Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford, Chevy or Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Vmax2007
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Are you sure? By the sounds of things GMC is going to take over the world with their super truck you bought.

Must be the GMC Fanboy coming out this morning......

Not to worry, I googled it and came up with nothing.
Have I knocked Ford? FYI, I am almost as big a Ford fan as I am GMC, they are BY FAR the best 2 truck builders in the world, that is MY OPINION, you are entitled to your own.

Ford F150 may lose it's sales crown, but when the 09 F150 hits the streets, I am guessing they will get it right back, which is perfectly fine with me.

I will find you a good info link on Piston Slap since you obviously don't know how to reseach a topic. hang tight...

Old 06-06-2007, 08:14 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
WOW!
I go away for a little bit and you guys go at it. So let me first start by saying I had the opportunity to drive all 3 brands – Ford, Chevy and Toyota. The Toyota was the only ½ ton I looked at. Both Ford and Chevy I looked at diesel options. It’s a very capable truck from what I could tell and was a serious contender for my ‘purse-strings’. Really liked the Crew Max as did my wife. Screaming motor, nice ride, lots of room in the back. What it came down to was the motor and transmission are unproven (in the end that’s why I didn’t select the Ford with the 6.4 either). It’s not to say they are bad – only time will tell. The interior fit & finish isn’t up to par with either Ford or Chevy. Chevy had a superior transmission, engine, locking differential and many other things that when looked at individually were superior to the Toyota. 1 could ague ‘well of course the Chevy or Ford has all that stuff – it’s a ¾ ton and not and an apples to apples comparison’ But from what I can that’s how Toyota is pricing their ½ ton. So even though the sticker on the Chevy I just got – very nicely equipped LT trim package with the D/A - was close to $50k I got $9k in rebates (granted $2k was from GM card) and 0% financing. So for a few grand more I upgraded from an apple to an orange. The Toyota and Chevy dealer were going to give about an identical amount for my 03 D/A trade. I’ve had some accessories put on it the last couple days so I’ll post some pic’s when I get’er back today.

Vmax – that’s a sharp ride you got there. I’ve always liked the GMC appearance more then Chevy’s. The problem I have is that the Chevy dealer in my area is a volume dealer and always has significantly better rebates and pricing. I have a close friend who has the 6.0 in his ¾ ton Chevy and uses it for pulling his toy hauler – very capable motor.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:37 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Vmax2007
Have I knocked Ford? FYI, I am almost as big a Ford fan as I am GMC, they are BY FAR the best 2 truck builders in the world, that is MY OPINION, you are entitled to your own.

Ford F150 may lose it's sales crown, but when the 09 F150 hits the streets, I am guessing they will get it right back, which is perfectly fine with me.
Did I mention Ford at all at anytime in any of my posts? Why do you keep "spinning" things as you stated numerous times before. I'm a Ford fan also believe it or not, I just don't go to the extent of my "fanboyism" as others.

I will agree with you ( wow, did I just type that? ) in 09 Ford should be back with avengance with new F-150.

I will find you a good info link on Piston Slap since you obviously don't know how to reseach a topic. hang tight...
Are you just seriously looking for things to do? Did I mention piston slap as an issue in any of my posts?

Research it till to cows come home for all I care. All of the "big 3" have had the piston slap issue so who cares? Oh wait, probably not GMC or Chevy, that's unpossible.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Vmax2007
Senior User
Did I mention Ford at all at anytime in any of my posts? Why do you keep "spinning" things as you stated numerous times before. I'm a Ford fan also believe it or not, I just don't go to the extent of my "fanboyism" as others.

I will agree with you ( wow, did I just type that? ) in 09 Ford should be back with avengance with new F-150.

Are you just seriously looking for things to do? Did I mention piston slap as an issue in any of my posts?

Research it till to cows come home for all I care. All of the "big 3" have had the piston slap issue so who cares? Oh wait, probably not GMC or Chevy, that's unpossible.
Unpossible? Is that a word? and FYI, Toyota also has had it.

Here is a link in case your interested:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/020320.htm

EDIT:

Oh, sorry, i got you mixed up with DOHCMarauder regarding Piston Slap...My bad. I hereby redirect all of this Piston Slap info to you Marauder.

