General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Digital Coaxial vs. Subwoofer RCA cable

Old 06-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok I just found a better pic of the back of your reciever. You don't have 5.1 output, only a 5.1 input. The subwoofer output is right above the left surround input, not by the speaker terminals like I originally though (that's the center speaker output). I assume you are using that one?

That bieng said, the problem may be with the way you are trying to hook it up. If it has left and right inputs it is expecting a full range signal and uses it's own crossover to split out the low level sound. By feeding it only low level sound the processor might not think it is hooked up, or might be going into some kind of protect mode. Try hooking the L and R cable up to either the VCT/DVR out or CD-R/TAPE/MD out.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:57 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XXL Supreme
Not a stupid question at all! The seller of the sub said it powered up, but he had no way of testing it. I can return it and get my money back if it doesn't work. So to answer your question, I do not know if it actually works. I do know it powers up.

I run a dvd player through my system exclusively. I use it to play regular audio cds. Therefore, I don't use the 5.1 subwoofer out on my receiver. The receiver has another subwoofer pre out to use when not using the 5.1 out.

I'll throw a 5.1 dvd in the player; hook the sub to the 5.1 sub out; make the needed adjustments on the receiver so it knows to recognize everything 5.1, and see if that works!

I realize I am not going to get killer bass out of this thing. I am simply on a mission to figure this thing out!!
Your amp has two sub outlets? On mine it has a sub pre-out and and sub input for 6 channel analog from the dvd player.
Do you have an Set-up menu on your amp? You could hit the set-up button and go into "surround set-up" menu, from there you can turn your sub on or off. If any of these don't work I thinkj you might have dud for a sub.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:58 AM
ChevyForLife
New User
Question Emerson Cimena Surround Micro-10 subwoofer

Any luck connecting this? I just bought my sub at Goodwill for $6 and see it has a center channel (strange connection), the 2 microspeaker-outputs, and 1 or 2 rear outputs. The rear outputs will be limited-frequency range mono (single or dual), as per ProLogic version one is setup (found on Wikipedia).

Old 12-09-2007, 07:24 AM
furball69
Postmaster
In order to use the coaxial LFE (Low Frequency Effects) output from the reciever, you'll have to read your recievers manual and figure out how to turn it on.

The Best way to hook up a powered sub is through the Front L+R speaker outputs from the reciever. That way it gets the full bass signal, not just the LFE signal. Then you run the Front L+R speakers as a passthrough from the sub.

LFE is just as it sounds, special effect low frequency effects and does not carry all of the bass info that is being sent to the front L+R speakers.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:22 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
LFE shouldn't anything higher than 150 hz, if you are sending it through the speakers the sub will automatically filter down through the crossover built in it. Either way will work but it is much easier to use one cable for the job.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:49 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It really depends on your overall setup. If your tuner/amp/receiver has a good crossover or a sub-out, you may want to just hook the sub to that and the speakers to the L-R outs. One exception may be if you have a speaker system (sub and speakers are from the same brand and line), then it may be better to hook the speakers to the sub and let the sub's crossover do the filtering.

Jason

Old 12-09-2007, 10:05 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
The best way if you have a crossover system built into the amp is to set the sub frequencies on the highest setting (150-200 range) connected with a single LFE sub cable and then make your adjustments at the sub's crossover. The sub will recieve every frequency range to what the amp is putting out and filter down to what you think is the best sound without distortion.

All amps up to 10 years ago will have a sub pre-out so this wouls apply to the majority of poeple with home theater systems.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 AM
furball69
Postmaster
Yeah, I guess I should have clarified... The best way for ME to hook up my powered sub was with the L+R Front speaker pass through connections.

That may or may not be the best way for you to hook yours up.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That's how mine are routed too, Furball

Old 12-09-2007, 04:30 PM
furball69
Postmaster
The instructions that came with my Polk Audio sub said that the best sound would come from connecting it in this way, instead of using the coaxial so I tried it and whaddya know, they were right. Yeah, it's a little more work and more cable but well worth it.

A couple of things to note though. When connected via the passthroughs, you should tell the reciever not to output bass to LFE, in other words, tell it there's no sub, so that all of the bass signal goes to the L+R speaker output and therefore the powered sub will get the proper bass signal. Also, if the reciever has a "Large" or "Small" Front speaker option, experiment with the two settings to see which sounds better.