6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dirty/Oily Coolant Puking

Old 05-30-2007, 01:15 AM
BC Powerstroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirty/Oily Coolant Puking

I need a second opinion. I have been having coolant smell coming periodically in my cab of my stock 2003 SRW truck in the last year or so. It appears to happen more often after towing or under load. However the puking problem appears to be happening more frequently and severe recently as I am towing only 5,000lbs on a weekly basis. Dealership recently cleaned my coked EGR valve and put die in the coolant to help track a poential "leak" and asked me to monitor it.

I told them it must be EGR cooler or headgaskets. They insisted to monitor it further to see further evidence as they indicated nothing was obvious to them yet. That was two weeks ago.

Today coolant puked out of the degas bottle. When I looked inside the degas bottle there appeared to be dirty oilish residue floating in the coolant. Furthermore there is a light brown dirty haze covered all thoughout the entire inside of the degas bottle. I have 110,000km and just changed my coolant at 100,000km so I know this is new issue just arising. I speculate this to be exhaust leeking into the coolant from leaking headgaskets. I have always prepared myself for this potential from following advise through this forum and prepared to have ford put in ARP studs and check the heads for warpage should this be the problem. Truck goes back to ford tomorrow for there review. I still have 60,000km/3yr remaining on engine warranty and hopefully resolve this in the warranty period.

I would greatly appreciate a second opinion or any relative advise on similar to my situation.

2003 F-350 6L Powerstroke, Gauges, K&N Air Intake, 4"turbo back exhaust, 2" Levelling kit, 35" Mickey Thompsons, Redline oils all through out.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:10 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It can be either the EGR cooler or the Headgaskets. The dealer will have to perform further tests to locate the leak. Here is the latest TSB on it.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...php?tsb=06-3-8

You may want to print this out and hand it to the dealer.

Good luck

Old 05-30-2007, 11:14 AM
BC Powerstroke
Senior User
Greatly appreciated blackhat620. I will post the outcome.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:27 PM
BC Powerstroke
Senior User
Dealer kept my truck overnight doing presure test and etc and said no evidence of problems. They indicated the coolant smell in the cab was probably from a slightly overfilled degas bottle as they forgot to put the new mark when the tech bulletin came out and the exhaust/oily brown haze and crap in my degas bottle is typcial 6L by-products.

I was not happy with there response as I was not convinced however they have been good for previous issues. I advised that the degas bottle has always been 1" below min level and that the degas alwaqys pukes no mater what level when towing.

That much crap generated in just 10,000km in the coolant system to me is BS as previous trucks did not have these symptons. When I asked ford what will happen to my water pump with such crap in the system he indicted they have no evidence of issues with water pumps in the 6L PSD.

I am still of the opinion that crap in the degas bottle is from the egr cooler or head gaskets. I am going to tow again next week here in the steep rockies of BC Canada for my bear hunting trip to likely see a puking degas bottle again and another trip to ford for a repeat episode until they figure it out or another dealer. I tow only with 5,000lbs and it is too bad I do not have access to a heavier trailer to provide better evidence.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:32 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 976 Posts
Sounds to me like a different dealer is in your future. Also, you should also write a "nice" letter to Ford about the present dealer.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:16 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
BC Powerstroke,

I am in agreement with BPof MD, a new trained & qualified diesel tech is needed. If there is oil/exhaust byproducts in the cooling system then it is either coming from a leaking EGR cooler or head gaskets. If the EGR cooler tests fine then i am betting the head gaskets are slowly starting to errode and it the puke is worse under load do to the increased pressures lifting the heads.

Good luck

Old 05-31-2007, 09:45 PM
toolman05kr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Head gaskets are definatly the most likely cause, Get a new tech and keep in mind a bad oil cooler can cause the oily residue in the coolant bottle.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:33 PM
BC Powerstroke
Senior User
When I went to pick up my truck today I discussed with the Service Manager and Diesel Shop Forman of my disatisfied with their repsonse that exhaust/crap in my coolant and degas bottle puking may happen on 6L PSD but it is not normal nor accetpable.

They ageed that if the symptoms continue and if I pay for aftermarket head studs (I will use ARP) they will install them. Of course I will make them check for warped heads and replace the stock head gaskets too.

