Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 AM
Elder User

MikeSDK is starting off with a positive reputation.
What steps to change to B20?

Hello folks-

I have been running diesel with Power Service fuel additive in my 7.3, but I am very interested in switching over to B20. I have recently found a few stations in my area that are supposed to be carrying it, so at least locally, I should be able to find it.

I have a few questions however-
If you are travelling, what do you do if you can't find a biodiesel pump? Is it OK to go back and forth with regular diesel?

Are there any steps I need to take to prepare my truck to run Bio?

Do I need to use Lucas or some other product as a 'top lube' additive?

Are there any threads here in this forum that can help clarify some basics for a beginner and give me some directio on getting started?

All help is appreciated!
Isspro EV A-pillar, AIS intake w/ fender sleeve, 5' exhaust, KCM HPX, Tru-Cool Max, BTS VB, RDP FRX, AIH delete, plenum inserts and boots, and Casserly Stage 1 Injectors, 38R and DP Tuner (live tuned) thanks to the gang at RRE 2012!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Posting Guru

kennedyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
The only suggestion is to carry an extra fuel filter as bio will clean out your system and shove all the junk into your filter. Swithing back and forth will not affect your engine whatsoever. Youll want your addatives for the low sulfer diesel but b20 overcomes all of the lubricity factors. No addatives for b20, addatives for number 2.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Senior User

Murphy2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just dump it in and go..

The fuel filter clogging thing is half myth and half truth...
I tell folks to carry the extra filter just in case but after thousands of gallons served, I have not had one report of a filter actually clogging..

That's not to say it doesnt happen, but its rare..
Old 05-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Senior User

Wheatina is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mike...you don't need to change a thing, or do anything to prepare for using B20, or any biodiesel mix (using straight unprocessed vegetable oil is different...that's where you have to make some changes). Your PSD is all ready to go. Fuel lines and associated gaskets and seals are all made of materials compatible with biodiesel in the newer models from around 1996 on.

No additives needed!!

When you can't get BD on the road, you can go right back to petro diesel with no problems...that is if YOU can stand it after running BD. The truck can take it, but I can't!! You'll probably find that the truck likes BD better, too, I'll be installing an extra tank in the bed when I start traveling beyond BD suppliers.

Don't hesitate to try some BD!! You, and your truck, will love it!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
As previously said "no modifications to B20" but if your fuel system is rusty/corroded. It will find a pinhole and start to leak easier than on #2. It will clean your fuel system squeeky clean and any rust , gunk from over the years will find its way to the fuel filter.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
You won't have as many problems with B20 in a 2002, but in my 88 I went thru so many filters when I first started It almost made it not worth it, but then it just stopped, not more problems, but in a newer truck there is not as much corrosion in the first place.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Senior User

vettehauler is starting off with a positive reputation.
You have a much greater chance of loosing a seal from running straight ULSD than you will ever have running Bio-Diesel, Ive run it now for over 3 years, and trust me I am a firm believer. My truck runs quieter and smoother.

one note though; I was running B35 this winter and for the first time ever it did gel up on me. But that was my own stupidity for not adding any additives.

2002 F250 4x4,Lariat,PSD,6 speed, Island Blue, SCMT-Autometer Boost and Pyro, 4" downpipe, 5 " exhaust, "Cat" removed....thats all for now
Old 06-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
I started running B20 in my 02 at 155,000 miles. I checked the filter every week because I was scared of it plugging up, but never noticed it getting dirtier than normal. Like others said switching back to #2 is no problem just have some additive handy if you're going to burn several tanks of it to help with lubricity.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Postmaster

Fat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to all
I've been running B99 at least 3 out of 4 tanks for the last six months without issue.
Early 99 F250 PSD 4x4 CC 6spd Common Mods 300,000+ Miles, No longer driven daily
1964 Falcon Convert 289 Toploader 9" 4 Wheel Disks
Nov '10 Recipient: "dedicated report-back tech thread poster" award!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
Fat- I've never understood "B99"- why bother putting just 1 gal of #2 into 100 gallons of bio??
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 06-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Postmaster

Fat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to all
I'm not sure either. It just comes out of the pump that way...

Oh yeah. I went to school with Brian Burke, just thought you might know them.
Early 99 F250 PSD 4x4 CC 6spd Common Mods 300,000+ Miles, No longer driven daily
1964 Falcon Convert 289 Toploader 9" 4 Wheel Disks
Nov '10 Recipient: "dedicated report-back tech thread poster" award!
Old 06-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Junior User

howardq99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo75
Fat- I've never understood "B99"- why bother putting just 1 gal of #2 into 100 gallons of bio??
I believe that with B99 it qualifies for a 99 cents per gallon rebate. At least that is what shows on my receipt here in Phoenix. The line reads "99% AGRI-BIODSL PRICE INCENTIVE" then lists the number of gallons at a price of -0.99 per gallon and then subtracts that from the total cost.
2004 EB Excursion 4X4 6.0L PSD 3.73LS /3" Donahoe Racing Lift & Shocks / Landyot Radius Rods /ARP Head Studs / Blue FPR Spring / Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar / Firestone Airbags / Dieselsite Coolant Filter / Stealth Automotive CCV Filter Kit / Harpooned / HFCM Plug / Silverstar 9005s in the fogs / Fumoto Valve / SyncroMax in Transfer Case / Magnafine PS Filter/ ART Rotors & Hawk Pads / LT275/70R18 Hankook DynaPro ATm RF10's on Helo MAXX Rims / 2006 ATC Custom Trailer w/Hensley Arrow Hitch
Old 06-20-2007, 08:25 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Blenders of Biodiesel receive a $1 per gallon rebate from the Feds for every gallon used, But DO NOT get the rebate for B-100. Some blenders pass the savings on to customers, but a lot do not...............

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 06-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
Gotcha- it don't matter to me as I have yet to find a commercial bio station here in so cal
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 06-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Gotcha- it don't matter to me as I have yet to find a commercial bio station here in so cal
Here is a list in Cal. I see a few in S. Cal. Hopefully near you. http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...tate.asp?st=CA
Old 06-21-2007, 07:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
73, b20, build, change, f350, ford, running, steps