Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas siphoning deterrents

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:48 AM
RichardW
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas siphoning deterrents

Information has come down my street that somebody has been seen siphoning gas in the wee hours of the night. I heard some car manufacturers install devices to deter siphoning. I was wandering if my 95 F-150 would have something like this or do I need to get a locking gas cap.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:58 AM
92F150Flare
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum

I have no idea about manufacturers deterrents........probly none in a 95 (gas wasn't so expensive back then)

I'd get a locking gas cap and BIGGGG mean dog that knows how to fire a birdshot filled shotgun to sleep in the bed........

Good Luck

Old 05-21-2007, 12:01 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Not sure about the anti-syphoning divice, but your comment reminds me of a good story.
A buddy of mine was having his 5 gallon gas can emptied by some unwanted individual. He kept the can in his barn for his old farmal tractor. It was the only gas tractor he owned and he didn't use it much, so he just bought gas for it 5 gallons at a time. After calling the police a number of times, he came up with a plan to catch them. He took the can and put 4 gallons of diesel fuel in it, then he topped it off with a gallon of gas to give it the gas smell. A few days later his can was emptied by the said unwanted individual. He called the police and they said there wasn't anything they could do without any eye witness to the event. However, later that day, he saw some neighborhood boys driving around a car that was smoking really bad and smelling like diesel smoke. That ended his problem, and probably the kids an engine.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:02 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
fill one tank with chlorinated water, and put a locking gas cap on the other tank with gas. never use the chlorinated water tank

and let the losers siphon from it.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:38 PM
RichardW
New User
Have the short bed 4X4 with only the one tank. I like the idea though, I love it when you can get back at these lazy you no whats. I'll just go get a locking gas cap. I hate the idea of more keys to fumble with, but gas is to expensive these days even if its just a gallon or two.

By the way 92F150Flare. I like the name of the town your from. I own property at a place here in Missouri called Goose Creek Lake about 40 miles south of St. Louis

Old 05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
wintremute
Elder User
You could wire a normally-closed 12v momentary switch under the gas flap, run it to a toggle switch in the cab and then on to the horn and battery. If the fuel door is opened while the toggle switch is on, the horn will blow.

Just a crazy thought. Would cost about $3.00 at radio shack.
You could even get a toggle with a red LED on it so that (1) you can see if it's on or off at night and (2) it might look like an alarm system from outside.
>

Last edited by wintremute; 05-21-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Not sure about the anti-syphoning divice, but your comment reminds me of a good story.
A buddy of mine was having his 5 gallon gas can emptied by some unwanted individual. He kept the can in his barn for his old farmal tractor. It was the only gas tractor he owned and he didn't use it much, so he just bought gas for it 5 gallons at a time. After calling the police a number of times, he came up with a plan to catch them. He took the can and put 4 gallons of diesel fuel in it, then he topped it off with a gallon of gas to give it the gas smell. A few days later his can was emptied by the said unwanted individual. He called the police and they said there wasn't anything they could do without any eye witness to the event. However, later that day, he saw some neighborhood boys driving around a car that was smoking really bad and smelling like diesel smoke. That ended his problem, and probably the kids an engine.
AWESOME!!! I FRICKIN LOVE IT!! THAT LITTLE TURD DESERVED EVERY BIT OF THAT.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wintremute
You could wire a normally-closed 12v momentary switch under the gas flap, run it to a toggle switch in the cab and then on to the horn and battery. If the fuel door is opened while the toggle switch is on, the horn will blow.

Just a crazy thought. Would cost about $3.00 at radio shack.
You could even get a toggle with a red LED on it so that (1) you can see if it's on or off at night and (2) it might look like an alarm system from outside.
>
That is also a really good idea... But how could you affix a switch to the back of the fuel door? Does the filler neck come out?

-Chris

Last edited by Skandocious; 05-21-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:36 PM
wintremute
Elder User
You'd have to mount a piece of plate or something parallel under the door for the switch to mount to so that the door would push the button open.

Hell, now I'm considering it!

Old 05-21-2007, 03:42 PM
peppersfords
Mountain Pass
Do you really want to run any type of electric near your gas filler neck? Not that it would happen but even the smallest little spark and....

Old 05-21-2007, 04:02 PM
stngh8r
Senior User
Smile

Originally Posted by peppersfords
Do you really want to run any type of electric near your gas filler neck? Not that it would happen but even the smallest little spark and....
I had similar thoughts.

Locking gas cap and just keep the key inside the truck?

Old 05-21-2007, 04:11 PM
RichardW
New User
I would pay a millon bucks to catch this looser in the act but even a very low voltage spark anywhere near gas fumes does not sound like a good idea to me. Besides, knowing me I will forget to flip the off switch when I re-fuel and scare the Cra% out of the lady the next stall over. So I think I will pass on that idea. I do like the idea of the blinking LED to look like I have an alarm system. I thought of that a while back just never done anyting about it.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:12 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a locking gas cap is the easy answer.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:14 PM
peppersfords
Mountain Pass
although .....if you had a truck/vehicle to waste, that might be a very funny..I mean terrible way...to get rid of thge people that are doing this!

Old 05-21-2007, 04:17 PM
tomtoc
Posting Guru
while you've got the spark and the gasoline there you could make some sort of sparking device to come out near the fenders like a flamethrower. i can see anything that would go wrong there.

honestly though, it would suck to lose gas, but until it's happened to me, even if it's happened to my neighbor i don't think i would worry about it until it happened to me

edit: like this, just out the side near the tank
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OzIcsDxUOJo

Quick Reply: Gas siphoning deterrents