6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 f250 sc Broke down 3rd time

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:16 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel Man
And there you have it folks. One more reason not to buy a new truck with a new engine design until after the 3rd year.
There are a couple of problems with that logic(?).
1.Some people buy a new truck because they need one, not just because they want one. In most, if not all cases, that need requirement will need to be satisfied in less than 3 years. So waiting 3 years is not a viable option.
2. If nobody buys a new truck with a new engine design there will not be a 3rd year.
3. If the % of people reporting problems on this forum correlates to the % of people having problems nationwide then so far the new design is a huge success.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:35 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^^^^^ this guys got it down! ^^^^^^^

Cowboy Steve

Old 05-23-2007, 08:21 PM
teamwizard
Senior User
I think the problem with the 6.0 is that they are overtuned with power for Ford trucks. The detuned 6.0 in International medium size trucks are strong and reliable. This is coming from the mouths of International mechanics. My cousin is a mechanic at International. I talk to that gang all the time. As for the 6.4, give it a chance, everyone knows that with any new design engine or whatever bugs are gonna have to be worked out. Out of the probably thousands and thousands 6.4s out on the road already some are having minor problems. thats inevitable. Out of the hundreds of thousands 6.0s out there some had problems but I guarantee you it was probably a small amount compared to how many were sold and didnt have problems. The 6.4--everyone knows it a new engine you might get one that has some defects you might not, if you dont wanna take the chance then dont buy one yet...that way you wont have to complain.
As for 13mpg on a 9000lb truck, heck thats not bad. Think of how big that truck is and all the interior room and the bed and how comfortable it is. Compare that to a little civic--small, cant tow anything, cant carry anything, but it will get ya 25mpg. you want extraordinary mpg get a compact car or suv. The more mile on a diesel the better it will run, and the better fuel economy it will get. People want a miracle truck---a huge 4 door long bed that will last 100yrs and get 60mpg---this is reality not the movies.

2008 F350 Crewcab 4x4 dually 6.4 ordered today---may 23---------I cant wait!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:42 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by teamwizard
I think the problem with the 6.0 is that they are overtuned with power for Ford trucks. The detuned 6.0 in International medium size trucks are strong and reliable.
The trouble I have with that logic is International had them cranked all the way up to 660 ftlbs torque in their trucks, far more than Ford.
I know of at least one International truck with a VT365 that was bought back so things were not all rosy on their side either.

It wasn't just VT365/6.0s that had some turbo issues either, our 2004 DT466 had to have its variable pitch turbo replaced at 12,000 under warranty, after that no problems. And our 2006 DT466 just had the turbo actuator replaced at 8,000 miles.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:02 PM
4xFordFreak
Senior User
We have asked for the Ford dealership to buy back the truck due to the fact they cannot repair it. I live in georgia and the truck is broke down in south carolina. The truck we be replaced with a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD with the DURAMAX. With the business that I work in we cannot afford for tthe truck to breakdown when we leave for a recovery. looks like I will be driving to the Ford dealership with a chevy to pickup the trailer and equipment.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:17 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
make sure there a ford tow truck with a 6.0 to pull that bowtie the rest of the way home, they cant pull much less stop no where near the payload. you might want to try another dealer before you get rid of the truck.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:20 PM
teamwizard
Senior User
-----The trouble I have with that logic is International had them cranked all the way up to 660 ftlbs torque in their trucks, far more than Ford. -----
I never heard or read about a 6.0 in a medium truck having more power then a a 6.0 in a Superduty. Just look at the 6.0 that you can get in a F650----has less power.

So you have heard of atleast one 6.0, and one dt466 that had problems, out of the hundreds of thousands that are out there that didnt have any problems. big woop! whats your point. because out of every 10,000 engines 100 have some problems its makes it a bad engine? There is no logic to that.

gabe

Last edited by teamwizard; 05-23-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:26 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
"The truck we be replaced with a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD with the DURAMAX. With the business that I work in we cannot afford for tthe truck to breakdown when we leave for a recovery."

