one full rev then your ready to fire it.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:02 PM
460me
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Didn't say what year.Soaking lifters is yes and no.As long as you prime the motor first.And if you pre-load the lifters than no.Look at crane cams site for more info about pre load and soaking lifters.And have the roating mass balanced,it's worth it.Good luck on the build.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:12 AM
fasthauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Monsterbaby has the right idea. The only thing different that I do is leave the valve covers off. You can see the oil coming out of the pushrods onto the rocker arms. When all of the rocker arms are saturated then I know the oil flow through the engine is good. The only time this didn't work was with a set of Crane lifters. They don't oil the pushrods through the lifter body.

Search this Thread