Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

How hard is it? .... no pun intended

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:10 AM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard is it? .... no pun intended

How hard is it to put a new flywheel on an engine? I have another F250 4x4 now but I need to pull the engine and put a heavy duty flywheel on it. Problem is my mechanic became to busy to come out. Darn truck. I need this new one up and running so I can get to school. I could rent a cherry picker but I need to know if there are any problems I may run into. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:50 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oneminizut
How hard is it to put a new flywheel on an engine? I have another F250 4x4 now but I need to pull the engine and put a heavy duty flywheel on it. Problem is my mechanic became to busy to come out. Darn truck. I need this new one up and running so I can get to school. I could rent a cherry picker but I need to know if there are any problems I may run into. Thanks in advance.
G'morning John, you've said that you didn't have much mechanicing experience, so it will be sort of hard.

Disconnect a battery terminal. Remove the starter. Block up the tranny, or preferably support it using a rolling tranny jack. Remove the forward end of the driveshaft from the rear of the bellhousing. Separate the tranny from the engine at the front of the bell housing. Move the tranny a few inches to the rear. The big toothed flywheel at the front of the tranny bell housing can then be unbolted.

*If reusing an old flywheel, it's best to resurface it with a diamond-wheel flywheel grinder at a shop.

After your new flywheel is installed, bolt the tranny back to the motor etc. When you bolt the starter back on be careful to shim it correctly so that it smoothly engages the flywheel when starting the engine.

The best place for this post is in the appropriate year-of-the-truck section in the main FTE forum, because I bet there will be probs and will get more answers there. I'll subscribe to that thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
John, Are you still alive? are you coming to the G2G or??

Originally Posted by RexB
G'morning John, you've said that you didn't have much mechanicing experience, so it will be sort of hard.

Disconnect a battery terminal. Remove the starter. Block up the tranny, or preferably support it using a rolling tranny jack. Remove the forward end of the driveshaft from the rear of the bellhousing. Separate the tranny from the engine at the front of the bell housing. Move the tranny a few inches to the rear. The big toothed flywheel at the front of the tranny bell housing can then be unbolted.

*If reusing an old flywheel, it's best to resurface it with a diamond-wheel flywheel grinder at a shop.

After your new flywheel is installed, bolt the tranny back to the motor etc. When you bolt the starter back on be careful to shim it correctly so that it smoothly engages the flywheel when starting the engine.

The best place for this post is in the appropriate year-of-the-truck section in the main FTE forum, because I bet there will be probs and will get more answers there. I'll subscribe to that thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:19 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MARTYSTOWRIG
John, Are you still alive?
Funny, my mother keeps asking the same thing.

Originally Posted by MARTYSTOWRIG
Are you coming to G2G?
Not sure yet. The both of us are so busy. I'm trying to cover two advanced programming courses in one quarter plus another physics. She has the three jobs. The wolf isn't good around new people so we would have to board the dogs. And I feel the new truck might not be up and running by then. Looks a little bad right now.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:42 PM
nighthawk285
Posting Guru
haven't seen you around in a while John, good to know you're still here.....its pretty much what rex said for toughness....

not really that bad, also, you would need to disconnect front & rear drivelines, maybe transfer case linkage, trans linkage, but thats just to get enough backsliding room to get the tranny far enough back to where you can actually get in there and do something.......

Old 06-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Placermike
Postmaster

Not sure yet. The both of us are so busy. I'm trying to cover two advanced programming courses in one quarter plus another physics. She has the three jobs. The wolf isn't good around new people so we would have to board the dogs. And I feel the new truck might not be up and running by then. Looks a little bad right now.
If you can you can, but if not...You will have missed out on a great time.
In any case, WB to posting...you are a part of the chapter.

Mike

Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master

I think I would be ok with you driving the "other auto" tothe G2G. Besides I thought you had 2 trucks? are either of them running?

If I can help Let me know. Sure would like to see you there!!

We could keep the PUP tied to a distant tree where he/she/it would not get too excited

Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
It's a public park

Last edited by RexB; 06-08-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:52 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by RexB
It's a public park
????

as long as the pup is contained and on leash in a controlled area thare should be no concern.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:06 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
...The wolf isn't good around new people so we would have to board the dogs.
John knows the reason and has already spoken.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:08 AM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
gotcha ]

Old 06-09-2007, 12:23 AM
RexB
Posting Guru

John, what do you think about replacing the flywheel after that job description? The first time splitting a tranny off and back together might take four? six? hours. The next time goes a lot faster.

If nothing goes wrong, and it seems like something always goes wrong and at least one trip to the parts store.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:48 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
...here's pictures of a flywheel (the first picture) and clutch during disassembly.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...utch-pics.html

Old 06-09-2007, 11:55 AM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Depending how long it takes for my friend to get out here I might go ahead with it myself. I learned the bigger parts are easier for me anyways. The small parts I have Emily come out and do since she has tiny hands. I liked the photos though. I just need to have it re-surfaced I guess.

But about the pup... I don't even know if she is legal in that county. I really would rather not tie her to a tree for two days. I'll see what happens with everything as crunch time and stress reduce. lol

Old 06-09-2007, 02:25 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
But about the pup... I don't even know if she is legal in that county. I really would rather not tie her to a tree for two days. I'll see what happens with everything as crunch time and stress reduce. lol
Good point, wolf hybrids aren't legal here unless permanently in a shelter described below. As we know all the people Donna works with the past ten years at the shelter, Animal Control got rid of the last known wolf hybrid here a year ago.

Enclosed kennel: 6-foot tall 9-gauge chainlink or better, inward tilting barbed wire on top (they can climb, just like my Malamute.) Paved floor, or chainlink laid on the ground and attached to the chainlink walls.

They can't legally be kept in houses here as they will repeatedly bust through the windows and screen doors, or in barns because they are good diggers under the walls to outside. Before eradication they had killed many livestock, pets and knocked down children here. A few bites before being beaten off. I've had half-wild and wild critters as pets and around me; Not successful and I stopped. I haven't seen domestication yet although have read about it in books.

Quick Reply: How hard is it? .... no pun intended