Trick Flow intake and EGR setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Mr. M
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Trick Flow intake and EGR setup

I need some expert advice!<O</O

I picked up a used <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><st1:Street w:st=[/img]<st1:address w:st="on">TFS street</st1:address></st1:Street> (idle-5500) intake, 3/8” phenolic spacer, and 90 degree adapter for dirt cheap.

My question was regarding which late model mustang throttle body to pick up. 87-93 5.0 ‘stangs use a throttle body with an EGR spacer between the upper plenum and the TB. The 94-95 ‘stangs use a TB with the EGR functions built in.

I checked motorcraft part numbers and the EGR Sensor is identical in my truck and the 94-95 stangs. However, the EGR valve, and the gaskets are different part numbers.

I called up TFS to see if they new how to make this work in my truck application to no avail.

How do I make my stock EGR system work with this intake? <O</O

Which TB should I pick up? Is there any fabrication required? <O</O

I’m guessing that some of these parts are interchangeable, but I don’t have the funds to buy all available parts and figure it out.<O</O

Any insight to this problem would be much appreciated.<O</O

Thanks,<O</O

M

Old 05-31-2007, 03:04 PM
TrickFlow Tech
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of our intakes are designed for use with the Mustang type single blade throttle body.

When using any of our intakes in a truck with the dual blade TB you will need to convert over to the Mustang style throttle body arrangement.

If I remember correctly, the early Lightning trucks used either the Cobra or the GT40 intake & 87-93 Mustang TB assembly. That would be where I'd start my search...

Old 05-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
The GEN 1 Lightnings used a 65mm throttle body which I think is a tad larger than the 87-93 Mustangs.
Water 5 did a GT-40 conversion on his 94, he'll probably chime in and post some details about the swap he did.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Mr. M
Elder User
Originally Posted by TrickFlow Tech
When using any of our intakes in a truck with the dual blade TB you will need to convert over to the Mustang style throttle body arrangement.

If I remember correctly, the early Lightning trucks used either the Cobra or the GT40 intake & 87-93 Mustang TB assembly. That would be where I'd start my search...
I apologize for the confusion. I am aware of the single blade TB requirement for the use of this intake. My question was, which one do I use to work in conjunction with my EGR setup? I'm not sure which of these two model throttle bodies (87-93, and 94-95) will work with my truck.

Thanks again.

M

Old 05-31-2007, 10:34 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Doesn't your truck have the external EGR tube from the exhaust to the the valve? The Mustangs EGR was internal in the intake that got the exhaust from the crossover in the lower intake. You would need to use a 87-93 TB and EGR spacer and block off the pipe coming up from the exhaust manifold. The sensor is the same as the one on your truck but since you have to put the throttlebody on the driver's side, you may have to lengthen the wires.

The stock 87-93 Mustang TB is 60mm. The stock 87-93 Mustang MAF is 55mm.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Mr. M
Elder User
First of all, Many thanks LxMan for your input! I appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by LxMan1
Doesn't your truck have the external EGR tube from the exhaust to the the valve? You would need to use a 87-93 TB and EGR spacer and block off the pipe coming up from the exhaust manifold.
I believe I do have an external EGR tube. This tube starts at the bottom of the EGR valve, goes underneath the upper plenum (not sure where it goes after there) and connects to a 9/16" or 5/8" fitting in the Y pipe downstream of the headers... am I off base here?

Would this still retain full function? i.e. plugging the tube coming from the bassani y pipe? How does the EGR spacer come into play in lieu of plugging the old pipe? Is the ECU going to hate life?

Originally Posted by LxMan1
The sensor is the same as the one on your truck but since you have to put the throttlebody on the driver's side, you may have to lengthen the wires.
Again...just wondering. Why would the throttle body be forced on the driver's side? Is it a space issue? I'd prefer to keep it on the passenger side if possible. Not that I'm scared to lengthen any wires (I'd certainly prefer not to, however), but I do like the setup on the passenger side. With a 90 degree adapter I should be able to route the intake tubes to my existing cold air box. Which I spent a bit of time building with sheet aluminum....and I'd hate to have to start over on!! If I'm forced to...oh well

Thanks in advance!

M

Old 06-01-2007, 05:01 AM
LxMan1

The Lightnings were on the drivers side. You can try it with the 90 degree adapter, you will have to modify the air intake for the single bladed TB.
Yes, you will need to use the Mustang EGR plate and block off the pipe that goes to your EGR valve now.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
It seems everybody is confused here.
Mr M. has a TFS intake he's using, so the stock truck EGR parts and the way it's plumbed are irrelavent since the TFS is internally manifolded for EGR just like the mustang. He will have to use a mustang style EGR plate and EGR valve between the upper intake and TB. If the EGR position sensors are the same then that can be reused, but everything else will have to come from a mustang, or be purchased new as if it was going on a mustang.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
Mr M. has a TFS intake he's using, so the stock truck EGR parts and the way it's plumbed are irrelavent since the TFS is internally manifolded for EGR just like the mustang....
...or a GT-40/GEN 1 Lightning. They're both plumbed the same except for the throttle bodies; I think the Lightning TB's were larger, 65mm, and the EGR spacer on those trucks is about a 70mm.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Mr. M
Elder User
. If the EGR position sensors are the same then that can be reused, but everything else will have to come from a mustang, or be purchased new as if it was going on a mustang.

Conanski, what are you referring to when you say "everything else?" The EGR valve itself?

Thanks again for answering the immediate question of which TB to use for this application.

M

Old 06-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. M
Conanski, what are you referring to when you say "everything else?" The EGR valve itself?
Yes, the EGR valve, the actuator and obviously the EGR plate. The sensor is just 1 small part of this assembly.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:16 PM
jade79
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock mustang and gt40 series intakes could be rotated so the throttlebody could face either direction, passenger or drivers side. Don't know for certain about the trickflow but would assume so. The 5.0 explorers used 65mm throttlebodys but the linkage worked differently from the mustang and had to be slightly modified so the tps sensor would fit. (a tang on the throttle shaft had to be ground down) Ford Racing makes a 65 mm throttlebody for the 5.0 mustangs as well as a 67mm egr spacer. I think there's an interference issue of the throttle blade when runing a 65mm throttlebody with a stock size egr spacer.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:21 AM
LxMan1

Mr M. has a TFS intake he's using, so the stock truck EGR parts and the way it's plumbed are irrelavent since the TFS is internally manifolded for EGR just like the mustang. He will have to use a mustang style EGR plate and EGR valve between the upper intake and TB. If the EGR position sensors are the same then that can be reused, but everything else will have to come from a mustang, or be purchased new as if it was going on a mustang.
That's what I said in my earlier post. This is why you have to block off the existing EGR supply tube on the truck.