1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got 89 XLT got q's...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-1999, 03:02 AM
RollinoverU

ok i just got a 89 lxt. it's a 351 with no overdrive and my friend wants to trade me tranny's. He has a 302 with AOD. Is this a good deal? Also my door locks don't work, the fuse is fine, where do i go from here? i'm assuming wireing, but how do i track it down? thanks for any help,

Tony
93 Mustang Cobra
89 Bronco XLT

Old 12-14-1999, 01:55 PM
Superdave
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would keep your C-6 three speed auto that you have. These are very good and strong transmissions. I had big Bronco's in both versions you describe( 88 with 351W,C-6 and 90 with 302,AOD ) I don't think the 302,AOD got hardly any better mileage than the 351W,C-6 combo, and the overdrive constantly shifting up and down was annoying.

Old 12-14-1999, 09:47 PM
Don
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ihave driven vehicles with both transmissions, i currently have a 90 fullsize, eddie bauer.......351 with aod............my dad has a 89xlt with the 3 speed...
his truck has alot more ***** off the line than mine does........probably because it's set up with the towing package(tranny fan and oil cooler), but once you get going and you kick the od in.........my truck will blow his away......so here's the deal. If you don't do a lot of highway driving........leave your truck alone. If you are on the highway alot and you want to pass ma and pa kettle in their big ol winnie, without having your engine wind out to pass them..........grab the aod tranny........but remember, you are dealing with a 10 year old vehicle........so mixing older and newer units.......if that is the case.......may vary performance.
As for the doors........check the swithes with a multimeter or tester.........if you are getting power to the switch, and the switch seems to work......replace the door motors.........i had to do with of mine with in the past 6 months........they are expensive.........about 120 a piece.........maybe you can grab a couple for a nearby junk yard.

Old 12-15-1999, 06:54 PM
fast eddie