Ethanol, some of you guys just don't get it

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:17 PM
White Shadow
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTrucksKickGM
Since the price of corn has gone up we blame it all on the ethanol production blah blah blah. For years there has been a surplus of corn and other crops and the government has even paid farmers NOT to plant their crops. We now have a new market for our crops and people in this country are profiting. The money is spent here and stays here. The excess waste from ethanol production feeds cows so we arent taking food from them but changing the process of how it gets there. After the cows process the corn their waste is used to help power the ethanol production. Cows are an excellent source of methane which is burned to generate electricity for the ethanol plants. You cant blame ethanol for the price of EVERYTHING going up. The cost of gasoline has skyrocketed in the last few years, housing costs have gone up, food is more expensive, minimum wage is going up etc... Everything is getting more expensive no matter how you look at it.

Well said FordTrucksKickGM-statistics show that about 10% of our crops rot and go to waste-read the farm journals, and actually go talk to a farmer. We now use about 10% of the corn crops for ethanol production, and with increased acreage planted this year-we still might have some go to waste. Ethanol plants are now being located next to landfills to utilize free methane-this way the methane doesn't have to be burned off or escape into the atmosphere, and new technologies are making production more streamlined and efficient. Farmers are finally profiting, government has less PIK payments, the INDY 500 now runs races on ethanol, we get clean buring fuel, pissing of OPEC-PRICELESS!!! By the way E85 went down to $2.32 today-AWESOME!!! GO USA!!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 PM
White Shadow
Junior User
Great website to answer your questions

Here's a sight to check out!! http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Page?template=Myths and you can check out the videos too if you have high speed internet. Enjoy!

Old 08-02-2007, 06:50 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What exactly is that web site selling?

Old 08-02-2007, 03:49 PM
gray91
Elder User
This changes everything..

The site links to companies selling kits, EPA approved and certified OBD2 compliant, as well as warranteed. I believe they are fuel injector kits that will make any fuel-injected vehicle flex-fuel capable.

I hate the news media. Once upon a time they researched their topics and published the truth. Now that I see this website, and learned that they can get the ethanol out AND use the corn for feed and other corn by-products, that blows away the previous notions I had about this before. Not to mention the cost to produce it now being below the cost going in..

I don't know who is behind this anti-ethanol campaign.. Cannot be the White House because he is pushing for this stuff.

Hopefully this is true. But it gets to a point that ya gotta ask, "Who's telling the truth?"

Anyway I can wait and see what actually happens because E-85 is not available where I live, yet.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by gray91
The site links to companies selling kits, EPA approved and certified OBD2 compliant, as well as warranteed. I believe they are fuel injector kits that will make any fuel-injected vehicle flex-fuel capable.

Ok. Well as long as they are a fair and unbiased source with no vested interest in the outcome of the ethanol for fuel industry....

Old 08-02-2007, 05:50 PM
gray91
Elder User
Where is Joe Friday when you really need him..

Originally Posted by 76supercab2
Ok. Well as long as they are a fair and unbiased source with no vested interest in the outcome of the ethanol for fuel industry....
All I want is the facts, and with so many strongly opposing viewpoints out there looks like I'll wait and see what shakes out down the road.

I wrote a post to this thread last week after reading and seeing the ills of ETOH, incuding starving cows and kids and all that, but the site that whiteshadow's post linked to said otherwise. And these are research scientists and such. No cartel for corn and gas-tank-hooch yet.. So forget about my earlier post...

I hope.

But it seems like changing over the truck and car to flex fuel ain't a bad idea in either case. If they get E-85 out this way will certainly give it a try. The F150 gets 12 or 13 mpg anyway so won't hurt to try.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:06 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
I suggest you check posts 49, 55, and 57 of this thread. Prooves it costs more to run E85 than gas. Even if the per gallon cost of ethanol is cheaper.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:49 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by White Shadow
Well said FordTrucksKickGM-statistics show that about 10% of our crops rot and go to waste-read the farm journals, and actually go talk to a farmer. We now use about 10% of the corn crops for ethanol production, and with increased acreage planted this year-we still might have some go to waste. Ethanol plants are now being located next to landfills to utilize free methane-this way the methane doesn't have to be burned off or escape into the atmosphere, and new technologies are making production more streamlined and efficient. Farmers are finally profiting, government has less PIK payments, the INDY 500 now runs races on ethanol, we get clean buring fuel, pissing of OPEC-PRICELESS!!! By the way E85 went down to $2.32 today-AWESOME!!! GO USA!!
Well said.... Finally we will make a profit. Unless the drought takes the corn crop away. Really dry here.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:53 PM
White Shadow
Junior User
Dry in Indiana too, but looks like a good crop anyway. Some farmers around here would like to try other crops like sugar beets, but our plants are geared up for corn processing-keep your fingers crossed!!! Another good website is e85fuel.com, and they also have a filling station locator.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:00 PM
White Shadow
Junior User
Here's the only place in MA who has e85-hope it's close:

Burke Oil
410 Beacham St.
Chelsea, MA 2150
617-884-7800

P.S. write Ted Kennedy and ask him to support alternitive fuels!!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 PM
White Shadow
Junior User
Originally Posted by 76supercab2
I suggest you check posts 49, 55, and 57 of this thread. Prooves it costs more to run E85 than gas. Even if the per gallon cost of ethanol is cheaper.
Some of you guys just don't get it! I am a ASE master tech and am not gonna try to make you use e85, I'm just letting you know my personal experiences ect... I pay the same fuel COSTS for gas or e85-it's all a wash. It all comes out even. Pulled a couple spark plugs Saturday and they looked like they came out of the box after almost 70,000 miles. With proper ECM calibration, it is a viable fuel. Why are most auto manufacterers building flex fuel vehicles then? I use e85 because I am a patriotic AMERICAN and tired of other countries dictating how I live. Oil goes in the crankcase and ethanol goes in the tank, and the price of my whiskey and vodka hasn't gone up yet. Both me and the truck run on ethanol and we like it. GO USA!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:18 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Thank you for supporting the USA farmers.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Big Daddy 18C
Senior User
I put a tank of E85 in my '06 FFV F150 XLT 4x4 (24.6 gallons, obviously there were a few gallons of 87 octane left). At $2.36/gal vice $2.65 for 87 Octane, the cost savings were only 12%. Alas!--the reduced mpg performance is not a mere 12%, but more like 30%.

I will probably continue to use E85 on the theory that the long term damage to the engine will be greatly reduced (sure would be nice if the DOE/EPA or NEVC spent the $$ to confirm this). I'm "lucky" in that I don't have a job and don't put a lot of miles on my truck, otherwise regular fill-ups might discourage me from using E85.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:57 PM
White Shadow
Junior User
Run another tank and let the PCM stabilize-if this is your first tank, it's probably freaking out. Let me know what happens.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:00 AM
christcorp
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's try some basic math. Based on all the numbers here, ranging from $2.85 for 87 octane (some quoting $2.65) to $2.35 for E85, that is a 10-20% savings in cost. Now, ethanol in it's own right is 30% less efficient than gasoline in producing energy, BUT because it is E85 (15% gasoline), it is only about 20% less efficient than gasoline. (Many here have already shown that with mileage of 16 of E85 and 20 with 87 octane.

So let's add this up. Typical gas tank of 18 gallons. Using E85 at $2.35 equals $42.30. Using 87 octane, it costs $51.30. EXCELLENT!!! You saved $9.00. Very impressive. Or is it???? Let's see. You went from 20mpg to 16mpg. That means that the tank of gas went 72 less miles. That's not too bad. But, to get back that 72 miles means you now need 4.5 more gallons of E85. (72 miles divided by 16mpg). Now, 4.5 more gallons at $2.35 equals; $10.57. WHAT!!!!!!! You mean it actually cost you $1.57 more per tank to go the same amount of miles?????? WTF!!!!!!!

Plus, they raised the price of milk, beef, and all other corn or ethanol grain alcohol related goods. AND, while you think your engine is burning cleaner, in reality it is just as bad because you need MORE OF IT to get you the same distance. PLUS, many universities are finding that there are health and ecological concerns creadted from ethanol that are even different than from gasoline.

Plus, we live in a global economy. Some of you may not want to think about that, and believe that the USA can survive on our own, but we are beyond that. It is a global economy. You might think it's great (Screwing) the oil producing countries, but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. BUT; I personally don't care about the money. I would gladly pay more for the fuel and would gladly say screw the arabs (I've eaten way to much sand over there.) And would even be will to pay higher repairs on my vehicles. IF I thought that ethanol was better for the environment and the ecology. It's not. It's at least equal in damage. Possibly worse because of newer unknown health problems they are finding that wasn't there using gasoline.

So, believe what you want. The numbers I gave you are as factual as they come. YOU ALL PROVIDED THE NUMBERS RIGHT HERE. I didn't make this crap up. It basic economics. You are being shown a slight of hand card trick. Hell, if you have to buy E85, at least buy if for a B.S. reason like it's helping the farmers. Personally, that's a crock because many of the Archar Daniel Midland resources aren't the Mom and Pop farmers any longer. They are the corporate farms. But at least that excuse is a plausible one. Just don't give me the crap about cleaner buring, better for the environment, and less expensive. That is all BS. The numbers don't lie. What's worse, is if the government wasn't subsidizing the ethanol; (Oh yea, did I forget to mention the $0.57 a gallon subsidy); then not only would you be getting LESS miles per gallon, raising the price of farm, dairy, and beef products, hurting the environment and ecology in even more different ways, but you would be paying about $0.10 a gallon more for the crap than you are for the 87 octane.

Have a nice day. Later... Mike....

Quick Reply: Ethanol, some of you guys just don't get it