1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

catalytic converter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:24 AM
azhomebrew
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catalytic converter question

Just got a 96 f250 with straight pipes. Live in tucson az and they enforce strict emission standards, including, having a catalytic converter. Any recomendations for a cat that won't completely restrict my flow?
chris

Old 06-11-2007, 09:35 AM
bigbadwolfe
Senior User
gut it google baz go to his site and go to tricks and mods and look for gutting the cat

Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, first the straight pipe system is illegal in all 50 states. In addition, gutting the cat is illegal. What you want is a cat that is going to provide the flow that your engine needs while still cleaning up the emissions. Go to www.bearriverconverters.com and talk to the guys over there. The price is very reasonable too. Tell them what you engine size and GVW is and they will get you set up with one of the freest flowing cats on the market today.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:49 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear River
Ok, first the straight pipe system is illegal in all 50 states. In addition, gutting the cat is illegal. What you want is a cat that is going to provide the flow that your engine needs while still cleaning up the emissions. Go to www.bearriverconverters.com and talk to the guys over there. The price is very reasonable too. Tell them what you engine size and GVW is and they will get you set up with one of the freest flowing cats on the market today.
And a $500 bill!

What type of testing do they do? tail pipe emissions or just a visual inspection?
If its just a visual inspection find an old truck in the junk yard and gut that converter and put it on. or if you really want to be legal just get one from the junk yard and throw it on there. Did your truck pass inspection when the previous owner had it inspected?

Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by azhomebrew
Just got a 96 f250 with straight pipes. Live in tucson az and they enforce strict emission standards, including, having a catalytic converter. Any recomendations for a cat that won't completely restrict my flow?
chris
If you can't find one let me know I have a couple around here somewhere.

LIke Tim says though, see if it's a visual inspection or a sniffer up the pipe. I didn't think a sniffer is used for diesels but IDK, here in good ole Michigan there are no emmision tests. We got rid of that state money maker a few years ago.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:03 PM
95psd
Senior User
They use an opaque test here in S.W. Washington. Load up on Diesel Clean before you go have it tested. Mine passed no problem.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Did you pass with no cat? I live in Pierce county and need to pass the test before I can get tabs for mine. Prior owner removed the cat so I'm in the same boat and a little bit worried. They don't sniff it, they just check soot right? I think that's what I read on the dept. of ecology site.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:30 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

If you have a stock truck, or a chipped truck in the stock position I don't think you will have enough smoke to fail the test. Cat or no cat.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:41 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
That's what I'm hoping. I bought a rig that ran like crap and can't get tabs till I get it tested. Got my fingers crossed that it goes ok at the test once I get it running good.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:49 PM
95psd
Senior User
Correct, no cat, I also put it back to stock tune. They did not do a visual look just the opaque test.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Get a high flow cat probably worth the extra money if it is i dont know it might be the same price as a regulare cat

Old 06-13-2007, 02:31 AM
mcdavidson
Senior User
Just a hunch, but I thought when I was checking into my '97, I was told that '96 didn't have a cat, If it did not come with one, you are NOT required to have one... Better to be sure than to spend 300 - 500 bucks... I did the Magnaflow on my '97, but I also welded in stack breaks so I can remove the cat and go to a straight pipe after inspections

Old 06-13-2007, 06:54 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

all 94.5 to 97's had cats as far as I know, well atleast from the factory they did!

Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I talked with our Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) guys here in Idaho. I was told that the '97 (I have a '97, so that's what I was interested in) had a cat from the factory.

That means, for me, it is a FEDERAL requirement to have the cat installed to pass the visual inspection. That's for Ada County vehicles. I live in Canyon County and am not subject to emissions inspections, yet. Either way, if I can increase my exhaust flow and still run a "clean" truck, I'd rather do that. If I can get a high-flow cat installed for less than it costs to gut a cat and run a straight pipe through it, I'd consider doing that.

I'm California-born, bred, and raised. That being said, I've lived with performance vs. emissions issues since I began driving. Notice I didn't say, "since I was licensed to drive."

So, give me a high-flowing cat that won't cause me to park my truck because I can't afford fuel, and I'll buy one. If not, and IF I think I can get away with it, I'll buy the junkyard cat, gut it, and straight-pipe it to the aftermarket exhaust and downpipe I could buy with the money I saved.

Bear River - I'd like some information on products available for a '97 F-350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed. Send me a PM and I'll give you my contact info. I'm going to check out the website right now.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 PM
mcdavidson
Senior User
Lightbulb

MooseMan, I live in ADA county, paid $376 for the Magnaflow 4" cat...

Can give you the info on the model # or just go to their web page and get their #

Martel Brothers Racing Products Inc.
cart@martelbrothers.com

Payment For Quantity Price
Martel Brothers
$376.96 USD
Subtotal: $376.96
USD Shipping & Handling: $0.00
USD Sales Tax: $0.00 USD
Total Amount: $376.96 USD

I got my stack breakers here (you know, just in case I ever needed to put an interchangeable straight pipe in)

Airflo

Portland
5272 SE International Way
Portland, OR 97222
(503) 659-9120 / 1-800-762-9876
Fax: (503) 654-2418

Order taken by Beck

Part number 43J-400 Flange kit (X3)

Estimated cost $80.00

Originally Posted by IDMooseMan
I talked with our Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) guys here in Idaho. I was told that the '97 (I have a '97, so that's what I was interested in) had a cat from the factory.

That means, for me, it is a FEDERAL requirement to have the cat installed to pass the visual inspection. That's for Ada County vehicles. I live in Canyon County and am not subject to emissions inspections, yet. Either way, if I can increase my exhaust flow and still run a "clean" truck, I'd rather do that. If I can get a high-flow cat installed for less than it costs to gut a cat and run a straight pipe through it, I'd consider doing that.

I'm California-born, bred, and raised. That being said, I've lived with performance vs. emissions issues since I began driving. Notice I didn't say, "since I was licensed to drive."

So, give me a high-flowing cat that won't cause me to park my truck because I can't afford fuel, and I'll buy one. If not, and IF I think I can get away with it, I'll buy the junkyard cat, gut it, and straight-pipe it to the aftermarket exhaust and downpipe I could buy with the money I saved.

Bear River - I'd like some information on products available for a '97 F-350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed. Send me a PM and I'll give you my contact info. I'm going to check out the website right now.

Quick Reply: catalytic converter question