I was impressed and felt they continue to hold their integirty in good service and keeping ford owners satisfied. I assume I am going down this path and will post the results.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:08 PM
toolman05kr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck and keep us informed,It's good to see they care about their customers.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:56 PM
freeride808
Freshman User
I have a 04 and have a simalar issue. I change my coolant and am wait to see how fast it comes back. Also on hills I am pulling engine temps around 220 F. Any ideas. I have banks inter cooler. 4" Ex, AFE intake, A2 Plat.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:00 PM
BC Powerstroke
Senior User
Freeride808:

I also have 4" turbo back exhaust, redline water wetter and have gauges installed (but do not have a coolant gauge other than stock) and so I can not comment on how hot my coolant is getting to. However my stock truck (no tuner) still pukes when towing on steep grades. In the BC Canada rockies where I live many highways have 8% grades for over 5km stretches which are hard on the trucks towing even though I keep EGT under 1250 degress for sustained periods.

It appears the 03-04 have more headgasket/headbolts problems than later models and the higher cylinder presures generated from installation of tuners tend to amplify the potential seeping of the cylinder presures/gases through the head gaskets into the lower presure cooling system causing the coolant to run hotter which is one common type of cause for the puking degas bottle. If this is happening it tends to get worse over time as mine appears to be experienceing.

Other causes is bad EGR cooler, bad EGR valve, warped heads and etc. I would bring your truck into the dealer if you haven't done so already and have them begin running their tech bulletin tests as they did for mine if it is under warranty. Keep bringing it back until they fix it. If you have a tuner or your warranty is expired then I suggest consider installing better head bolts such as ARP or H11. Most of the time this solves the puking problem if the other components are deterined ok. If you are running in the 450hp + range many on this forum will recomend many upgrades and better head gaskets should be on the list.

My opinion only but everybody's situation is always unique so good luck solving your trucks puking problems.

Last edited by BC Powerstroke; 06-04-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:02 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
BC Powerstroke,

Great info and a great post. You hit the nail on the head.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:39 PM
BC Powerstroke
Senior User
Ford dealer called and said they will be replacing my headgaskets. They also indicated that I need to get Ford head office approval if I can change my head bolts to ARP and the gaskets to the wire ring (parts at my cost). After talking to multiple of Ford head office branches (5 transfers) Ford head office said they are willing to accept my offer but will not warranty these non-ford head-gaskets and head-bolts and any future issues related or caused to these two non-ford parts is at my cost.

Is this normal for some of you that has upgraded to the ARP studs and/or head gaskets of your choice under ford warranty?

Any suggestions if I should do this as I am of the opinion it is my best long term benefit particulalry as if the injectors and turbo will b eupgraded to stage 1 or 2 when they go as well. I plan on keeping the truck till it dies and hopefully get my half a million km's out of it as I like my truck.

Ford will give me final ok on Monday. I called LIPD for preparing my potential order for the ARP studs and wire ring gaskets for my application and future use. LIPD advised me to make sure Ford checks that the head and block surface is better than the ford spec 2 thousand of an inch which I was already and familiar with.

Is LIPD the best place for wire ring head gaskets ($480us) and arp studs ($475us) or are there cheaper prices out there?

Since I am ordering this stuff now and since the Canadian dollar to the USA is good and not to mention on savings in avoiding future shiping costs my understanding wife agreed to get the SCT II and up delete pipe.

Cheers, I look forward to some of your advises and will contnue to post my results and hopefully benefit others.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
If your talking to LIPD, your talking to the best in the 6.0 business. Their prices are compairable with just about everyone. Their service after the sale is where they shine. As far as the Ford warranty, who gives a crap. I have come to this conclusion. Why on earth would I put the same crap back in that let go in the first place? EGR delete, fuel line crossover, fire ring and studs. You'll never go back for puking, even running the hottest file Matt can write. I would say that Ford is being fair with you, as long as you get all of this in writing. An injector will not go bad due to using head studs or fire ring gaskets, nor will a HPOP or HPOP fitting.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:56 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
BC Powerstroke,

I am with mrxlh 100% go for it and never look back. Do the EGR up-pipe delete, fuel cross over line at the same time. If you are dealing with Matt and the boys at LIPD you can do no better. I and they stand behind their products 110%.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dirty/Oily Coolant Puking