The way you spelled that all out tells me you want every one to know it. Hope it works out for you. I hope you will post if you find the Chevy to be less desireable.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 PM
teamwizard
Senior User
Oh the Duracrap!!!!!!! I remember one day one of my buddys was stuck with his jeep liberty in a sand dune so he called me, i was with my brother at the time who owns a 2001 F250 Powerstroke. When we arrived there was a brand new DURACRAP trying to pull him out...could move him but like 2 feet with every yank. Chained my bro's truck to it pulled him out effortlessly. I never laughed so much, as we drove by the Duracrap towing the jeep out!

POWERSTROKIN IT BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:43 PM
4xFordFreak
Senior User
I am a DIE HARD Ford Guy and I will let everyone know how it stacks up to the other 2008 F250 PSD that we have. This is the second dealer we have had the truck at. The other truck was at the dealer when it had around 2500 miles on it because it had a turbo fire under the hood. Improper oring installation on a fuel line.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:47 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
-----The trouble I have with that logic is International had them cranked all the way up to 660 ftlbs torque in their trucks, far more than Ford. -----
I never heard or read about a 6.0 in a medium truck having more power then a a 6.0 in a Superduty. Just look at the 6.0 that you can get in a F650----has less power.
It may be Ford did not choose to offer the 660 ft.lb. version in their F650s. Ford has 3 engines from 3 differant companies available in their F650 so they may have seen the need to offer all the ratings or Navistar didn't want to sell it to them.
International on the other hand only had the VT365/6.0 Powerstroke as their lower cost engine and the more expensive DT466, they may have felt the need to offer the 660 ft lb. engine to make themselves better competively as far as pricing.
Really you are partially correct, Ford had the 6.0 in their Super Dutys rated for higher horsepower at higher rpms but most of the engines used in International trucks were rated at higher torque at lower rpms, in fact at the lower ratings their peak torque was actually more at a lower rpm than the B-series Cummins, the secret there was the variable pitch turbo or abscense thereof on the lower rating B-series Cummins.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:52 PM
teamwizard
Senior User
All messing aside...I understand that a business needs results. So if you think you will prosper better with the Duramax at this point. I hope it works out for ya man. Good luck with everything. hopefully everything will work out for the best. Keep us posted on what you do and how the Duramax does.
Gabe

Old 05-23-2007, 10:10 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
So you have heard of atleast one 6.0, and one dt466 that had problems, out of the hundreds of thousands that are out there that didnt have any problems. big woop! whats your point. because out of every 10,000 engines 100 have some problems its makes it a bad engine? There is no logic to that.

gabe
There is no logic because you missed my point.
Someone said the 6.0 in Ford's was far more troublesome than it was in Internationals, which likely is true but the implication was International had virtually no problems when in fact they have had some and have bought at least one truck back that I am personally aware of.
And I brought up the DT466 turbo issue becuase it also is frequently implied on here that the 6.0s have frequent turbo issues because of the variable pitch turbine when in fact the problem was not just on the 6.0s, but even on the worshipped DT466 of which I have a few..
My point was not that either engine was bad but rather that there are some misconceptions.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:38 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by 4xFordFreak
We have asked for the Ford dealership to buy back the truck due to the fact they cannot repair it. I live in georgia and the truck is broke down in south carolina. The truck we be replaced with a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD with the DURAMAX. With the business that I work in we cannot afford for tthe truck to breakdown when we leave for a recovery. looks like I will be driving to the Ford dealership with a chevy to pickup the trailer and equipment.
Well then, there always is a silver lining, now isn't there?! So now you can spend your time over on the diesel place, telling them what a "die hard" Ford guy you are, and how dissapointed you are in how much your bosses expensive truck with the sissy suspension sags!

keep your bronco and ranger at the ready, as you will need them to carry the weight that dmax won't be able to...

Old 05-24-2007, 12:39 AM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Boo 6.slow!!!!

Cowboy Steve

Quick Reply: 2008 f250 sc Broke down 3rd time