can anyone tell me bout dual fuel set-ups

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:35 PM
rsalter66
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can anyone tell me bout dual fuel set-ups

i've been hearing bout dual fuel? propane + gasoline? how do you do it? can ya switch back n forth? can you use the pane as a power adder? with nitrous" + supercharger? so many question's i have! can anyone point me in the direction of a site for answer's? thank's

Old 06-07-2007, 10:51 PM
christcorp
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no idea on the hows of it. I can only say that it definitely exists and does apparently work fine. I retired from the Air Force in 1999, and about 6 months before I left, I got a new van for our maintenance shop. It had a regular gasoline fuel tank as well as a propane tank behind the 2 front seats. (It was a full van and only had front seats). The propane tank was pretty good size. (That showed that it would only really be feasible in a van or pickup truck). Our van was set up to automatically switch over from gas to the propane tank when the gas level got to about 1/4 of a tank. OR, you could manually switch it back and forth with a switch, just like with dual gas tanks.

It ran perfectly fine for us. Couldn't tell any difference in performance between the two. Obviously it only had the one fuel delivery system, so somehow is was configured to run both gasoline and propane without a problem. I don't know the hows of it. We had one official propane (Gas Station) in town to fill it up at, but supposedly the connection was compatible to be filled up at a normal location that sold propane.

Anyway, it worked fine. But because of the displacement of propane compared to gasoline, it required a pretty good size tank for the vehicle. It was about 4ft long, 2ft high, and 2ft wide. Not something you would put into a car. Later... Mike....