1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48 One-Piece Window Glass - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:29 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
48 One-Piece Window Glass - HELP!

Okay guys, I finally got my door windows partially installed. The problem I'm having is that the window channel doesn't go into the door recess as far as I'd like...especially where the vent window used to be. Did anyone else run into this and how did you fix it? It's almost as though the window channel is too deep for the door recess. The window kit was from Vintage Glass. Also, there are screws that retained the original channel on the rear and top part of the door but none in the front where the vent glass was. There is nothing in the instructions about drilling any extra holes in the old vent glass area to mount the channel. Did you use screws to hold the window channel in or some other method...possibly glue it? I also have two slotted small 'L' brackets that are supposed to be part of this installation somewhere but they are never mentioned in the instructions. Anybody know where these go?

Old 06-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vern I can't help with the channel being too deep for the recess. I can tell you that I just did this to my 40 coupe and used Goop silicone adhesive. In my case the recess was too deep and I made some wood blocks to fill gap. What did Vintage Glass say about it?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:54 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Joe Gaddy
Vern I can't help with the channel being too deep for the recess. I can tell you that I just did this to my 40 coupe and used Goop silicone adhesive. In my case the recess was too deep and I made some wood blocks to fill gap. What did Vintage Glass say about it?
I haven't called them on this. The last time I called I more or less told them what I thought of their installation instructions so I doubt f they want to hear any further from me...

On the silicone adhesive, did you just put it in the recess and tighten the window glass against the channel until it dried? How long ago did you do that? Is it holding up well? I'm thinking that might be easier than trying to put screws through the channel into a blind hole.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used clamps of various sizes and masking tape to hold it in place. I used this product [Goop Automotive] years ago to hold some flat emblems on the cap surace of some aluminum wheels. I was told it was outstanding, and it was. They remained in place for a few years, then I sold the car. Back in the mid 80's I had a Pontiac that used some type of adhesive "strip" to hold the center of the door panel tight to the door. After replacing the factory stuff twice, I used this Goop. End of problem. I see no reason it will not hold this window channel in place, along with the metal channel it fits in inside the door. Several magazine articles I had seen on this used adhesive as opposed to screws. Joe

Old 06-09-2007, 03:36 PM
jmerson
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one-piece

Greatnorthwoods,
I did a one piece in my '48 F-1 without the benefit of a kit and it turned out all right, I hope. If I remember right there were several spots that were raised in comparison to the rest of the channel area. Take a cut off blade on a hand grinder and go inside the area and clean it up. With trial and error you can get the right depth. I also extended the channel down the hinge side of the door and anchored it to the rear of the door. Just noticed the part about the "L" shaped brackets. Probably to anchor the end of the channel that I mentioned above. I made a " U " shaped piece out of metal and attached it to the door and then put the material into it.

Last edited by jmerson; 06-09-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:36 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
By "clean it up? do you mean you cut the area out of the recess where the channel goes? It seems that if you did that then the channel would go in too far. What did you do about "dew wipes","anti-rattle strips", or "fuzzies" or whatever they call them?