Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2007, 07:39 PM
New User

JOgle1185 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Laggy Throttle

I have a 97 ranger and when u initially press the gas down about an inch or so the motor will shake the whole truck and run rough, push it farther and it smooths out and seems fine. It also idles fine. Does anyone have an idea what this could be? I've replaced the fuel filter and the air filter is new. I also cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body. The spark plugs appear to be fine and supposedly the wires are newer. I just bought the truck from someone else. It has about 300,000 miles on it. Also, when initially releasing the clutch in first gear, you have to keep the throttle pressed nearly halfway down to avoid sputtering.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
At 300k, you may just be in need of a rebuild. Before you spend too much time trying to diagnois it, do a leakdown/compression test.

A middle range miss is odd, my thinking is your engine is not putting out sufficent power. Fuel and air are fine at idle and once you get rolling, but your losing compression and power.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 06-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Senior User

Pinhead-227 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Probably need a valve job. Does it smoke/use oil? If not, I'd do as ReAX suggested (leakdown/compression test). Have you pulled any codes lately?

Quote:
The farmer is the only man in any economy that buys everything retail, sells everything wholesale, and pays shipping both ways.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:27 AM
New User

You're probably right, because running higher octane fuel lessens the problem dramatically. Being that the truck has eight plugs, do i need to removed all eight, or just one side to do the compression test?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
Hi and welcome to the site!

Just remove the plugs from one side to do the test. You need to other 4 in place to hold the compression in the cylinder being tested.

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:24 PM
New User

Hey thanks guys, it ended up being a PCV valve. In fact, although the check engine light wasn't on, it pulled codes p1506 and p1721 I think it was, anyway IAC high idle, and rich bank one and two... The PVC valve replacement cleared the codes and got rid of the lagginess. Says a lot about their motors. 300,000+ miles and still running strong. (odometer broke at 261,000 though, so not positive of mileage)
Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 PM
New User

NOTE: just because your PCV valve rattles, doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Mine did, and replacement still made a difference.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines