1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any F-450 license or insurance hassles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:38 PM
TCamper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any F-450 license or insurance hassles?

I'm close to getting an F-450. Anybody having license or insurance issues
or any other legal hassles?

Old 05-27-2007, 12:16 AM
GLGSr
New User
I had issues with mine. Since it's considered a medium duty truck Farmers wouldn't insure it. My agent worked pretty hard at it since I had been with him a long time. I finally went with Good Sams GMAC insurance. I'm a full time RVer so they could supply that as well.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:03 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Licensing and insurance are going to depend a large amount on the state you live in. In some states the F450/F550 are considered commercial vehicles and you are required to have special drivers license, MCP and insurance rates are higher. Other states could care less and all you pay is a little higher weight fee for your license plates.

Check you local DMV rules for the correct answers in your state and call your insurance agent and ask them.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:16 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
I've had problems with even my F-350. Due to the weight it's considered a commercial vehicle even though I use it only for personal use. The weight and commercial designation require the driver to carry a class "D" operators license here in Florida. It least that's a good excuse not to let my son drive it.

I have also had problems getting insurance, as many places say they don't write commercial vehicle policies, and that is how Florida list the truck on the registration based solely on its weight.

On the up side, seat belt laws don't apply to commercial vehicles.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:23 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
The F-450 I looked at had a GVWR of 14,000#. I have two trailers, 12,900# & 12,000# GVWR. Here in GA I would be required to have a CDL to pull either trailer. Also, you then have to stop at the weigh in stations. Under 26,000# GVWR, it is my understanding, you can wave at the truck weigh stations. I have not had problems with my F - 350 on weight issues.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by firemediceric
Maybe not at the state level, but there is a federal level seat belt requirement for commercial vehicles, and they WILL write tickets for it.

-blaine

Old 05-27-2007, 02:58 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TCamper
I'm close to getting an F-450. Anybody having license or insurance issues
or any other legal hassles?
where are you located in IL?
I have an F-350 (class D license plate), you will probably have that or an E/F. This will cost you upwards of $158.00(class D)
You will have to have it inspected by a IL state certified Heavy truck inspection location. It will cost $25, 12 per axle plus 1 dollar for the sticker every six months.
I go to a location in Bloomingdale on Army Trail RD. There is another location in Lombard on North Ave(rt 64) attached to Suburban Drieveline.
any other questions?
visit the secretary of Il website for all the rules(IDOT as well)
I know there are def rules about driving trucks with certain weight classifications and wether you must have a Commericial Driver's License to drive them legally.
I do not need one for my truck and I have normal insurance coverage through American Family

Last edited by BobbyDiesel71; 05-27-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:22 PM
threeonebravo
Junior User
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Licensing and insurance are going to depend a large amount on the state you live in. In some states the F450/F550 are considered commercial vehicles and you are required to have special drivers license, MCP and insurance rates are higher. Other states could care less and all you pay is a little higher weight fee for your license plates.

Check you local DMV rules for the correct answers in your state and call your insurance agent and ask them.
My 250 is commercial in many states even (bought it in CA and had commercial reg IIRC), and it's also restricted on some roads like parts of NJ's GSP (anything over 7k lbs).

Old 05-27-2007, 08:23 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
I've had problems with even my F-350. Due to the weight it's considered a commercial vehicle even though I use it only for personal use. The weight and commercial designation require the driver to carry a class "D" operators license here in Florida. It least that's a good excuse not to let my son drive it.

I have also had problems getting insurance, as many places say they don't write commercial vehicle policies, and that is how Florida list the truck on the registration based solely on its weight.

Fla CDL Laws start at 26000 GVW F-350 is far from that
Fla seat belt law is on all vehicles even class 8

Old 05-27-2007, 08:30 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rmosso1
The F-450 I looked at had a GVWR of 14,000#. I have two trailers, 12,900# & 12,000# GVWR. Here in GA I would be required to have a CDL to pull either trailer. Also, you then have to stop at the weigh in stations. Under 26,000# GVWR, it is my understanding, you can wave at the truck weigh stations. I have not had problems with my F - 350 on weight issues.
According to FLA DOT all trucks registered commercial are suppose to stop at scales
In georgia on state roads it states all trucks stop
I too drive by scales and ag stations on interstate in both states,but legal I don't know

Old 05-28-2007, 04:27 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
I guess I need to research this more. Local tag office told me the F-350 "HAD" to be registered commercial due to its weight. They also confirmed that a class "D" licens is needed to operate the truck. I have also had various insurers tell me that its weight alone makes it a commercial vehicle regardless of how it is used.

I have had FHP officers tell me that due to the truck being a commercial vehicle due to the weight, seat belt law does not apply, just like a dump truck was the example one trooper used.

I guess until I actually see State statute, it's all hearsay

Old 05-28-2007, 04:36 PM
FordSVTCobra
Senior User
Here in NY, DMV required my 07 F-350 to be registered as a commercial vehicle even though I use it for personal use only. It's a bit of a hassle due to parkway restrictions but not too bad.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:15 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
I guess I need to research this more. Local tag office told me the F-350 "HAD" to be registered commercial due to its weight. They also confirmed that a class "D" licens is needed to operate the truck. I have also had various insurers tell me that its weight alone makes it a commercial vehicle regardless of how it is used.

I have had FHP officers tell me that due to the truck being a commercial vehicle due to the weight, seat belt law does not apply, just like a dump truck was the example one trooper used.

I guess until I actually see State statute, it's all hearsay
In Florida a 1 ton pickup has to be registered because of its weight
seat belts are not exempt in any motor vehicle no matter dump truck,tractor trailer or what except maybe a motor cycle
I have held a class A CDL since day one and owner operator trucker this I know
Have never had problem insuring my F350 in Fla as private vehicle and have it weight lisenced for 21000 lbs
I have been told in Georgia trucks are exempt

Old 05-28-2007, 09:19 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
Some links I found that seem to indicate that occupants of a truck over 5,000 lbs are exempt from the seat belt law:

http://stateofflorida.com/Portal/Des...aspx?tabid=212 Scroll down to "Safety Belts"

http://www.bts.gov/publications/stat...ble_02_04.html I'm looking at "Florida" and all the way to the right under "Vehicles Exempted"

Without looking at the paper work I don't even know how much my dually weighs. Although I find it hard to believe and I'm probably mistaken, it would seem these exemptions even apply to minors that are in the commercial vehicle, as nothing is said about them.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:35 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
http://stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=212 Scroll down to "Safety Belts"
Copyright © 2000-2005, State of Florida.com. All Rights Reserved

Quick Reply: Any F-450 license or insurance hassles?