Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 f150 wiring (stereo) HELP

Old 05-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Laskowski06
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 f150 wiring (stereo) HELP

hi, i'm redoing my interior and am putting in a new stereo, 6x9's and 6.5's basically everything, i need the wiring diagram for the stereo, as far as what wires go where into the deck, the guy who had it before me cut all the wires and its just a mess (i suspect he was a tweaker) anyways. i have the wiring for my deck, but just what wires are what as far as in dash, can anyone please help me?

Old 05-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Popa Tim
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Install the speakers first and you'll see what color those wires will be; then all you need is power, accesory power, and ground, All easily found with a dvm or noid light since ground is always black. Be sure to keep track of which you have on + and - so you can match it at the head unit end.

If you really need it, they can be found in the back of a haynes manual.

I just did mine last week, but I can't recall all the color combos. Ford didn't use the same color scheme for each speaker either. Like my right door was white w/green stripe and a green w/orange stripe instead of something like white (+) and white w/stripe(-) : that would just make too much sense...

Old 05-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Laskowski06
New User
this is where i started...

this is where im at now

is there anywhere online that says what factory wires are and what color? i checked a chiltons and they didnt have it... either that or im disabled.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:31 PM
nighthawk285
Posting Guru
If you go to a Wal-Mart or somewhere that sells the adapter plugs, that'll tell you. Thats what I have in mine, so the new deck still uses the stock harness....

Love the diamond-plate idea on the lower half of the doors, I cut mine more towards the back (by the vent thingy).....but I'm really liking the diamond-plate

Old 05-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Old 05-24-2007, 10:23 PM
nighthawk285
Posting Guru
good call Chris, good info

Old 05-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Laskowski06
New User
Chris- i'll wire everything up tomorrow morning, thankds for the info, and i'll post pics when im done with everything. thanks for all the comments.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 AM
eric f150
Freshman User
if you have any specific questions i got all the wire colours all wrote down cause i did mine sunday night/monday its all still on a piece of paper somwhere, and if you plan on running an amp spice the wire for the power windows, then you can run the fuse, which is 30 amp to start with and you dont have to run a wire through the firewall.

i like the 4x9s in the bottom of the door, is it possible to put them there without doing anything major, im not sure i want to get rid of the pockets so???? and has anyone ever put speakers in the colums behind your head, thats my next step but i dont have the money to do anything right now.

either way, good job, i like the dimond plate, im just not goin to that right now.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:27 AM
f150XLTLariat
New User
dude the dimond plate looks pretty sweet man looks pretty cool

Old 05-25-2007, 03:38 PM
malveaux0089
New User
one thing to remember when re-running speaker wire is the wire length. you must ensure that all wires you run wether it is for a front speaker or a rear speaker need to be the same length. there is this thing called phase and when 2 signals are 180 degrees out of phase, they will cancel each other out. so if you have one wire going to the front right speaker and another going to the left front but the wires are different length, they will most likely be out of phase. in other words the sound arrives at one speaker before the other. making all speaker wires the same length is an easy way to avoid this. the other way is to use a vestor volt meter to measure the "electrical length" of the wire at a certain frequency.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Laskowski06
New User
malveaux0089- already took that into account, thanks for the info.

Chris- you are the man, i used that page you linked me to and now im up and running, everything sounds great and looks great in my opinion. i owe you one.

here are some pics.....

'

(notice the input for my iPod )

in the upper door i have diamond audio 6.5" and below i have pioneer 6x9's, the green stuff is a moisture barrier / sound deadener used for laminate floors. sounds great though, i love it. let me know what you think.

Last edited by Laskowski06; 05-25-2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: forgot detail
Old 05-25-2007, 05:27 PM
CodyClark56
New User
Hey, um not to highjack a thread or anything but i'm doing the exact same thing.. I just got a small question..

I have a '89 Ford F-150 and i'm redoing the whole interior..

So.. I got a new head unit today and I got a harness converter and all that..
But before I was smart enough to do that I took the wires out of the harness...
So now I have all my wires mixed and jumbled up..
Is there any possible way I can find out which wire goes where?
And yes it was a very stupid move on my part, this is the first audio job i've done.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Cody I posted a link above to a site that has all the different wire colors and where they go.

And Laskowski, that setup looks sweet dude. I commend you, you know what you're doing. Truck looks great and I love the idea for the ipod cord coming out the dash, mine just hangs out from underneath. Do you have it on some kind of wind-up/retractable spring or do you just feed it manually back into the dash? Either way, GREAT idea. Everything looks good, glad I could help.

-Chris

Old 05-26-2007, 02:46 AM
Laskowski06
New User
CodyClark56- if you still need it tomorrow, i'll pull my head unit out and tell you what wires go where exactly from the ford factory harness, im not sure if they are going to be the same being 2 years apart, i know they changed from year to year.

and

Chris- I manually feed it through the little grommet, its not bad at all though. need to fab something up to hold the iPod, did you notice the two tone doors and the black kick plates and seatbelt trim? keep in tough i'd like to share some ideas with you.

Last edited by Laskowski06; 05-26-2007 at 02:52 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:27 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Laskowski06
Chris- I manually feed it through the little grommet, its not bad at all though. need to fab something up to hold the iPod, did you notice the two tone doors and the black kick plates and seatbelt trim? keep in tough i'd like to share some ideas with you.
Cool let me know when you get it all fabbed up and get some pictures up!!! Drives me nuts having my iPod sitting in my cupholder with a cord running across the seat and up under the bottom of the dash.

And I couldn't find any pictures of the black kick panel/seatbelt trim you were talking about in any of your pictures... What were you talking about? lol

-Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 f150 wiring (stereo) HELP