Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2002, 10:01 PM
Senior User

copeina is starting off with a positive reputation.
2000 F150 Rear Brakes problem?

Old 09-17-2002, 04:52 PM
New User

rootdenied is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello everyone. . .I have a rather baffling question/experience to share with anyone so hopefully I can solve it. My ABS light occasionally come on in my truck, but turning the engine off and then back on makes it go away. I thought nothing of it till recently. Over the weekend I had my truck parked in the backyard because of street sweeping on Mondays. I go to pull my truck out and drive down the alleyway and press lightly on the brakes and the ABS engaged and I skided a bit a short distance. I felt the brake peddle pulsate like I slammed on it really hard but I did not. I did nothing to the rear end of my truck over the weekend. I pulled my front wheels off to investigate some clicking up front, but I did nothing at all in the back portion of my truck.

Now just today I pull out of my schools parking lot and made a right hand turn onto the main street at about 10 to 15 mph. During the course of the turn I went through a puddle of water. AFTER I went through the puddle my wheels skided a lot. Its really unexplainible because I was looking through my side view mirrors and I was not in the water at all at that point. So I need some help here.

I suspect my ABS sensors but the light only illuminates occasionally. So I need some advice on this.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2002, 10:32 PM
Postmaster

aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.

Do you have drum or discs in the back. If you have drums it could be a leaky axle seal slobbing up the shoes and causing the drums to grab. I assume the back brakes are locking up. If its the fronts, and your abs light is coming on it could be a modulator problem. Its really hard to know why the abs light is coming on without a scanner to see what kind of codes it is setting.

ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician

Current Vehicles:
2002 F-250 7.3L PSD 4x4 XLT
2002 Sunset Orange Mettalic WS6 Trans Am Convertible

"Maybe is for those who lack skill"
Old 09-18-2002, 12:10 AM
New User

rootdenied is starting off with a positive reputation.

Yes I do have drums on the back, and thats where the problem seems to be occuring. However, I am unable to reproduce it all, until it catches me totally off guard. What other symptoms would there be of an axle leak? Would I see a lot of lubricant on my rims or anything like that?
Old 09-18-2002, 09:56 AM
Senior User

white99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post 2000 F150 Rear Brakes problem?

My truck would do the same thing after any 4x4 trip. I would loosen the back shoes and that would stop it. I finnally took it to the shop and the rear drums were out of round. Didn't believe it at first till my last 4x4 outing and it didn't happen any more.
JimP
99 F150 4x4
94 F150 4x4
01 Expedition
Old 09-18-2002, 03:14 PM
Junior User

lm1d is starting off with a positive reputation.

you probably have an issue with an ABS sensor on the rear brakes. Check your codes and replace the sensor as necessary.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:14 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
2000, 2000f150, 2002, 2002f150, 4x4, abs, back, brake, brakes, f150, leak, light, rear, rotors, shut, z2267