1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

CCV Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Suber
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CCV Mod

I have a question for all those that have done this mod. I have my ccv apart right now for a cleaning and thought I would do this mod while it is all apart. My questions are what did any of you use to plug the hole that is left on the intake pipe to the turbo, where the hose elbow originally was located? Second is there anything that goes on the end of your new 5/8 hose running down the backside? Any help would be appreciated, Mike.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:29 PM
10bands
Senior User
Old 05-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Suber
Elder User
I see now! The 4 inch piece of exhaust pipe acts as a splice covering the inside of the inlet. This makes more sense now to me. I guess I need to go track down some exhaust pipe tommorrow! Thanks

Sadly, I only bought 5 feet of heater hose this evening thinking it would be more than enough.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Suber
Elder User
Wrong again, I see after closer study that the whole piece is removed entirely. I guess you dont need the support bracket mounting holes on the section that is removed?

Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Aljay
New User
I used a 4" piece of muffler tubing and the stock accordian tube over to my tymar knock off.I have another piece of 4" in between the filter and the stock acc. tube. of coarse if I was not a tight wad I would just buy the tymar kit but I must built my own stuff.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:04 AM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
I left the elbow in, and took a small piece of 14 guage steel cut and grinded it to fit the bottom of the elbow, then drilled a hole in it and used the original screw to put it in place. A little silicone and I had a patch.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have the updated black hose coming off the turbo then you can just use a piece of 4" pipe like in the pics 10bands gave you. but if you have the orange tube then you need to just plug the hole. If it were me I would cut the protrusion out of the intake flow then use a pipe plug or something that will thread up in there with some jb weld or similar glue/sealer

Old 05-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Suber
Elder User
I do in fact have the newer intake on my truck, so I am thinking a patch would be a lot easier than driving around to muffler places and begging them to sell me a short piece of 4inch pipe.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Suber
Elder User
The mod is done, and working perfectly! I would recommend to anyone who is going to do this to go to Ford and get TWO new seals that go between the CCV and the valve cover. They are dirt cheap and much better material than the original batch. Mine were completely shot.

For anyone interested, I found a cool little breather filter that fits perfectly on the end of the 5/8 inch heater hose. I got it at Auto Zone for 9.99. If you pull the rubber flange off of the filter, the 5/8 hose fits perfectly into the opening with good snugness so that it wont fall off. I topped it off with a light bead of silicone around the edge to make sure it stays put.

The filter part number is 3996 made by Spectre. You can find them in the air intake section at Auto Zone, works PERFECTLY!

Old 05-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stupid question....Why get two?

Old 05-21-2007, 03:34 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Two o-rings? Cause there are two hole to seals. I wish I had remembered to give you this info before you bought those o-rings but all the ford ones are junk. Who makes o-rings that seal oil but they don't stand up to oil???? Round o-rings from the hardware store are much cheaper and will be reusable. The ford ones won't be reuseable unless its with in the next week or so. I think I used 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 but its been a while. best thing to do is take the housing to the store and match them up. Sorry its too late for you but hopefully I can save someone else the trouble!

Old 05-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Oh I didn't know it had two O rings. I haven't done this mod yet.

Tim, you mentioned you were going to tap yours into the exhaust. Where would you do that? I have a threaded plug at the top of my DP that would be perfect but I would imagine that there would be too much pressure from the exhaust at that point. Should it be tied in further down the pipes.

BTW you did save me from going to FORD. Thanx.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Suber
Elder User
No problem at all! I think they must have changed material, cause the old o-rings were CRAP whereas the new ones I bought are made out of the same material that the oil galley plugs have. I think these will last a while at least until I have to clean the CCV again.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I do plan to plumb it into my exhuast and you are correct that the bung on the down pipe would not be a good spot. I plan to go just behind the transfer case area to put mine in. I need to do mine very soon cause I am sick of the vapor coming into my truck all the time.

Also glad I could save you the trip to the stealer! The two screws on the housing are centered in the two holes. There are also very small o-rings at the top of the screws so you might look into replacing those also. happy Modding!!!

Old 05-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Cool thanks for the foresight. When you do this don't you need a check valve or one way valve?

Quick Reply: CCV Mod