Every once in a while I go to start my truck and when i turn the key the starter turns over and makes a horrendous grinding noise...like when the truck is already running and you try start it....but mine is from a cold start.
Seems to happen every once in a while. No consistancy in the occurances, winter, summer, fall, rain or shine or dry or humid.
Sometimes I'll go months without hearing it then all of a sudden it'll screech. Other times I dont even want to start the truck on account of the racket.
I'm totally guessing here that some teeth are worn or wearing off the flywheel and when the truck shuts off the starter gear just happens to rest on the worn section.
Thats what I'd thought. I wanted to confirm my suspicions is all. I supposed I'd have to drop the tranny to play with that. If I can dedicate some garage space I just might. Or I'lll leave it be, it's been like that for a while. Truck is too old to warrant that kind of effort.
could be bad for the teeth on the starter if its ripping at messed up teeth on the flywheel though, in anycase, it cant be good for anything in there, but yeah youd at least have to slip the tranny back a little ways
Mine has done the same thing for 3 years since I owned the truck about the same occurance you have descrbed and hasn't gotten worse, so I wouldn't worry about it. When it does it, just stop right away, let it sit a second and 90% of the time, it will start next time with no grinding. The other 10% takes three tries, but that is only happened to me like 3 or 4 times total.
Mine has done the same thing since it was new and that was almost 8 years ago, and 160,000 miles. I still have the original starter and it still does it. I believe the problem is the solenoid that engages the starter drive that is occasionally weak. At least that is what my friend who is a damned good mechanic told me. I didn't know that there was such a solenoid, but there is. I found this out this past winter on one of the worst days that we had. I was in the process of taking out the starter when by accident i jumped across the terminals of the solenoid that is mounted to the starter. Doing this caused the starter motor to turn, but not engage the bendix. The bendix is engaged by the solenoid that is mounted next to your battery on the firewall. After finding this out, I was able to jump across the terminals of the upper solenoid and make the truck turn over. It is either the solenoid, or the ignition switch that is causing the problem. I was able to narrow it down to the two with help from my mechanic friend. But since these starters, ignition switches, and solenoids are very expensive I have not replaced any of it because it started working again. Go figure and good luck.
My 01 has done this occasionally since I got it three years ago. One thing I've noticed - if I turn the key on, turn off all accessories (lights, a/c fan, radio), and wait for the fuel pump to shut off... it rarely does it. But, if I jump in and just hit the switch it'll do it frequently. That tells me it's electrical.. but I've cleaned all of the connections on the battery and the starter. Even replaced the starter.
I've scoured these forums before... using different keywords I found one post where the guy had paid Ford to replace the starter, then the flywheel... and it still did it! I know the service manager at a local Ford dealership but when I called him he said starter. I said I had already done that, he said flywheel. Just can't believe it.
A buddy said he saw a TSB for a similar issue on a Toyota and the fix was a larger ground wire. I went in search of the ground wire (from the engine to the frame) and didn't find it. Anyone know where the ground points are on an 01 or of a reference that would list them?
Mine does this too and it is extremely aggrevating! I had my mechanic rebuild the starter in Feb. and in April my husband put in a brand new one. It worked fine for about a month or so then started the grinding again. It doesn't do it all the time, but it does it enough to make the kids scared and me worried it won't start at all. I just want it fixed so I don't have to worry about being stranded somewhere with the kids.
I have the same problem and it sounds like people are just feeding in starters to put off the very expensive flywheel replacement but I think that is the main source of our problems and the only to even check it is to separate the tranny and block.
One other thing that as been brought up is that the starter isn't mounted right and is moving around when starting.