Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So cam is just about installed, question inside:

Posted on the 385 forum:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-cam-gear.html

Anyone know what it's for?

Originally when I pulled the cam, I thought it was keyed to the cam gear, but looks like it can go (rotate) anywhere.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:50 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
"Fuel pump eccentric"
"So what keeps it located? Just Cam bolt torque?"

I do not know, but on most ford engines there is a catch that is obvious. I wouldn't put it together without some positive catch to keep it from turning.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:58 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I got the info off the 385 forum, there's nothing on ours, no any parts left over...go figure...could actually see where is was sitting against the timig gear...and two very pronouced spots where the slots were.

Strange, wonder if something slipped by at the factory?

There was well over an inch of slop in the timing chain, in fcat if I tried, I think I could have gotten it to slip a tooth it was so worn...

Anyway, might order the kit for it, we need a new timing cover, there some spots that are so corroded leaving about 1/4inch where there's nothing to face the gasket on...looks like age took it tool

Old 06-07-2007, 05:47 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Did the stock 460 timing gear come with nylon teeth like the 360s of that vintage? When I pulled my son's 360 apart I found a handful of plastic chunks clogging up the oil pickup screen. This effectively made the timing chain slack because the gear was now a smaller diameter.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:21 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
"we need a new timing cover,"

How you doing on money? We do not want a junkyard part - lots of work to get it free only to find it has the same problem.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:45 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Chet:

No parts/chunks seen in the cover, but may have found thier way to the pan...and are long gone now. The gears were steel.

Clint:

I found a new cover assy. on Ebay, 68.00 shipped (AZ and Kragen were 100.00 online), should be here in the next few days...I wasn't about to go JY scrounging for it anyways.

I'll have about a 100 left, necessities will be new valve springs and PushRods and waterpump, fuel pump, correct parts for the eccentric...we could eliminate the eccentric...the cover I'm getting has a block off plate...and run an electric pump...cost would be about a wash I'd think...any thoughts?

After that, machine shop costs, I went by the shop today, they haven't started on the heads yet, may not get busy on them until next week.

If this one place is still open when I get home tomorrow, and they have another seat stone, I might just pick up the heads and do them here...I did find one 2.25inch 45* stone in my set.

Also....heck, let me start another thread in a bit about some head work....

Old 06-08-2007, 12:03 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We really need to consolidate this stuff and try to keep engine stuff in one thread, not start a new one every time we have a comment or question. Plus, when there's a new post made in an existing thread that we've subscribed to, then we get a post notification email (if we have it set up that way) and might get a quicker reply.

Might even be a good idea to keep all project truck stuff in one thread. We have so many going now, I can't keep track of what's where. Plus, I'll probably catch hell from the admins about all these different threads on essentially the same subject...

And don't forget: No project truck work up here this weekend as I have to go out of town. Leaving tomorrow straight from work, back Sunday afternoon.

Last edited by TigerDan; 06-08-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:26 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TigerDan
We really need to consolidate this stuff and try to keep engine stuff in one thread, not start a new one every time we have a comment or question. Plus, when there's a new post made in an existing thread that we've subscribed to, then we get a post notification email (if we have it set up that way) and might get a quicker reply.

Might even be a good idea to keep all project truck stuff in one thread. We have so many going now, I can't keep track of what's where. Plus, I'll probably catch hell from the admins about all these different threads on essentially the same subject...

I dunno - I am in favor of keeping the threads separate - one idea or subject per thread. It makes sure we cover the subject in full (nothing falls through the cracks).

But then I have a problem walking and chewing gum at the same time. It is hard for me to track everything at the same time.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:01 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Dan, I agree to a point, but I did not want to put different aspects of the engine issues/etc., into one thread...I thought that seperating problems/information into different threads would be easier to follow.

I've an idea though, how about you make a couple of "sticky" threads we can post to until we work through our issues?

We'll, least till we work through your problems...I only have solutions

Old 06-09-2007, 11:52 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I was able to get a picture of AutoZone on the piece we're missing....seems the piece we have goes inside another piece that has a tang on it to engage in the cam gear.

For sure I didn't lose anything, because it's clearly evident that the fuelpump arm was riding on the piece we have, and not the piece it was supposed to be riding on.

It was mentioned in the 385 forum the eccentric was two-pc and I was given a link to a Summit part, but I kept staring at it no seeing much difference in what I had...might just be the pic...but from what I gather the thought is to replace the "outer" piece with the tang on it, as it should be the piece that handles the wear from the fuel pump arm.

So, now that I know what I need, I'm better equipped to ask for it