1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Keyless Entry Keypad Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Greg2561
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Keyless Entry Keypad Install

NEED HELP!!!

I have a 2006 Expedition XLT. It did not come with the keyless entry keypad, only the remotes. I have a card in my truck with the factory set security code, and the VSM under the right front of the dash has the same code on it. I bought the keypad at the dealership for $70. It is a complete weatherstripping with the keypad and wiring harness built in. After taking the door and old stripping off, I noticed that it was ready to except the new piece in every way. The holes to hold the wiring harness were already there and the plug was there. I hooked everything up but nothing, not even the keypad lights come on. I checked the voltage coming out of the plug that was already installed and it has power. I figured it just had to be activated in the Vehicle Security Module (VSM) so I went back to my service advisor and he took it back to the computer guy. They told me I need to buy a new VSM that has the keyless entry keypad function enabled. I checked with parts and they had the VSM in stock for $140. I don't understand why the VSM I have would have a keyless keypad code on it, if it is not capable of operating the keyless entry keypad. The parts guy said they only showed one type of VSM in the computer. Not one with keypad and remotes, and one with just remotesand no keypad. So it's not like they sell any other type of VSM. Any suggestions would be great! This is driving me nuts!!!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 AM
jhva
Junior User
Key pad

You might try unhooking the battery for 15 minutes and see if it is recognized when hooked back up

Old 05-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Greg2561
New User
I tried that with no luck either.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Frankie 2 Times
Freshman User
Not certain, but what most likely happens is all themoduels are shipped tot he assembly plants with the codes assigned. Thats simple. But when it is installed, it probalby get cade flashed to accept or not accept the kepypad. If it does not have a keypad, it is not "safe" for software and electronics to have open connections with no signals or nothing connected. It introduces opportunities for fals signals, EMI issues and potential faults. So it was probably deactivated in software so that it would not leave an open, unidentifed signal.

The replacement modules are probalby all set for the keypad since who would replace themodule other than someone with a keypad. There is a slight chance that it could be flashed at the dealer, but since their guys is telling you to replce the module. Wither they can't or they want to sell a module. The computer guy in back would care less if you bought a module or not, so most likely they are not programmable at the dealer.

By the way, I need to replace my weather stripping for my 03 EXP around the keypad. How did you get it off/on?

Frank

Last edited by Frankie 2 Times; 05-29-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:13 PM
cougarmandan
Freshman User
I was wondering how this turned out. I was wanting to add the keypad to my 06 as well and I was curious if you got it to work. I was also curious how the weatherstrip comes off. I see an 07 weatherstrip listed on ebay, but they squared them up in o7 so I'm not sure if its the same. Anyone know?

Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Greg2561
New User
Keyless Entry Keypad

Well, it looks nice on my truck, but does not function. I just kinda dropped the whole thing after looking for a new ESM at over $200. I did not feel confident that the tech at the dealer really knew what he was talking about because of the way he answered my questions. He didn't give me direct answers like you must do this for that to work. It was more like, I think you need a new one of these to make it work. Since it is impossible to install a new ESM without the dealer, I figured it was a big risk to pay the $200+ for the ESM and pay the dealer to install it, which they estimated to be another $200 or so. If the keypad still didn't work, I was out the $400+ with no other options. The good, kinda good, news is that they now have a keyless keypad for the 06 expedition at the dealer that you just stick onto the outside of the door. I think it runs about $100 and you can program and install it yourself. The bad side is, it does not look so great, especially in my case when I have a keypad on there now!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:48 AM
cougarmandan
Freshman User
Well, I was wanting that clean factory look. I have seen the stick on keypads and not impressed with the look. I saw a used door lock module on ebay for $40 and was thinking of trying it. If by some strang chance that I'm right, programing would just involve programing the key fobs to work with it. That isn't difficult, and doesn't require any special tools. Worst case scenario is I'm out $100 for the parts and then I can always put it back and re-bay the parts.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Greg2561
New User
How would the door lock module help you? You should already have power door locks, right? Did you mean a keyless entry keypad?

My brand new keyless keypad has no power or anything. It won't even light up. I tested the wiring and there is power to the harness. Beyond that it's a mystery.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:11 AM
cougarmandan
Freshman User
By door lock module, I am talking about the VSM (vehicle security module) which according to what I have read, controls the special functions on the door locks like the keypad. I didn't know if you got yours to work. With a cheap on on ebay, I thought I might pick it up and see if I can find a used keypad/moulding get it to work. Want to sell yours? I have all the factory wiring diagrams book and think I can make it work if it isn't plug and play.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:54 PM
JLMoreno911
Senior User
I was thinking of doing that to my 05, since my alarm will auto lock in 30seconds...my wife got locked out by it already and I had to get out of work to open the door for her...I can always de-activate the feature on the alarm, but I think it is better to have it on than off...
so its almost been a year, any luck getting it to work????