Last edited by Vmax2007; 06-06-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
WOW!
I go away for a little bit and you guys go at it. So let me first start by saying I had the opportunity to drive all 3 brands – Ford, Chevy and Toyota. The Toyota was the only ½ ton I looked at. Both Ford and Chevy I looked at diesel options. It’s a very capable truck from what I could tell and was a serious contender for my ‘purse-strings’. Really liked the Crew Max as did my wife. Screaming motor, nice ride, lots of room in the back. What it came down to was the motor and transmission are unproven (in the end that’s why I didn’t select the Ford with the 6.4 either). It’s not to say they are bad – only time will tell. The interior fit & finish isn’t up to par with either Ford or Chevy. Chevy had a superior transmission, engine, locking differential and many other things that when looked at individually were superior to the Toyota. 1 could ague ‘well of course the Chevy or Ford has all that stuff – it’s a ¾ ton and not and an apples to apples comparison’ But from what I can that’s how Toyota is pricing their ½ ton. So even though the sticker on the Chevy I just got – very nicely equipped LT trim package with the D/A - was close to $50k I got $9k in rebates (granted $2k was from GM card) and 0% financing. So for a few grand more I upgraded from an apple to an orange. The Toyota and Chevy dealer were going to give about an identical amount for my 03 D/A trade. I’ve had some accessories put on it the last couple days so I’ll post some pic’s when I get’er back today.
And here in lies my problem DMAX, you choose the best truck suited to your needs with no apprent second agenda. ( aka "buy American" ) and report your opinions and findings in a suitable matter. You never once in this thread reference anything about any other make as a POS.

I can respect that alot more than someone who posts in here slamming something they did some research on the internet about and have no real experience to back anything up.

I realize everyone has a right to their opinion but it's usually the same people who get their p**ties in a wad everytime someone differs in their opinion/agenda.

Good job again on the comparisons and be sure to post some pics of the new rig.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Unpossible? Is that a word? and FYI, Toyota also has had it.

Here is a link in case your interested:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/020320.htm

EDIT:

Oh, sorry, i got you mixed up with DOHCMarauder regarding Piston Slap...My bad. I hereby redirect all of this Piston Slap info to you Marauder.
Come on now, Toyota never did, they are perfect. You should know never to trust anything written in Canada.

Unpossible, I don't think it's a word. I'm just quoting Ralph Wiggem.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Vmax2007
Senior User
And here in lies my problem DMAX, you choose the best truck suited to your needs with no apprent second agenda. ( aka "buy American" ) and report your opinions and findings in a suitable matter. You never once in this thread reference anything about any other make as a POS.

I can respect that alot more than someone who posts in here slamming something they did some research on the internet about and have no real experience to back anything up.

I realize everyone has a right to their opinion but it's usually the same people who get their p**ties in a wad everytime someone differs in their opinion/agenda.

Good job again on the comparisons and be sure to post some pics of the new rig.
Oh...ouch!!!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Vmax2007
Senior User
WOW!

Vmax – that’s a sharp ride you got there. I’ve always liked the GMC appearance more then Chevy’s. The problem I have is that the Chevy dealer in my area is a volume dealer and always has significantly better rebates and pricing. I have a close friend who has the 6.0 in his ¾ ton Chevy and uses it for pulling his toy hauler – very capable motor.
Thanks! post some pics of your Chevy soon.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:18 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
sure wish VW would come back with their ol' diesel pu "sigh" just kiddin,.
Toyota's one year of good sells does not make for a proven truck trend
so when all the dust clears FORD even chevy and dodge will be the clear
winner as they have proven this time and again for the last 30 years.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Bent frames when the "Truck" was introduced was real......it is almost 8+years ago, doubt I'll find anything now. Don't need to google piston slap, some did it, some did not. I have built enough motors and been around them long enough to know when there is a quality control problem concerning clearances. Dang GM apologists.

Let's not forget the "soak" to temporarily cure the constant pinging....

The Toy has a 10'5" ring and pinion compared to your 9.5"......I guess like the Toy frame, we'll have to wait and see if it really is an advantage or not. (or does your logic only work one way)

Not too bright concerning brakes; are we??? Stopping distance is a very SMALL part of the total equation.....I should just tell you to google it. But repeated stops, resistence to warpage, longevity are all important.....Again, when shown an advantage, you downplay it as no big thang. I'm sure you'll bring up frames again before it's all over.

As far as the crash tests, they make no difference to me regardless. After all, I owned a 150 MPH truck that supposedly did poorly in that test.....I'm not defending Toy, just saying it's no big deal.

Buying "American" is so noble.....maybe have GM give it a try. BTW, Dodge hasn't been American in quite awhile.

What's funny is I think it was your last paragraph in one of your posts about Toyota spurring on the Domestics to build a better vehicle............considering that's all I've ever wanted (maybe do one of your famous searches) concerning Ford, I guess we can agree on sumpin'

Old 06-06-2007, 11:28 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
WOW!

How in the world did you come up with "superior engine and transmission"???

Locking diffs are cool but like our esteemed ME would say, "do a search" on Eaton .....they are some weak **** units. rather install an aftermarket locker (ARB comes to mind)

Old 06-06-2007, 11:32 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Read the post - I'm comparing a Duramax and Allison transmission to Toyotas offering.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:45 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by NumberDummy
I guess mebbe I oughtta watch other channels besides the: History; History International; Military; TCM; C-Span 2 and 3; and PBS. Oh, and they don't play Ozzie on 91.5 classical music station KUSC, either. I wouldn't know Ozzie Osbourne from Ozzie Nelson. But I do know who the Three B's and "The Five" are in Classical Music History, do you?

