1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How Could They?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:15 AM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Could They?

I know this has nothing to do with fixer up'rs or questions but I came out to my truck this morning to find that someone stole my gas cap. And they also took my old gas can from the back.

Now granted I don't live in the best area and I've had to many cars broken into and even one stolen from me but where do these people get off. I had my check book in the glove box and my '60 doesn't have any locks on it.

And to top it off I just topped off my tank and since the gas gage is out I don't know if they took any gas.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:27 AM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Also, make sure they didn't put anything in the gas tank that would cause major problems!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 AM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
Originally Posted by f1fordguy
Also, make sure they didn't put anything in the gas tank that would cause major problems!
Ya, I thought about that after I got to work. Guess that answered that question ...

Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A locking gas cap might be a prudent investment...

Old 06-05-2007, 10:07 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Thats a real bummer! I hate that kind of stuff!

Way back when I was a teen I did some pretty crappy things along those lines. I was a master of the "redneck credit card" AKA siphoning hose and swiped my share of gas.
I figure I'm due to have a fair amount of those kind of things happen to me as Karma works to balance things back out.

Hopefully they didn't put anything in the tank, chances are that they didn't. they were probably just after whatever they could grab quickly.

Bobby

Old 06-05-2007, 10:27 AM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
A locking gas cap might be a prudent investment...
That's a 10-4. $11 at John's F-Fun Hundreds on the way home today.

Now, I do have an extra gas cap for my '58 Edsel that looked exactly like my old one. I wonder if that will fit? But that one's not locking and I don't want to take anymore chances.

Bobby: Samething with me. When I was a kid it was "wheelies" aka tire caps. We would look for really nice chrome ones for our bikes and sell the rest to other kids in the neighborhood. And I, myself, believe in karma and only hope that the gas can spills dirty gas on their d***!!!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovegamesandcars
I know this has nothing to do with fixer up'rs or questions but I came out to my truck this morning to find that someone stole my gas cap. And they also took my old gas can from the back.
I never seems to matter the subject, we'll talk about just about anything, preferrably truck related.

When I got of high school I worked in one of the worse parts of town as an auto parts delivery driver and I had may share of items ripped off from my vehicles. The scum broke my rear quarter glass and stole my stereo, using my own tools, The left the tools whick were worth more than the cheap radio!! The radio was a $25 Kmart special but the glass cost me another $25 and my time to put it in.

My wife had a '85 Firebird when we got married. One of the first things I did was reverse the lock on the fiberglass gas hatch so it couldn't be locked. I figured it this way, I would rather have someone steal $10-20 worth of gas than to cause $500-600 damage prying the cheap hatch open to get to the gas. I think they stopped using the lock a few years after my wife's car was made, I suspect just for this reason.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:06 PM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
How Could They Update: I just went to John's F-F100 and they don't have the gas cap I need. And when they guy came out to look to see if another one would fit he said this doesn't look like the original gas filler. And he doesn't know where it's from.

Can you guys check it out and see if he's right or wrong. We have some pretty bad June gloom and I don't want anyone putting something down into my tank. (Sorry for the grainy pic that's my cheap phone)

Last edited by ilovegamesandcars; 06-05-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:49 PM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
Sorry back to the top please because I want to go on my lunch to get a replacement.

Thanx guys ...

Old 06-05-2007, 01:54 PM
I_Love_Cheese
Freshman User
Thieves suck.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 PM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
Hey Guys,

I'm really sorry to do this but I wanted to put this back to the top because I'm off of work in less than an hour and I don't want to be driving all over the place without a gas cap.

Thanx,

Jeannine

Old 06-05-2007, 05:07 PM
peecubed
Senior User
Isn't that twist lock style pretty generic. You just need a cap with the two tabs that fit and then you turn to close, though it's not actually 'locking' per say. Mine (for a 1955) came from kragen and the neck looks pretty similar. Did you try any of the ones at bob's...maybe for an earlier year?

Old 06-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks i would love to catch someone like taht in the act and show em you got to be careful these days no one cares they steal everything

Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Looks orginal to me and a common one for the older Ford trucks.
I used to have anti thief coil spring inset that screwed into the filler pipe to prevent gas thief.
I liked that better because a locking gas cap could encourage someone to try to pry it off causing damage, the coil would be impossible to remove without taking the filler pipe off first.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:12 AM
lewislynn
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovegamesandcars

Now granted I don't live in the best area and I've had to many cars broken into and even one stolen from me but where do these people get off. I had my check book in the glove box and my '60 doesn't have any locks on it.

And to top it off I just topped off my tank and since the gas gage is out I don't know if they took any gas.
Kragen has them. Its a Stant locking cap part #11491...about $11.00