The Long Trip Home

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:57 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow The Long Trip Home (With Photos)

Hi,
Well, here are some photos from the first part of the trip bringing my truck home. I will complete this when Dan and I get my truck home. For more information about my truck's problems, click here.

I parked this across the road from my brother's home. He has a nice little 10 acre spread outside of Billings, MT.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the engine with the original oil bath air cleaner. I like the all-black engine.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here it is with the new Edelbrock air cleaner. I am not a Raider's fan, but I like the black and silver.

Here it is at my parents place. They have a 20 acre chunk of forest just south of Flathead Lake in Western Montana.

Leaving Montana, probably for the last time. This truck lived in Montana longer than me. I was there for 21 years, it was there for 31 years. This is at the top of Lost Trail Pass on Highway 93 going into Idaho.

This is in the middle of Idaho, about 40 miles north of Arco, on 93. This road is so beautiful. I had no idea my engine was going to destroy itself in 5 hours.

While I am sad about my truck's problems, I am excited to be rescueing it from being stuck in Elko. Once here, I am going to get the engine replaced. While waiting for the engine, I can start restoring it. It has a lot of rust under the floor boards, in the cab mounts and a few other places.

I want to thank everyone who has given me a lot of advice and great morale support when I was at my lowest. I look forward to the day when I can bring my truck to chapter meetings.

Last edited by fastmover; 05-24-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:05 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
You are not fooling us - you just want an excuse to return to Elko. What will you and Dan be doing there?

btw, Flathead Lake was my dad's favorite spot, and I lived in Arco back in the late 60's. We tested nuclear submarines in the Idaho desert.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
What goes on in Elko, stays in Elko.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:20 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Dang, you guy's can't even get the saying right

So when you two buy the "double-dribble" at the Mustang Ranch on the way home....

I want pictures!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 12:45 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
Dang, . . .I want pictures!!!
That is sick - you want a picture of Dan with his shirt off? That is just plain weird.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 PM
dumptech
Elder User
What year? What motor? Mine's a '70, originally with the 360 V8. Had it rebuilt to 390 since they use the same block and heads. A lot more giddyup for just a few extra $s.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:54 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Dumptech, it is a '70 also. His dad bought the truck new, and had problems with the engine while it was still under warranty. They thought it had been replaced by a 352. Year's later his brother owns it and gives it to Karl.

Karl had the engine rebuilt by a local shop. It is now a 390. I do not know if they used the original block, or found a different one. (the 352 can not be made into a 390, unlike the 360).

He starts to bring it home (to California) and something gives up in the valve train. It leaves him stranded in Elko, Nevada. Dan, our moderator and all around nice guy, is helping him bring it the rest of the way home. They will use Dan's '70 F250 and his 3 axle trailer. (Funny - your truck, Dans, and Karl's are all 1970 F250s. Must have been a good year!)

We are all waiting for him to get it home to see what happened. I hope he lets us do a post mortem, but he may just ship the engine to the guy that rebuilt it.

We used a 460 in the project truck - but I am more at home with the FEs (360/390). It is hard to document as Ford has played around with the horse power numbers for years, but the 460 has a lot more horses - they just like to drink the gas!

Old 05-24-2007, 03:35 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Clint, you summarized my story about perfectly. I will only add that it was a 360 block before rebuild and came out as a 390. I am open to letting anyone do a postmortem on it, but I am itching to get my truck running again with a fixed/replaced engine. Of course it will have a 390 in it again, just maybe not this one.
Dumptech, I really like the looks of the 1970 grille. It is very different from all the other bumpside years.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:04 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fastmover
Clint, you summarized my story about perfectly. . . .
OOPs, I thought you were off to Nevada or I would have let you answer for yourself.

Also, don't forget I have some 390 parts you are welcome to, if they will help.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:40 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
We will head out Saturday. Thanks for the parts offer. I may need them.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
You guys be safe out there. I hope everything goes well and without incident.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:09 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A small correction Clint...mine's a '68, not a '70. I sure wish I had the Cummins in it for this trip though...

Old 05-25-2007, 08:44 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Hmmn, working on a Ford to head out and tow a Ford home....

You guys want me to fire up the Chevy to drag ya'll back?

You guys drive careful, probably going to be a busy weekend on the roads.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:29 AM
dumptech
Elder User
My mechanic here in Ventura did a bang up job on mine. He knew we were going to be hauling around a big camper so he took extra care with my motor. There's a photo of my truck and camper in my gallery. I can refer you if you want. Do we need to take up a collection or have a bake sale to get your truck home?

Old 05-25-2007, 10:44 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Bake Sale?????????? Set out a plate of cookies around this crew and they will gobble them down long before you can sell them.

Quick Reply: The Long Trip Home