Computer Chips & Tuners  

Edge with Attitude, or Evolution (for 6.0 PSD)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:25 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Edge with Attitude, or Evolution (for 6.0 PSD)

Guys...

I'm coming from a Superchips Flashpaq (stolen out of my Excursion with many other items) that worked "okay" for me.

I like the units that are either a toggle switch on the dash for instant change of tune... or a display type unit (that gives me EGTs ..etc) like the mentioned Edge units.

My question for some of you would be;

** Which unit shows me my stats on screen (like the Evo) AND provides me the best tuneability? I see there's an Edge Juice Platinum with attitude...etc.etc.. and I don't really know "which one is best for my needs".

I don't need anything outlandish, and I rarely tow anymore (bought a motorhome) so I really want the nice dash unit (to eleviate any guage pods on the pillar) telling me stats... and "on the fly" programming (so I don't have to wait and wait for my flash unit to change the settings).

Any advice is appreciated!
Johnny J

Pros and Cons of users that may have either of these two units and have come from other units (why you changed...) would help too!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried a search in the 6.0 forum? This has been asked 100's of times.

Basically, the adjust on the fly types fool the factory computer into producing more power. They're hard on the engine and especially the tranny. Good luck with long lasting anything if you use one.

You want on the dash monitoring and EXCELLENT power AND reliability, then look into the SCT Livewire. It's a flash programmer, but it only takes a couple minutes to change programs and they can be custom written the way YOU want them. They are proven to help protect the tranny better than any others out there.

Again, look in the 6.0L Diesel forum and you'll find hundreds of posts asking the SAME OLD question and giving the SAME answers.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
I've "heard" the SCT livewire has been having problems....
And isn't the most reliable option just yet.

Plus, I don't need "custom" tunes. I just got rid of anything I'd be towing to use a custom tune, and I really think most of the standard tunes that come with them are okay for me.

I asked THIS same old question in THIS forum... because it's the forum titled to my subject matter. Asking it in the 6.0 forum would surely tailor the question to 6.0 drivers... but not to the general community of drivers and their opinions of tuners. And yes, I read a bunch on the searchs I came up with... and most of the comments never really answered the issue. Between threads being hijacked, to personal opinion (not fact) and other issues.... I didn't want to read-between-the-lines on this.

SO, an EDGE juice with attitude "FOOLS" the ECM into making more power?? What does the SCT do differently??? Don't they all 'fool' the ECM (for lack of a better word!) And what makes an SCT more reliable than an EDGE? ... don't shoot me, just asking!

J-

Old 06-07-2007, 04:37 PM
revver
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like 6L PWR is one of those same old answers and opinions!

I don't have the knowledge to answer your questions, it seems 6L PWR doesn't either.

Good luck on your inquiry - hopefully you'll get some factual input.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as I know the evolution is a programmer just like the SCT Xcal II or Livewire. The Edge Juice is the inline module, and the Attitude is the controller for the Juice.

As far as the difference between inline modules and programmers go. An inline module sits between the sensors and changes the readings before they get to the computer. The computer then makes all it's decisions based on these false readings. Sometimes these false readings can cause the computer to make the wrong decision for what is actually going on in the engine, and damage occurs. A lot of the safety features built into the factory programming are now worthless because they aren't seeing what is really happening in the engine.

With a programmer you are changing how the computer is making the decisions. The computer still sees all of the correct information being transferred to it from the sensors and is able to make decisions based on that real information. The person writing the program can leave all safety features in tact, or move them around slightly to get better performance without causing damage to the engine.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:44 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
BEERSTALKER.... you are very helpful and so correct, thank you.
(I figured out some of this on my own, and via Edge)

I ended up emailing EDGE and got a great and speedy response... in fact, amazingly fast. They explained it all to me as well, and we figured out a solution.

I'll purchase an Edge Juice Platinum w/attitude.

This way it's controlling and not "fooling" as well as I'm able to see, and adjust on the "fly". (the evolution model needs you to stop before making a change, and takes 20 seconds).

They even sent me a better pic so I could see how it fits. Included for you all to see (sorry it's so big);

Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 06-07-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:53 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
I've "heard" the SCT livewire has been having problems....And isn't the most reliable option just yet.
Yes, some have had issues and many are working just fine.

