Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Canadian National Chapter > British Columbia
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

British Columbia British Columbia
Join Chapter, Leader: Zip

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Elder User

bchunter is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's alive. IT'S ALIVE !!!!!!!!

There is no replacement for displacement.

I got back from my trip and went to the shop and here is my rig sitting there all unassuming. That is until I turned the key and all 5.8 litres of power unleashed their mighty roar through the true duals. WOW, what a difference !!!!!!!!!!! I never realised how sluggish my rig was until I drove it with the new engine. The mech did an awesome job. It is a fuel injected 97 351w with no MAF, which I am very happy about. The truck drives unreal now. I am barely touching the go-go juice pedal and it roles down the highway no prob, but when I do touch the pedal, man does she go. I am going to need to buy a radar dectector now. I was cruising to work this morning as happy as a clam when I looked down and I was doing 110 in a 90 zone. I just had to smile. To do 110 before I had to be standing on the pedal with a tail wind and going downhill. I liked the 300, but for a lifted truck, I can sure see where the 351 comes in handy.

There is one bug to work out, the check enging light comes on when I get going for about 5 minutes on the hwy, but there is no illform performance from the engine, so I am thinking it might be an o2 sensor. It goes off after I stop the truck and restart.

The duals he threw on are awesome. They are not raspy like a glass pack, but nice and mellow when you hit the gas. It sounds really good.

I will get some clips and photos as soon as I can. I am a happy redneck
Old 05-24-2007, 11:44 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

loudfords has a good reputation on FTE.loudfords has a good reputation on FTE.
What brand of mufflers are they? I agree, 351s are awesome with dual exhaust.

Just curious, why are you running EFI without the MAF?

1979 F150 351W
2003 Explorer XLT
Old 05-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Post Fiend

96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of
oh no...another 'ole 300 forsook for the want of more displacement... the 351 will be much better suited for the highway though!!

2014 F350/6.7/4x4/CC/SWB/Lariat
Old 05-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Posting Guru

pud is starting off with a positive reputation.
heheheheh weeeeeeeee.......do you smell burnt rubber everywhere you go? lol
Old 05-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Posting Legend

preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
Sounds deadly, im glad you are happy with it too!

A good fist fight never hurts anyone... except my opponent.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudfords
What brand of mufflers are they? I agree, 351s are awesome with dual exhaust.

Just curious, why are you running EFI without the MAF?
I do not know what type of mufflers they are, but they look like an insulated type, not a flowthrough like a flowmaster. They actaually sound pretty good. If I remember I will crawl under there and look to see if there is a brand on them. As for the no MAF, apparently the 97 F350 came without MAF for some reason, which is really weird since my 96 300 was MAF. I was a little surprised to that it was MAF free, but I am not going to argue.

Ya, I do feel a little bad about leaving the old 300 behind, but when I drive it, I remember why. The 300 was a great motor. I hope this one will be as reliable, but I am not hard on stuff cause that costs $$$$. Except for the rubber I tore off the tire the other day just cause I could
Old 05-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Senior User

Flatdeck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Flatdeck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You could always just ask the mechanic what mufflers he used!
Greg :: PAA#55
1999.0 F-350 4x4 PSD SRW reg cab, auto, manual xfer case, Warn manual hubs, aluminum flatdeck, VB springs, Predator tuner, 6637, LT285/75R16E Duratracs, 2003 40/20/40, 2005 cupholder, 2005-07 front end, Sirius Starmate 3
Old 05-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Posting Legend

preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
Your 351 will sure be abit harder on fuel

Old 05-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Post Fiend

96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of
it should be very similar to the 300, maybe a little worse in town, but better on the highway. of course the metal masher foot ya got will have a huge affect on it...

Old 05-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Posting Legend

Im sure a 300 would get better mileage wouldnt it?

Old 05-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Post Fiend

hmmm...guess i shouldn't say for sure. i know mine got awesome mileage, but it was a 2wd with the 3.08 rear end. on the highway though, it was breathing hard to do 130+...not that i pushed it like that much!! i could see the 351 in the given truck(lifted, bigger rubber, etc) getting a bit better than the 300, but i shouldn't say for sure. i guess we'll have to wait to hear from the hunter.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Senior User

Flatdeck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Flatdeck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A bigger engine won't necessarily get worse mileage. Depending on the terrain, the smaller engine has to work a lot harder to get the job done, so your foot is always into it, while the larger engine is just taking it easy. That's especially noticeable when you're loaded up for a camping trip and you hit the mountain passes.
Greg :: PAA#55
1999.0 F-350 4x4 PSD SRW reg cab, auto, manual xfer case, Warn manual hubs, aluminum flatdeck, VB springs, Predator tuner, 6637, LT285/75R16E Duratracs, 2003 40/20/40, 2005 cupholder, 2005-07 front end, Sirius Starmate 3
Old 05-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Post Fiend

basically what i was suggesting...

Old 05-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Posting Legend

Ahh yeah I get what ya mean now.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Elder User

When I get a good reading I will let y'all know. From the short driving that I have been doing, I am going to expect that it will be close on the highwya. With the 300 I had to have wide open throttle almost all the time. With thi sbad boy, I am just touching the skinny pedal and she rolls at 100 clicks no prob. Before to keep it at 100 I had to have at least half throttle. But then that stupid smile comes on my face and the pedal seems to go down and the truck goes faster. What a neat concept.

I plan to take it on a trip at some point in the near future after all the bugs are worked out of it to really enjoy it on a longer haul. When I do I will see what I am getting for milage.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:08 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Canadian National Chapter > British Columbia