Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at F250's with 460.....not much luck so far

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Tony1790
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4day
Be patient, happy hunting tony

Bob
Thanks,

I'm about out of time, I have to leave pulling my TT behind me next friday going from WA to MO for a new job. No hurry though, I was just wanting to get an older truck to free up some money to buy a Hog for this summer.

Thanks all,

Tony

Old 05-23-2007, 01:01 AM
bustedflush
Junior User
look at craigslist in seattle. I found a nice 91 f250 w/460 for 3200- lots of miles though - still runs strong. ther were several in your price range.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Tony1790
Senior User
Well I found a truck and bought it, hopefully I didnt do too bad.

It's a 94 F250 supercab 4x4 auto with 460 long bed XLT with a canopy, original owner who factory ordered it, 4.10 gears, etc. 116k miles, cost me $4500.

The previous owner did no towing, does not even have a tow hitch on it, the tranny shifts smooth as silk and it drives out nice. It feels like I got a pretty good deal. Now I have to sell my 2006 V10 and go buy me a Harley.

Tony

Old 05-28-2007, 05:25 AM
mgraveman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
that's a nice price for a clean truck.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Could I ask why you are not also looking for the same truck with the Power Stroke Diesel??

Old 05-28-2007, 08:06 AM
mgraveman
Elder User
lots more $$ probably. If you don't put 10k miles per year or so, it's still cheaper to get a 460, and diesel maintenance, especially on an old one, is expensive.

That's my reason. I have a new GMC with a diesel, and an old ford with the 460.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Tony1790
Senior User
Originally Posted by Supercab
Could I ask why you are not also looking for the same truck with the Power Stroke Diesel??
Good question, basically I'm not a diesel guy, don't know anything about them other than they have alot more maint costs, and cost more to purchase. Plus I just don't need a diesel. I only plan on driving this truck 5k miles per year and with the longevity of the 460 motor, it should last me at least 10 years with that kind of towing.

As for pricing, I can't believe how much these 460's are going for, there are guys asking $10k for trucks with 250k miles on them. There are few trucks as cheap as the one I bought (here), but they all had lots of miles or been driven hard. This one hasn't done any towing (so far).

Maint wise, I plan on changing all the fluids, replace serpentine belt, have it inspected, anything that I should be looking for in particular? What goes wrong with these beast on a regular basis (other than the tranny)?

Thanks

Tony

Old 05-28-2007, 02:42 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
after 166k miles on my 1995 and lots of off-roading, the only thing that ever went wrong was the trannie at 122k.

my front wheel bearing went out due to improper maintenance after mudding.

my steering box broke but i highly suspect someone ran into my tire, it was a snowy day and i was parked in a parking lot and it felt funny after i started to drive from work.

u-joints, and the front auot hubs blew up so replaced them with some warns.

other than that, never a single problem.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Tony1790
Senior User
Originally Posted by bf250
after 166k miles on my 1995 and lots of off-roading, the only thing that ever went wrong was the trannie at 122k.

my front wheel bearing went out due to improper maintenance after mudding.

my steering box broke but i highly suspect someone ran into my tire, it was a snowy day and i was parked in a parking lot and it felt funny after i started to drive from work.

u-joints, and the front auot hubs blew up so replaced them with some warns.

other than that, never a single problem.
Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping that my truck has good luck for another few years. The original owner had it for 13 years and he liked it, he just bought a used 2005 PSD and his oil chagnes are 84 bucks a pop.

I have 3 non truck questions for you based on your avitar and info.

1. That's a Navy warfare pin correct, did you retire Navy? I just retired from the Coast Guard (also 4 years Army). I'm still trying to figure out what to do in life that I'm no longer being told what to do.

2. Your header says, "Postmaster", I'm assuming that's what you do, I've been trying to get on with the post office but no luck so far. Any thoughts on how to go about it?

3. Your location says E. TN. Which part? I've been hoping to move there as my mom lives in Jonesboro and my sister lives near Asheville, NC. I'm having a hard time finding a job long distance and from what I hear there aren't too many jobs in TN anyway.

Sorry for all of the questions, but it looks like we have 4 things in common and I'm a big believer in networking (asking those with more experience for advice, etc).

Have a good memorial day and thanks to those still serving and to those that have served.

Tony
Retired Chief Boatswains mate

Old 05-28-2007, 06:43 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The "Postmaster" moniker has to do with the number of posts he's made here. Club members (financial supporters of FTE) get to change that title. Had I not changed mine, it would be "Posting Guru" right now because of the number of posts I have made here.

Jason

Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 PM
mgraveman
Elder User
as someone who's owned a few diesels, they are only cheaper if maintenance is kept up on and the miles are put on them.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Bruce R Leech
Elder User
put a big trainsmition cooler on it.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Tony1790
Senior User
Originally Posted by jroehl
The "Postmaster" moniker has to do with the number of posts he's made here.

Jason
Thanks Jason,

Looks like I ***-umed too much with the Post Master thing, I learned another thing today. I do like this site though, I've learned quite a bit on here.

As another poster suggested, I believe I will put a big transmission cooler on it and a few other mods, I don't have alot of time before my big trip towing my RV, hopefully I make it to Kansas City next week without any "issues".

Tony

Old 05-28-2007, 11:22 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
no, i was 9 years in the Navy, but looking into getting into the reserves maybe, just got out 1 1/2 years ago.

my great grandfather retired from the coast guard also.

i live in cleveland tn, the worst place i have ever lived, i am not even from here at all, just going to school, moving next spring to knoxville to go to the university there. there are no jobs here, zero unless you like to clean hotels or some other menial tasks, this place has the worst job market of any place i have ever lived, oh yes, quizno's is hiring also.

i am not with the post office, it is an auto label as mentioned, maybe i should come up with a catchy name. my grandma retired from the post office, she worked there about all her working life. i guess she enjoyed it.

now about trucks, the transmission cooler thing is highly recommended, my transmission went out right after pulling a crew cab on a trailer for someone, that funny smell and leaking sound was my trannie fluid dumping everywhere after i was done pulling and unhooked everything to drive home, i over heated the trans probably along with they are not the strongest thigs in the world either, this was in the olympic mountains also going out past the hood canal bridge a few miles and then heading south.

my truck also caught on fire from the trans fluid igniting on the exhaust, i would have never thought it would happen, but quick dc efforts got it out very quickly with no damage, but i did have a ciggerete after and i don't even smoke.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:59 AM
Tony1790
Senior User
Originally Posted by bf250
no, i was 9 years in the Navy, but looking into getting into the reserves maybe, just got out 1 1/2 years ago.

i live in cleveland tn, the worst place i have ever lived
Doing another 11 years in the reserves might not be a bad idea, at least you would collect a military retirement starting at age 60 if you did that. But then again, you could wind up in the sand box depending on your rate and unit mission.

Why is Cleveland the worst place that you've lived, and what degree are you pursuing? I'm 3 classes shy of getting my BA in History.

As to the truck, I've heard that the trannys are the weak link on these trucks with the 460, so much power puts alot of stress on the tranny. Luckily the guy before did not tow, I'll put a cooler on it and budget for a new tranny later.

You were right down the road from me when your tranny went out, the hood canal bridge is in Kitsap county WA, I live in South Kitsap. WA is a very nice state, but I've recently been offered a job in Kansas City, MO and will take it due to lack of choices.

Thanks all on the advice and help finding a truck.

Take care,

Tony

Quick Reply: Looking at F250's with 460.....not much luck so far