Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Let My Questions Begin

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let My Questions Begin

I noticed that some of you are supporters, which means you get added advantages. I may become one if i know that it gets rid of all the advertings. I kinda feel if i pay for a product i should not get blasted with ads. Does paying for the supporter status get rid of all advertising or just about 80% ?

I am putting a small lift on my truck and putting on larger tires. And i was reading elsewhere in the forums about steering stabilizers. I think i want to put them on, if for no other reason because they look cool. Heh. But do they provide enough reasons to put them on other than that?

Next is the same question on multiple shocks. I think having two or three shocks standing proud behind the tires is a pretty neat look. But does having more than one shock make a large difference or just a little difference?

Old 05-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You have none of the green underlined words, and no ads withing the posts, as well as no ads to the sides on the main forum page and in threads.
Steering stabilizers are a good thing if needed, and they are usually needed with larger tires. The downside is they increase steering effort since they are basically a non- pressurized shock absorber.
You should use as few shocks as you can get away with, but the correct ones. On 4x4s, I like adjustable shocks. I couldn't afford them on my last truck, so I put on dual factory shocks. Without enough shock absorption ability, you will wind up with massive wheelhop brought on by small bumps, also known as "death wobble". Trust me, this is unbelievably freaky to experience- Going 60mph on the highway, hit an expansion joint, and it feels like you just lost both front tires. Hit the brakes, it gets worse. The only thing to do is downshift and ride it out until it stops, and hopefully your truck doesn't shake itself apart or drag you out of the lane.
You should get good answers in the 4x4 forum, some you should take with a grain of salt, but overall it's good stuff.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
You also get the cool B-Sticker and shirt! That is not to mention that you are helping to support a very great Forum.

Is this something worth bragging about?...Only if you are a Ford Truck Enthusiast!

Last edited by Placermike; 05-28-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:36 AM
nighthawk285
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, the shirt alone was worth it....I figure everybody here at FTE has saved me WWWWWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY more than the cost of a 3-year $50.00 membership, and its a lot nicer.....the ad bars are gone, everything is the same color (not red and green)...worth it in my book

Old 05-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Parrsboro
Senior User
Okay, im a supporter

Old 05-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Parrsboro
Senior User
I have a question, rather a wondering of opinions..

After i get my truck lifted i think getting more horsepower is where i might go next.

I have the v10 enigine in my super duty.

Some people have suggested a few ideas of little things to do
Get headers instead of intake manifold
Get new cold intake air cleaner setup
perhaps getting a chip set upgrade thingy
larger exhaust
ect.....

what do you guys think?

Old 05-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
The first thing I would do is get gearing appropriate for the tires you put on it, then exhaust, then cold air intake, then power programmer. The programmer will let everything work together to maximize the output of the engine. You may need to reprogram the computer after the gear swap, though, since the computer may freak out that something's changed.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User
I did not even think of the gear ratio. Oi

hmm i just got off the phone with my local off road shop and they told me new gears to put in the truck would be about 2000 dollars.

My truck is a 1999 Ford f-250 SD
i have 3.73 i believe and he is suggesting 4.56

I am doing an 8" lift with 38" tires.

does a 2000 dollar job sound about right?

(this lifting project is turning into more cash than i thought it would)

I dont mind turning wrenches, so how hard is changing out the gears so i can save some labor cost. Maybe that would take it down to 1950 bucks lol

Old 05-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
The lift is easier for a backyard guy than the gear swap would be, since you do need to set the preload on the pinions, and the backlash between the ring and pinion, as well as the correct pattern between the ring and pinion.
The lift, for the most part, is nuts and bolts, swap old parts for new.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:36 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parrsboro, where in Auburn are you? I know the right people to talk to as well as FTE. PM me and we shall talk. Could even help you assist you.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM
993/4ton
Senior User
Parrsboro, I have a 7 inch lift and 37's on my 1999 f-250 v10 4x4. Dont do 4.56. Do 5.13 or even 5.38. I am doing 5.38 with mine. The 1999 model was the least powerful v-10, and when you lift the truck and add all that rotating mass, you need to gear lower. If you go to www.ringpinion.com they have a tire size rpm calculator to use. Use the one on the bottom and enter a trans ratio of .71, as that is the overdrive ratio for the 4r100 tranny, which is what you have if its an automatic. The V-10 is happiest cruising at 70 mph at about 22-2500 rpms. You will see that the 5.38 gearset will put you at about 2350 rpms at 70 mph. That is the sweetspot! The 4.56 gears will put you down to about 2000 rpms. The consequences of being below the sweetspot are: excessive shifting, excessive trans wear, poor fuel economy, lack of power, etc... Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Chris

Old 05-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User
Thanks on that 993/4ton

i am sure i will have more questions. Because for every one thing i do seems to bring up twenty questions heh

Dave

Old 06-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User
I went down to see my little truck today.

I think im gettin a bit eager to bring it home.

But they still need to put the front drive line back in, and install the power steering block when it finally gets out of the hands of the pony express.

Im not sure how to add pictures to a post so i just added another gallery.

If you go take a look you can see my little jalopy hangin up on the lift.

I think it looks kewl with the new fender flares added as well.

I stood next to it yesterday when it was on the floor and my nose only reached the bottom of the window. I may need to carry a bucket with me to get in.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Parrsboro
I went down to see my little truck today.

I think im gettin a bit eager to bring it home.

But they still need to put the front drive line back in, and install the power steering block when it finally gets out of the hands of the pony express.

Im not sure how to add pictures to a post so i just added another gallery.

If you go take a look you can see my little jalopy hangin up on the lift.

I think it looks kewl with the new fender flares added as well.

I stood next to it yesterday when it was on the floor and my nose only reached the bottom of the window. I may need to carry a bucket with me to get in.

Doesn't matter which gallery you have the pics...you can have a link in your posts.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User

ya i went to the forum test and help area and just found out how to do that.

thanks PlacerMike

Quick Reply: Let My Questions Begin