2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help turn off door chime& take off lower steer columm cover

Old 06-09-2007, 09:22 PM
desertford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help turn off door chime& take off lower steer columm cover

I found a thread to turn off door chime when key is in ignition it said unplug black and pink wire it was for 06 I have a 07 I went out to take off lower steering colum cover saw one screw took it off cover still firmly on there i tend to break things with to much force so any help with this process would be appreciated

Old 06-10-2007, 12:08 AM
STXTEXAS
Junior User
Trim has two screws, one on each side of bottom and has two snap pins on the top of trim. Trim is pretty strong so don"t be afraid to pull.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:11 AM
desertford
Senior User
STXTEXAS I can only find one screw there is a hole that looks smaller and I dont see a screw in there at all its kinda in the middle could it be just one screw on the 07's holding it on Anyone got a shopmanual for 07 showing that lower trim Thanks

Old 07-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Stephan_K
New User
OK....here is the scoop on what not to do and what to do when disabling the annoying chime when leaving the key in the ignition. After reading a couple different threads regarding this issue, I attempted this task 2 different ways as I didn’t know which one would apply to the 07 model F150. The 2 methods I read about were for 04 models which ARE definitely different.

First method was to remove the key tumbler assembly and insulate contacts that enable the chime to sound when the key was in the ignition.
<O
Second method was to find the wire coming from the ignition assembly and remove it from the plug.

After investigating both of these methods let me instruct you on what to do.

First remove the bottom steering column cover. This is mandatory for either method. Also before removing the bottom steering column shroud, you have to remove the dash panel directly under it as the steering panel has a flange that lays behind it. To remove the bottom steering cover first remove the one screw holding it in place underneath. You will have to pull on it pretty hard twisting it a bit to get the flange out from behind the steering wheel to completely remove it.
<O
Method 2: (we will start with method 2 since it is the one that works and is the easiest to perform)

<OOn the left side of the column there is a plug just behind the tilt steering lever. Within this plug is a black wire with a pink stripe. Remove the plug from its socket and insert a jewelers screwdriver in behind the clip where the black w/pink stripe wire is located and push the plastic tab inward that is holding the metal clip in the plug. At the same time pull the wire clip out of the plug completely. If you press on the plastic tab correctly the metal clip will slide out easily. Tape this puppy off with some electrical tape and tuck it away in the wire harness out of the way of everything. Put the plug back in its socket and put everything back together and you are good to go. No more chime when the key is in the ignition. This method can be done in less than 5 minutes by just about anyone.

To make it even quicker (but somewhat non reversible without some extra work down the road should you ever decide to hook it back up) just cut the wire and tape it off.
<O
NOW…….WHAT NOT TO DO!!!!

Method 1: (this method does not work on the 07 model F150’s)

Remove the screw that holds the black ring and electrical plug assembly on the front of the key hole and key assembly housing. Under the key assembly you will find a little hole. Turn the key just past the accessory “on” position and with a small nail set or punch, push in on the little round tab in the hole under the assembly. The key tumbler assembly will slide out of the housing as if you were removing the key from its keyhole. You have to get the key in just the right position to do this. You may have to wiggle it back and forth a bit until you find it.
<O
After removing the key assembly from its housing you will notice a round white plastic button in the center of the housing. When this plastic button is pushed in, the chime sounds. This is the only “switch” for the chime. Earlier models had something different from what I read. Metal tabs that could be insulated or bent out of the way to disable the chime. There is nothing like this in the 07 model (the one that I have anyhow, I assume they are all the same)
<O
I attempted to grab the plastic button with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out. This is not possible and not a problem. However, in the process I accidentally turned the “part” in the housing that the key assembly actually turns when the key assembly is in the housing when the key is being used normally. I ended up turning the “part” counter clockwise instead of clockwise as it would normally go. I do believe I turned it farther counterclockwise than it normally goes when everything is assembled normally. Some type of electrical contact was made. I ended up getting the “part” back in its original position to receive the key assembly (as it has to be lined up perfectly to put back together) After putting everything back together as I originally found it, the key worked just fine. All the accessories worked, lights, radio everything worked as it should when the key was in. Everything was good however the only problem I now had was that the truck would not start!
<O
You could turn the key all the way to turn it over but no starter. You can hear the relays clicking in the fuse box. I checked all the fuses, swapped out relays and still the same problem. Truck won’t start but everything else works as it is supposed to.
<O
Needless to say I called road side assistance and my truck was picked up an hour ago going back to the dealership it just came from a week and a half ago

Moral of this story…..Don’t mess with method 1. Method 2 works perfect!
<O

Does anyone have any idea what I could have possibly done to cause this issue? For the life of me I cannot figure out what could have gone wrong…………
<O

Stephan
<O

Old 07-02-2007, 06:02 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
stephan: why are you trying to disable the door chime? sounds like you made something in the ignition short out. i am assuming the ignition was still plugged in while you were attempting this? I have unplugged many ignition plugs back in my install days and never had any issues. there are usually 12v constant wires running to them and you must of somehow shorted it with another wire is what it sounds like.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Stephan_K
New User
The constant dinging when the key is in the ignition is a pain in butt when the door is open. With all my vehicles the keys are always in the ignition (If not then they end up lost ) and the door open quite a bit too........listen to the radio when working and such.

As far as I know I didn't short anything in the ignition, unless the actual mechanics of the ignition system actually allow for a short to happen by turning it counter clockwise as i accidently did. I checked all the fuses thinking that one may have blew but everything was fine.

I never crossed any wires, shorted any connections or even came close to doing so while plugging and unplugging sockets and removing the chime wire. Can't figure out what happened. The only thing I can possibly think of that could have happened is that by turning the ignition counter clockwise until some contact was made inside the ignition system itself (which clearly sounded like some kind of contact was made) may have cleared something vital in the memory of a chip or something. Other than that I am completely lost. Everything mechanically is quite simple and electronically....well obviously much more complicated

Is the ignition itself designed to and capable of editing memory chip data somewhere in the vehicle when turned a certain way?

Sometime tomorrow when Ford calls me flipping out that the problem they found could only happen if someone was monkeying around with something they weren't supposed to be, I guess I'll have all my answers .......and a heft non warranty covered bill to go along with it

Old 07-02-2007, 08:02 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
well good luck and let us know what the dealer tells ya.

Search this Thread