Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4r100 linkage adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:19 PM
marvinlong
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4r100 linkage adjustment

I know this is the wrong place to ask,forgive me,but couldn't find anything elseware. Is there a way to adjust the linkage? I first noticed my shifter arm wouldnt go to low without jiggleing it a bit. Now my shifting lever feels sloppy. Any advice will be appreciated.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the "Slop" is in the lever

Cable Adjustment —Shift Indicator
Remove the upper instrument panel steering column cover.
Place the gearshift lever in the (D) position.
Rotate the gearshift lever clockwise until it bottoms out (first gear), then rotate two detents counterclockwise ((D) position).
Hang an eight pound weight on the gearshift lever.
Center the pointer in the middle of the (D) position.
Rotate the thumbwheel located on the bottom of the steering column to adjust the pointer.

Remove the eight pound weight.
Carefully move the gearshift lever from detent to detent and compare with transmission settings. Readjust if necessary.
Install the upper instrument panel steering column cover.

If it is not in the lever PM me your email address for instructions on adjusting the linkage at the DTR sensor.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:58 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
This might be an appropriate place to ask this question, as it concerns the tranny shifter position indicator:

I want to pull my instrument panel completely out of the truck. I know how to remove the bezel (whew, DO I!!), and have taken out the four retaining screws, but the little cable prevents me from lifting the panel out. Is there a way to disconnect the cable from the gauge cluster. I've attached a photo below of where it meets the cluster. There's clear, white, and black plastic pieces involved.

Or, should this come loose at the other end of the cable completely?

Anybody know the secret?

Pop

Attached Images  

Last edited by SpringerPop; 06-10-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From the Manual

To disconnect the transmission range indicator.
Push in the two clips and pull out the transmission range indicator. Position the indicator aside.

Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2007, 01:39 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Ah-HAH! It comes out as a sub-assembly!

I GOTTA get my "cup holder" fixed. It was extended out one day when I dropped my foot off this computer desk and bent it down REAL bad! I've got a new one, with DVD writing capabilities, even, but I haven't got that Round Tuit that will let me install it so I can see my OWN manual.

Modern problems...

Thanks, Alan.

Pop

Old 06-10-2007, 04:39 PM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the shift linkage feels sloppy follow the shift cable to where it attaches to the linkage on the steering column. The cable attached to an arm that is attached to the shaft inside the column with two torx screws. The screws loosen and will cause the indicator to be off. If the screws are loose, remove them one at a time, put a dab of loctite on the threads and re-install.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:27 PM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
This is a helpful post. I will have to check the torx screws like slc said. My shift indicator doesn't line up right, and if i try to drop it in man.1 it is actually in 2, and if i adjust it on the trans that it will go in man.1 then it won't go into park or if it does its not far enough to let the truck start in park. i'l have to check that out.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 PM
marvinlong
Senior User
I beleive it is in the lever by how I jiggle it to go in 1st. Great write-up info. This will be tomorrows top priority,will let yall know then! Thanks

Old 06-11-2007, 12:54 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mustang_gt_350
This is a helpful post. I will have to check the torx screws like slc said. My shift indicator doesn't line up right, and if i try to drop it in man.1 it is actually in 2, and if i adjust it on the trans that it will go in man.1 then it won't go into park or if it does its not far enough to let the truck start in park. i'l have to check that out.
the actual indicator is on a spring setup with a little dial like wheel that will let you adjust it into the correct position. Been a while since I have done mine but don't think you have to take the cluster out to adjust it.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by slc10844
If the shift linkage feels sloppy follow the shift cable to where it attaches to the linkage on the steering column. The cable attached to an arm that is attached to the shaft inside the column with two torx screws. The screws loosen and will cause the indicator to be off. If the screws are loose, remove them one at a time, put a dab of loctite on the threads and re-install.
This fixed my problem fantastically. Sometimes it wouldn't start in Park and shifter wouldn't get tranny into first gear. Tightend the two screws and problem solved. I took the screws out and put on some loctite. Everything works as it should now.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

Originally Posted by slc10844

This sure fixed my sloppy linkage! Thanks. Reps given!

Old 03-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Billyclub
Senior User
Took apart my column today in hopes of taking out some slop in the shifter handle. Turns out everything appears to be good and tight under the cover. Looked for the adjustment wheel that was spoken of earlier in the post but couldn't find it. more slop in the shifter than I would think is normal. Had a new HD4R100 put in December and we adjusted the white clip down beside the tranny so the pointer is in the right spot when shifted. Any thoughts.
Also the torx screws that I say are tight are the ones just under the pointer assembly are there screws further in that can come loose?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:31 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 AM
hmbrewr
New User
You guys and this forum are fantastic. I was having trouble finding reverse in my 2000 350 and was getting ready to go to a tranny shop when I spied this thread. Sure enough, the T 30 Torx screws were loose. 2 mins to tighten and I was good to go. Earlier this year I had a fuel leak. I Contacted Guzzle and next thing I knew I had the fuel filter out and rebuilt with new O rings. I was pretty apprehensive, but I figured with the help of this forum I would get through it. It wasn't difficult, but it was tedious. Thanks to all who are on this forum, especially to all the "Gurus". I wish I knew some of you guys personally so I could buy you an adult beverage. George

Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hmbrewr
I wish I knew some of you guys personally so I could buy you an adult beverage. George
Where in CA do you live? We're having a Tech Day in Morgan Hill Apr 16th. LINK

You could bring some of your home brew. If it's the kind you can drink.

Quick Reply: 4r100 linkage adjustment