General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Digital Coaxial vs. Subwoofer RCA cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 07:52 PM
XXL Supreme
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Coaxial vs. Subwoofer RCA cable

I just purchased a powered subwoofer for my home stereo. It was used and I didn't pay much. I tried running a digital coaxial cable from my digital Pioneer receiver (subwoofer preamp out) to the subwoofer itself but can't get any sound out of it.

Then I tried the usual double-tipped rca cables, just plugging in one side of each cable end.....that did not work either.

Do I need to get the actual subwoofer rca cable? Or should the digital coaxial do the job and my problem is not due to the cable?

Thanks!!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:56 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The cable shouldn't matter, but you may have a bad cable or two. Or maybe your receiver isn't set to output the sub signal.

Coaxial and RCA cables are essentially the same--shielded cable but with different terminations. Calling them "digital" is just a marketing ploy.

Jason

Old 06-02-2007, 08:13 PM
XXL Supreme
Senior User
I know my coaxial cable is good because that is what I usually use between my dvd player and receiver. I just switched them back and forth to see if what worked for the dvd player would also work for the subwoofer.

I looked up some info on the subwoofer I just purchased....it is the type of subwoofer that powers a small home entertainment type system.

I already have all the speakers I need powered by the Pioneer receiver and don't need the subwoofer to do anything but woof.

Also, my receiver has three choices for the subwoofer: subwoofer on; subwoofer plus (extra bass) and subwoofer off. I have it in the "on" position lol!!

Thanks for your response! It is very much appreciated!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Giving us part numbers for your stuff will help.

Does the sub have a switch to choose input type (RCA or Speaker Input)?

What is the crossover set at?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:26 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
I curious to see if you put it on the correct pre-out on your reciever. If so then you might have to go into your amp + dvd menu's on change some settings so the sub works. I have a Pioneer amp also so I might be able to help you out.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:17 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jroehl

Coaxial and RCA cables are essentially the same--shielded cable but with different terminations. Calling them "digital" is just a marketing ploy.

Jason
this article states Rca's are not sheilded
http://www.samspublishing.com/articl...&seqNum=2&rl=1

Old 06-03-2007, 12:34 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Most older rca cables weren't shielded, almost all the new ones are.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:58 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Yeah, I wasn't thinking of the older RCA cables...I was talking about cable-style coax and RCA-style coax. Same cable, different terminations, as the linked article basically stated. I guess when I hear "RCA", I think of the termination, not the cable itself.

Jason

Old 06-03-2007, 12:43 PM
XXL Supreme
Senior User
Originally Posted by xtrford
I curious to see if you put it on the correct pre-out on your reciever. If so then you might have to go into your amp + dvd menu's on change some settings so the sub works. I have a Pioneer amp also so I might be able to help you out.
The Pioneer has two subwoofer outs. One is a subwoofer pre and the other one is part of the 5.1 outputs, which I don't use. I use my system for audio only, no movies.

According the the Pioneer manual, the only assignments I can do with the subwoofer is to turn it on, off, or subwoofer plus. If there are any other settings to change regarding the subwoofer, I can't find them in the manual.

Here is some model information:
Pioneer Multi-Channel Receiver VSX-D409

Powered Subwoofer:
Emerson Research
Cinema Surround
Model #: Micro 10
Model System: SP10W
90 Watts

Thanks for all your help guys!

Old 06-03-2007, 12:45 PM
XXL Supreme
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beerstalker
Giving us part numbers for your stuff will help.

Does the sub have a switch to choose input type (RCA or Speaker Input)?

What is the crossover set at?
The sub does not have a switch to choose input type.

There are no crossover settings on the sub either.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
First, RCA Cables and Subwoofer cables are the same thing. It is mainly just marketing to sell a subwoofer cable, although it does allow you to buy one cable rather than the two you normally get when purchasing RCA audio cables. Digital Coax Audio cables are slightly different but I can't remember what it is about them that is different (they do have RCA type ends on them as opposed to what most people call coax cable which is RG6 cable). If you have another set of RCA cables try them and see if they make a difference.

Second, some recievers only put sound out of the subwoofer pre-out when there is a specific subwoofer channel, like in 5.1 DVDs. You need to hook up a DVD player and verify if this may be your problem.

Finally, you do realize that this unit isn't going to put out very much or very clean sound right. It is only a 20watt 6.5" woofer.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:41 PM
rywegh
Cargo Master
ummm, maybe a stupid question; but here it goes anyway...... you say you bought it used. Are you sure the sub actually works? Did you hear it play before buying it?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:26 PM
XXL Supreme
Senior User
Originally Posted by rywegh
ummm, maybe a stupid question; but here it goes anyway...... you say you bought it used. Are you sure the sub actually works? Did you hear it play before buying it?
Not a stupid question at all! The seller of the sub said it powered up, but he had no way of testing it. I can return it and get my money back if it doesn't work. So to answer your question, I do not know if it actually works. I do know it powers up.

I run a dvd player through my system exclusively. I use it to play regular audio cds. Therefore, I don't use the 5.1 subwoofer out on my receiver. The receiver has another subwoofer pre out to use when not using the 5.1 out.

I'll throw a 5.1 dvd in the player; hook the sub to the 5.1 sub out; make the needed adjustments on the receiver so it knows to recognize everything 5.1, and see if that works!

I realize I am not going to get killer bass out of this thing. I am simply on a mission to figure this thing out!!

Old 06-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
I realize that you have two subwoofer outs, and I assume you are using the one right next to the speaker jacks and not the one that is part of the 5.1 analog outs. Like I said though, some recievers only output to the subwoofer output (the one by the speaker jacks) when there is a specific subwoofer signal. I'm not sure about your reciever.

I just thought of another thing. What are you plugging the subwoofer cable into on the sub? Does it actually have a subwoofer input, or does it just have the standard left and right RCA inputs?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:43 PM
XXL Supreme
Senior User
It has standard right and left rca inputs. One of which is labeled "mono".

Quick Reply: Digital Coaxial vs. Subwoofer RCA cable