1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Rear Air Suspension FLAT!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 AM
themooser
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Air Suspension FLAT!

'97 Expy 5.4L 2WD 185K.
Ran into the rear suspension problem about a week ago. Was at Wal-Mart and was leaving a parking space - everything was fine. While still in the parking lot, I made a quick stop to get something from the back. When I got back in the truck and pulled off, I noticed the rear was way low and bouncing like crazy! Got out and the rear was nearly on the ground! I have turned the LLS switch underneath the dash off and on about 20 times but nothing seemed to help. Is there another switch somewhere that may have been inadvertently turned off?

I would assume that the compressor is OK since it does run (it's very loud). It will run for about a minute or so then shut off - I would guess that it eventually gives up if it can't get air to the back? The air-ride only affects the rear; I think I have regular shocks up front snf it's up at it's normal height.

I've read threasds on this forum (not sure if I've read them all though!) about the lines from the compressor and how the they and the connectors might be bad - but I have no idea where to look for them! Anyone have any pictures or can give VERY good directions on where to look for the lines? Would rather not take this to the dealership and would like to fix myself. I've purchased the following 2 items from another website:

http://www.americanairsuspension.com...ucts.php?cat=2
"SPIDER JR. for a '97-'02 Expedition or Navigator"
"AIR LINE REPAIR KIT for a '97-'02 Expedition or Navigator"

Anyone ever used these and have any advice on them (I've yet to get them in the mail)?

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 PM
01silvergt
Senior User
Ok, since your compressor is running and cutting off after a minute, then it sounds like you have a leak.

Look for the union that feeds the rear airbags. This union is located between the master cylinder and the fuse box on the fender. Its easy to see and find, but if you do not find it, then getunder the vehicle on the drivers side and find the black plastic hose (about 1/4" diameter) and trace it to where it goes up into the engine bay. (should go right up between the M.C. and the fuse box).

More than likely this will be your problem. Report back if its not.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:07 PM
01silvergt
Senior User
Also, the "Air line repair kit " part and the union are the same, the ford union is black and if its the old style, it is straight across with no indention in the middle.

Also, install only one of the parts you have listed, not both (they both replace the same union). i would do the spider, as it gives you a bit more versatility.

Last edited by 01silvergt; 06-04-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:51 AM
themooser
New User
Well, we're back in business - thanks silver! But check this out and see if this makes any sense.

The reason I couldn't initially find the union was because it was already disconnected - so I never saw the line. Now, I had to put a little "umph" on the line to pull it off - would it be feasible that it just "disconnected itself?" Anyway, it installed the Spider Jr I received from AIS, started up the truck and up she went. Once I found what I was looking for, it took all of 15 minutes.

Thanks again.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:06 AM
01silvergt
Senior User
Originally Posted by themooser
Well, we're back in business - thanks silver! But check this out and see if this makes any sense.

The reason I couldn't initially find the union was because it was already disconnected - so I never saw the line. Now, I had to put a little "umph" on the line to pull it off - would it be feasible that it just "disconnected itself?" Anyway, it installed the Spider Jr I received from AIS, started up the truck and up she went. Once I found what I was looking for, it took all of 15 minutes.

Thanks again.
Its not uncommon for the case to split at the ends and disconnect from the retainers and the air line. My did the same thing. glad your back in business.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:44 PM
myEXisFAT
Junior User
Yup just fixed mines today also.