1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Seat opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:09 PM
sacmd52
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat opinions

I want to put a bench seat in my 52 f1 like it came with and have a decent factory seat frame but mice and who knows what else got to the upholstery and padding. I like to use original parts when possible cause they bolt right in. Anybody have any ideas as to how to recover and pad this thing. I have not done any upholsterin' myself so please put it in simple terms I can understand!

Old 06-05-2007, 01:29 PM
joe hoffman
Senior User
Check Out My Seat Gallery Of A Stock Redo That Was In Real Poor Shape When I Started. Was About 250$ To Have Reupholstered. Good Luck

Old 06-05-2007, 01:34 PM
sacmd52
New User
Joe, that seat is sweet! Did you have to take it anywhere special or is that something any automobile upholsterer can do?

Old 06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
joe hoffman
Senior User
Just about any upholsterer could do that type of cover. But the price can vary greatly, shop around and try to get someone recommended before you buy. This guy rebuilt some of the spring work after I completely stripped it to the frame. He did a great job using a heavy grade vinyl. I got quotes from 250 to 400 and the guy that did the work was the cheapest and the only one recommended. Most paint and body guys have someone they are familiar with and could usually give you an idea of the cost. You can save yourself a little by getting the seat ready to go as much as you can before you turn it over to an upholseter. The pic does not show the bottom edge bead but he ran the material all the way down to the bottom of the seat rather than having a bead across the bottom under your knees. More comfortable and I think looks better. He also covered the back of the seat which is a nice finishing touch when you fold it forward, you aren't looking at the springs. Let me know if you need more info. Good Luck....

Old 06-05-2007, 06:30 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Several vendors sell kits to upholster your own seat, $175 seems to be ballpark. If you can find a local guy to do it for $250, go for it. Saving that little bit of money wouldn't be worth the hassle. You may want to buy a few extra yards of material from your guy for trimming the interior, door panels, etc. That type of work is easy enough for a diy'er, but recovering a seat can be challenging, even with a kit.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:16 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are interested in an alternative seat, I used a bench seat out of a '90 Ranger regular cab in my F-3 and fabricated brackets to make it fit the original '48 seat tracks so it bolts in the same place as the original. I also wanted it in a more reclined position so I cut three inches off the rear of the original seat frame to lean it back. The seat back is also thinner and gives you more room between the column and seat. The seat folds forward just like the original and I still have room for my original tool tray on top of the gas tank...