Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Hard steering to right``

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Owl
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Hard steering to right``

My 92 clubwagon has very hard steering to the right, fluid level is ok and the pump is not noisy and the steering to the left is fine. I believe its the steering box. If it is, will I have to replace the steering geer or is there something else I can do? Thanks.

Owl

Old 06-11-2007, 03:18 PM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of steering system does this vehicle have? Rack & pinion or Recipricating ball like on trucks and older cars? If its Rack & Pinion system its gona be the whole rack & pinion that needs to be replaced & possibly the pump also.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Owl
Freshman User
It's the reciprication ball system not the rack and pinion, my van is a full size E150 clubwagon with a 5L engine. Anybody had to take out the steering gear box? I'm in the process right now, and just looking for any comments or feedback on changing out the box. I'm taking one out from a wrecker and putting it in my van. My van will probably only last one or two years and that is wy I'm doing it from a wrecker. It's only 20 bucks if I take it out myself so I save a bundle this way. Thanks for your help.

Owl

Old 06-12-2007, 05:14 PM
jlgreen8
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need a steering gear box. I had the identical symptom on my F350. Wrecking yard part. It can be rebuilt but it's not cost effective, so replace it. For $20 you cant go wrong. The only hard part is pulling the pitnam arm off the sector shaft. You'll need a puller, unless the new part is off the same exact vehicle. You may as well buy the line wrenches to pull your steering hoses too (~$10). Open end wrenches will make you wanna start drinking early.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Owl
Freshman User
Thanks for the advice. I have the pitman arm puller but I'm wondering about the steering shaft that has the pinch bolt. I've removed the bolt but I'm wondering if the pinch will let the box drop or will I have to pry it open a bit?
Thanks.

Owl

Old 06-12-2007, 07:50 PM
jlgreen8
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always pryed the rag joint off by allowing the wheel to move up by loosening the pinch clamp on the shaft. The rag joint should have a blind spline so alignment is noteworthy upon reassembly. Since you don't have a clock spring to destroy, there is nothing to worry about just popping the coupler off.