Plus, I don't need "custom" tunes. I just got rid of anything I'd be towing to use a custom tune, and I really think most of the standard tunes that come with them are okay for me.
Custom tunes are not just for towing. I have one for street where I have alot of power, but the tranny shifting is a bit softer and the torque converter only locks up in fifth or after. I have a tow tune that keeps my EGT's in safe limits and ups the line pressure in the tranny to help the shifting with a load. Then I have my ***** to the wall race program that locks the torque converter as soon as it hits second gear and gives me all the fuel and boost that my mods to date can deliver. I actually use this one daily since it gives me the best MPG as well.

I asked THIS same old question in THIS forum... because it's the forum titled to my subject matter. Asking it in the 6.0 forum would surely tailor the question to 6.0 drivers... but not to the general community of drivers and their opinions of tuners. And yes, I read a bunch on the searchs I came up with... and most of the comments never really answered the issue. Between threads being hijacked, to personal opinion (not fact) and other issues.... I didn't want to read-between-the-lines on this.
The 6.0L is a bit different than the 7.3L and WAY different than any gasser, thus the opinions you should want are from other 6.0 drivers that have experience with various tuners. I started with an Edge Juice Platinum w/Attitude. After running with it for about 6 months I started having issues with the transmission not shifting right and it almost got me hit a couple times. I talked to some "experts" in other tuner forums and was told to stack it with an Evolution and let the Evo handle the tranny. That worked for a couple months and then it started the same crap again and it was slipping. I found this forum and asked some questions and was pointed toward the SCT. My tranny has felt like a new one since using an SCT xCal2 with "custom" tunes from Eric at innovative diesel.

SO, an EDGE juice with attitude "FOOLS" the ECM into making more power?? What does the SCT do differently??? Don't they all 'fool' the ECM (for lack of a better word!) And what makes an SCT more reliable than an EDGE? ... don't shoot me, just asking!
Beerstalker beat me to this one, but it has been answered in the 6.0 forum, but I'm sure it's buried in weeks worth of reading material.

Originally Posted by revver
I don't have the knowledge to answer your questions, it seems 6L PWR doesn't either.
Maybe you'd likke to give a guy a little time to answer? I don't sit on here all day just refreshing and waiting to make the next reply.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:59 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
This way it's controlling and not "fooling" as well as I'm able to see, and adjust on the "fly".
No, the Edge Juice "fools" the factory computer by modifying the signals from the sensors. It can and does make false judgements at times and these are what cause damage to the engine and more importantly, the transmission in the future. But hey, it's your truck dude. I had one. I sold it off on eBay, but I did for a while love it. Anyway, good luck to you. Just have fun. That's all any of us want to do anyway.

EDIT: When Beerstalker mentioned "controlling", he was saying the the Attitude is the monitor and controller of the Juice Module. Module being an inline sensor modifier. Hope that helps to explain things a bit.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:01 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by 6L PWR
Yes, some have had issues and many are working just fine.
Thanks... however, as much as the SCT livewire sounds like it's "for me"... it doesn't sound too reliable.

Is your quote of reliablility hidden somewhere in your statement?! hahaha... just bustin' your *****.

I've had my tranny slip, but only from D to R and when I'm in a hurry (this is when I've been using my Superchips Flashpaq)... Sounds like some tuners have this issue, and it's not just with one or two brands.

If the SCT LiveWire wouldn't have "issues"... I'd be all over it. However, I've heard the Edge Juice and attitude has also given users trouble (before your post)....

Does anyone make a reliable unit?! hahaha.... Man, this just sucks.
All I want to be able to do is see my EGTs (on some cool screen as I don't like the guage pods), and run 100extra horses when I want to play. Otherwise, I'll be sitting on a low or mid setting with most programmers. There's no "easy" answer is there?! You wanna play... your gonna pay (is the correct motto?!)

Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 06-07-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:04 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Does anyone make a reliable unit?!
Granted you or someone will claim this is just my opinion, but I haven't read anything bad about the SCT xCal2 unit. AND, you can get it with boxed tunes instead of custom if you so desire. Ok, well, there is ONE con to it that most will talk about. No gauges, but I like the look of the gauge pod and Autometer gauges that I have. It looks like a race truck. And it is!! ROFLMAO

Old 06-07-2007, 07:09 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Granted you or someone will claim this is just my opinion, but I haven't read anything bad about the SCT xCal2 unit. AND, you can get it with boxed tunes instead of custom if you so desire. Ok, well, there is ONE con to it that most will talk about. No gauges, but I like the look of the gauge pod and Autometer gauges that I have. It looks like a race truck. And it is!! ROFLMAO
No worries, however like mentioned, the guage pod "look" is what I'm trying to stay clear of. Everything from dealer techs, to thieves see this as a "this guy spends $$ on his truck, and likes to burn rubber all day. Maybe he tows a monster load...etc.etc"

I've had the pod... but it was on my Ford Dually, 460ci BB with a Supercharger.. blah blah... it was very warranted then, as THAT was a racer.

... seriously. I need a simple solution. Easily removable, and with a display. Quick to change tune (on the fly preferred), and no real need for custom tunes. Oh, and yes... reliable. Har har.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:17 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
No worries, however like mentioned, the guage pod "look" is what I'm trying to stay clear of. Everything from dealer techs, to thieves see this as a "this guy spends $$ on his truck, and likes to burn rubber all day. Maybe he tows a monster load...etc.etc"
Ok, and the Edge Monitor in a pod isn't going to give them the same opinion?? From the ads on TV, people will think you race it with an Edge.

I need a simple solution. Easily removable, and with a display. Quick to change tune (on the fly preferred), and no real need for custom tunes. Oh, and yes... reliable. Har har.
Easily removeable?? What could be easier than plugging the flash programmer in the OBD port under the dash, flashing the tune and then tossing the programmer in the glove box totally out of sight? If you don't plan on racing it around, you could do without the gauges. Then nobody would see anything. Just keep in mind that if you put the high HP program in and hammer on it, it's gonna get the EGT's too hot and you won't know it. As for easily removeable, if you plan on taking it in and out all the time, you need to look over the instructions again. Taking it out to take it to the dealer for service and you have to pretty much take the drivers side battery out to get to the hookups for the computer and you'll have to thread the attitude controller wire in and out of the cab each time. It's easy, yes, but time consuming if you're trying to hide it for warranty purposes.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:43 PM
revver
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you'd likke to give a guy a little time to answer? I don't sit on here all day just refreshing and waiting to make the next reply.
6L PWR,

You could have said it in your first reply rather than smart assing the guy's legitimate question.

As it turns out you seem to have a lot of good knowledge. Thanks for sharing it with us all.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you like the looks of the Attitude/Evolution then maybe you would be interested in the MSD Dashhawk. It is the same form factor (even fits in the Edge A pillar or overhead mount), plugs into your ODB II connector and gives you digital guages. Here is a link to it on MSDs website.
http://www.dashhawk.com/features.html

I am currently working with the MSD software engineers to help get more parameters working on the 6.0L. I have been updating this thread with our progress.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...e-display.html

Then you can get an SCT Excal II to do your tuning. That's pretty much what I plan on doing. BTW the Excal II comes with three tunes on it. However, for the same price you pay at most other dealers you can get it from Long Island Performance Diesel along with thier custom tunes that supposedly run awesome. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:01 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
You could have said it in your first reply rather than smart assing the guy's legitimate question.
I did not mean to sound like a smart ***, but after you've been on here for a while, you keep seeing the same questions over and over again. This makes the forums grow and makes searches take longer and leaves people like him frustrated because they do a search and come up with months worth of reading.

As it turns out you seem to have a lot of good knowledge. Thanks for sharing it with us all.
Thank you. I've gotten most of it by reading up on this and other forums. The rest I've gotten from making my own bad choices.

I just don't want to see guys spend a whole lot of money on a product and then have problems that just end up costing them more. I've done it myself and it hurts. I'd have an 11 second truck if I'd spent a bit more time researching things first. Instead I'm stuck in a 12 second truck. I guess that's not bad for an 8000 pound dragster though.

Quick Reply: Edge with Attitude, or Evolution (for 6.0 PSD)