What the heck is an ME? I'm married to a PE, and she has an MBA, two MS's, and a BS.

Yes, you should get out more.....

And EVERYONE knows the 3 B's were Bonilla, Bonds, (crap, I forget the 3rd B)

They played baseball, not classical music.....

Old 06-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Vmax2007
Senior User
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
Bent frames when the "Truck" was introduced was real......it is almost 8+years ago, doubt I'll find anything now. Don't need to google piston slap, some did it, some did not. I have built enough motors and been around them long enough to know when there is a quality control problem concerning clearances. Dang GM apologists.

Bottomline is that Piston Slap has not caused any real damage in any of the brands it has been known in, even the Toyota's. It's simply an annoyance, nothing more.

Let's not forget the "soak" to temporarily cure the constant pinging....huh?

The Toy has a 10'5" ring and pinion compared to your 9.5"......I guess like the Toy frame, we'll have to wait and see if it really is an advantage or not. (or does your logic only work one way)

10 foot 5 inches huh? Wow, that must be one big a$$ rear pumpkin, no wonder the payload is so low, that thing must weigh a ton!!! LOL (little joke to lighten you up). Again, the frame is much more than a structural piece of steel, it's design influences alot of performance (Ride, handling, cost, tolerances, etc). the ring gear has one purpose, to transmit power without breaking..period. A 10.5" ring gear also has alot more inertia, thereby robbing rwhp. but that shouldn't be an issue with 381 fwhp, so no biggie there. I am not rippin gthe 10.5" ring gear, but it is only an advantage if the extra size is needed, which it may very well be in the Tundra, I don't know, I assume the engineers thought so. just as I assume the engineers thought the HD 9.5" ring gear was needed (and sufficient) in the 6.0 GMs. If neither truck has issues with their rear-ends, then this is a non-issue, time will tell. You can think the frame design is also a non-issue if you choose and it makes you feel better, but I know I have a better frame and the improved performance that it provides, let's leave it at that,ok?

Not too bright concerning brakes; are we??? Stopping distance is a very SMALL part of the total equation.....I should just tell you to google it. But repeated stops, resistence to warpage, longevity are all important.....Again, when shown an advantage, you downplay it as no big thang. I'm sure you'll bring up frames again before it's all over.

Hmm a Toyoyo loyalist bragging about brakes huh? Interesting, you should know about brake issues I guess, toyoyo has had their share of them. I am still waiting for a good (or ANY) reason why the Tundra, with it's "BIG" brakes requires (for warrtanty) any trailer weighing over 1000 lbs to have it's own brake system. "When shown an advantage"? Where did you show me an advantage?

As far as the crash tests, they make no difference to me regardless. After all, I owned a 150 MPH truck that supposedly did poorly in that test.....I'm not defending Toy, just saying it's no big deal.

I will agree here, the only reason I bring it up is when a Toyoyo Fanboy brags about safety. The Tundra is no safer than any other comparably equipped truck.

Buying "American" is so noble.....maybe have GM give it a try. BTW, Dodge hasn't been American in quite awhile.

More "Spin".. GM contains 76% Domestic content, Toyota (as a whole) contains 48% on average. Dodge is still American based on this...read on..

Toyota will be American when.......

1. When revenues and profits aren't reflected in yen or some other none USD currency.
2. When the stock is listed on the NYSE as domestic.
3. When the company employs more Americans than non-Americans.
4. When the bulk of company structure is within the shores of the US.
5. When the company headquarters resides within the shores of the US.
6. When the bulk of the company partnerships and relationships heavily reside within the shores of the US.
7. When the company contributes more to the GNP than American equivalents.
8. When the company produces substantially more cars in the US than they import.

9. When the company meets the above criteria, then the company can be considered good for America and Americans.

Till then it's a token effort at best and an attempt to shroud and cloud the less informed that these companies have magically become American and are somehow great for our future and well being.

What's funny is I think it was your last paragraph in one of your posts about Toyota spurring on the Domestics to build a better vehicle............considering that's all I've ever wanted (maybe do one of your famous searches) concerning Ford, I guess we can agree on sumpin'
All competition helps, both foreign and Domestic. We all benefit from it.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:52 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Read the post - I'm comparing a Duramax and Allison transmission to Toyotas offering.

"Superior" is such a strong word......and yes, I think the Dmax/Allison is the best DIESEL powertrain out there.

It's just that ripping silk sound of a DOHC 4 valve V8.........

Quick Reply: Ford, Chevy or Toyota