How can I get better gas mileage with my 3.0

Old 09-05-2004, 07:11 AM
jdhudall
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy How can I get better gas mileage with my 3.0

I have a 98 ford ranger xlt extended cab short box step side with 3.0V6 auto with od and 4.10 gears. I put a 3" body lift and 33" tires and my gas mileage went from 20mpg to 14mpg! What can I do to get some of my mileage back Help! When I am at 55 my tach is at 2000 rpms at 65 it runs about 2400 rpms what kind of rpms should give me the best mpg! Is their any bolt ons that might give me better gas mileage! I have dual exhaust,k&n air filter ,and throtle body spacer! I have a 79 mustang cobra with built up 351W with 400hp and it gets 15mpg! HELP HELP HELP!!!!

Old 09-05-2004, 08:42 PM
agelder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uhhh... remove the body lift, giant tires, and gears.

You take MUCH more gas/throttle to move the giant (heavier) tires, as they weigh more and the mass is farther from the hub (requiring more power to move). Let's not mention that their contact patch is larger (more rolling friction) and they certainly don't help aerodynamics (the lift kills most of that though). Gears are the self explanatory problem/benefit, you run at a higher rpm and use more fuel at a given RPM than a stocker, but this compensates for your mega tires in acceleration somewhat, so you're not a slug.

You've already got the K&N, do you have an intake or is it a drop in? Ford isn't known for it's high flowing stock intakes, and it MAY help a little. As may headers, but that's speculation (since you make more power, you don't need as much throttle to accelerate :P). That's about it... not much can be done. Make sure you're plugs/dist/wires are good and at the right gap, clean the K&N regularly, and don't jump on it as much. Such is the price to pay for a cool looking lifted truck. But... you can make up mileage by cutting through lawns and such.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:41 PM
jdhudall
Senior User
Thanks for the reply it made me laugh especially your last sentence about cutting through lawns and such!!!! My k&n is a drop in as for the gears the truck came with the 4.10s and it still got 20mpg! I know the lift and the big tires are the reason for the bad mpg but I just want to get some of the mpg back! I wouldn't mind trying headers and maybe underdrive pulleys but where can I find some! I love how the lift and big tires makes the truck look I would love to get a couple mpg back some how! Thanks again for the reply!!!

Old 09-06-2004, 09:01 PM
agelder
Senior User
Do you have an electric fan (reduces rotating mass on engine)? That can help some, but not much. Between that, some headers, a better intake pipe, and some underdrive pullies (but not on the alternator if you're going for an electric fan). Make it easier for your engine to breathe and maybe get a few MPG back. Have you thought about milder (but still good) gears?

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2004, 09:57 PM
jdhudall
Senior User
Exclamation

Do you know where I could find some good performance parts for the 3.0!!

Old 10-08-2004, 01:37 AM
hood
Senior User
Cover the bed or throw away your tailgate!

-hooD

Old 10-08-2004, 11:37 PM
jdhudall
Senior User
I have a bed cover already do you have any other idea's!

Old 11-02-2004, 10:29 PM
jdhudall
Senior User
I ordered a cold air intake with K&N filter,underdrive pulley,electric fan,and I put a Y pipe in off the cat to dual 2.25 with no muffler! I already have a throtlebody spacer and I am thinking about a superchip! What kind of hp and mpg can I expect after all of the mods!!

Old 11-07-2004, 02:33 PM
jdhudall
Senior User
I was wondering about the magnetic fuel savers do they actually work!! They claim to give you 11.6% about 2 mpg gain just by putting a magnet over your fuel line! Has anyone tried these let me know if they helped!!

Old 11-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdhudall
I was wondering about the magnetic fuel savers do they actually work!! They claim to give you 11.6% about 2 mpg gain just by putting a magnet over your fuel line! Has anyone tried these let me know if they helped!!

Big scam.....put the stock tires back on, and change your driving habits, guaranteed to improve gas mileage!!

Old 11-08-2004, 04:39 PM
jdhudall
Senior User
I like the lift and the big tires and I baby the throtle I just want to gain some mpg and hp back with the big tires!! Thanks

Old 11-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdhudall
I like the lift and the big tires and I baby the throtle I just want to gain some mpg and hp back with the big tires!! Thanks
The only way to do that is to change the diff. ratios (higher numerical).

Old 11-09-2004, 10:19 PM
jdhudall
Senior User
I have 4:10 gears now what would you run with 33" tires!

Old 11-12-2004, 09:53 PM
jdhudall
Senior User
Does anyone no where to find the cheapest headers for the 3.0 the only ones I have found where at performance truck parts.com and they where $400 and that is way to expensive! I bought a set of long tube headers for my 78 ford for $95 why are the little 3.0 headers so much!!!

Old 11-14-2004, 07:38 PM
jdhudall
Senior User
Is there anything that can help my mpg besides what I have added and done so far!!!!
I added cold air intake,throtle body spacer,underdrive pulleys,open dual exhaust,and I have a electric fan on order. I also gave it a tune up and I aired up the tires to near max pressure and I am running pure synthetic motor oil! PLEASE HELP I have been getting 12-15 mpg I know I can get a little better than that!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How can I get better gas mileage with my 3.0