N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

My California MCP adventure

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Karl Aube
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My California MCP adventure

Hey guys...Any bocy have any advice on my post to the Super duty site concerning getting a California "not for hire" Motor Permit...??? see the link below.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...carrier+permit

Karl Aube
Coarsegold, CA

Old 06-05-2007, 03:32 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
No experience, but a suggested line of logic to explore.

A 5,000# boat is pretty big. If it has all the amenities to qualify as a second home for tax purposes (head, stove, sink), it may qualify under the same rules as a recreational trailer. You will still have a bunch of hassle unless you can figure out how to document the "not for hire" status when arbitrarily queried at a weigh station. On the other hand, perhaps the fact that title and registration for everything you tow is always in your name?

How do ranchers handle this when they pull their cattle trailers?

Last edited by AnOldDog; 06-05-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Karl Aube
Junior User
Logic is good

The boat is a MacGregor 26M ( http://www.macgregor26.com/ ) Max 4200 pounds with trailer I keep a book with all my registration and copies of pink slips when I travel and should ba able to prove I am hauling MY STUFF only.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:08 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
I'm familiar with the Macgregor. I sail Hobies for now. I'm looking for a Corsair 27, or 28 trimaran. I like speed. But I digress.

I think I would call a few dealerships in your area and see if they have any idea. Presumeably you have asked the one where you bought the rig. Surely one of them would have a lead, advice, or certain knowledge.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:32 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Please keep us informed as you work your way through this, so we can answer the question the next time it comes up. I fear that you were screwed when the dealer first registered your truck - you want to do whatever it takes to avoid commercial plates.

The last thing you want is to have to stop at every weight station you go by in your travels.

I expect the cop gave you the straight skinny - not only is he an expert, he is also the one who will be handing out tickets. Did he also tell you that driving that truck requires a CDL (commercial driver's license) instead of the normal Californian class A license? Not only a more difficult test, but more expensive and it requires a medical physical.

In a prior life I drove a truck over the road for a few years - you got to where you hated cops and DOT clerks. Their job is to rip as much money as they can from you, every trip across their state. You are just a cash cow to them, and when you use their highway to make money, they wanted their share.

On a more pleasant note, we have talked before. I live just down the hill from you (Ave. 12 and Hwy 41). This fall we will be showing our trucks at Valley Children's' - along with the Mustang Club. I will bring ThumperRoo (our Bigfoot) and hope to get others involved. I think I can get us permission to camp at the Xmas tree farm on the river. You interested in joining us with your big rig?

Clint

Old 06-06-2007, 04:11 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
I know that cross posting is normally regarded as a bad thing, but you may want to expand this thread to the Norte Baja (Southern California) forum as well.

Chet

Old 06-06-2007, 04:43 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Not sure what you are talking about, Chet. - - "Cross Posting" - - Is that something that requires a moderator to do? Karl A. can post a question to the SoCal forum anytime he wants.

They are not very active. But it could be worth trying. He has already posted the question to the Super Duty forum.

Last edited by WillyB; 06-06-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:20 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
My understanding of the definition of cross posting is initiating the same discussion thread across multiple "topic focused" groups on a single site. This can be done by anyone willing to post a message. Under this strict definition, this subject at hand could be considered a "cross post". The restriction helps to eliminate someone from asking a really simple question, creating a lot of churn, by starting threads across a bunch of groups. I see no harm in this particular case because it is a rather complex issue. Perhaps cross posting means something different on FTE.

In either case, posting to the SoCal folks would do no harm.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:00 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Ah, IC says the blind mouse! No problem, never heard a complaint about it on FTE. He should post this serious a question where ever he thinks someone may have an answer.

I don't think "cross posting" is a problem on FTE - - - - but thanks for thinking of FTE.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by WillyB
Ah, IC says the blind mouse!
I thought the quote was, "I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and SAW".

Last edited by AnOldDog; 06-06-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I thought the blind guy said:

"Hello, Ladies"

As he passed the Fish Market

Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Forgive my stupidity, but isn't a normal California license a Class C and the Class A is for big rigs?

Old 06-09-2007, 11:50 AM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
isn't a normal California license a Class C and the Class A is for big rigs?
Usually, but there are situations where a non-commercial rig needs a class A license. As an example, imagine you want to tow a small trailer behind a fifth wheel camping trailer. The double trailer rig would require a class A license.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:00 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Just some thoughts..

You do need to have commericial plates on the truck if you plan to haul ANYTHING. I made a mistake years ago with a Jeep pickup I had, when I bought it I turned in the commercial plates and registered it with "car" plates to save a few bucks...

Fastforward as I was moving from Az. back to Ca. with my household belongings in the Jeep...got pulled over near Fresno and got a ticket for hauling items in a non-commecial plate vehicle...just stuff like a couch, bed, etc.

Now, another thing has me thinking as well, I know back a few years ago my Dad licensed his Transfer (Peterbilt dump truck that pulls another trailer) for "farm use"...in order to drive it here and there to get weighed and inspected/etc.

The Farm use thing allowed him to haul anything of his own, including dirt/rock/etc, as long as he did not haul for hire. Saved him at the time about 60-70% on the license fees as well as a bundle on the insurance.

He found out about this way to license it by calling the CHP and talking to the "Commercial Man", so I'd advise you do the same...seems the Commercial Man knows quite a bit more of the ins and outs of the laws, that maybe your average CHP may not know.