Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Freshman User

ebraunusa is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to replace A/C Compressor Clutch

Hello --

I have a 98 Expedition, with a 4.6L. The A/C runs great, but the clutch is making a clanking noise. I looked at the A/C compressor and the clutch and the 5" circular plate is just hanging in there and it is not tight anymore. I can move it around with my hand. There are 3 posts that each one goes thru a 1" circle hole.

When I turn on the a/c, the ac blows nice and cold, it just makes a banging noise.

So, I figure I just need to replace the clutch. Is that correct?

Is that an easy job? It looks like it there is a 8mm bolt in the middle that holds on the pulley. Do I just need to take that off and does it pull out? Do I need any puller?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior User

aagitch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is it making a constant banging noise or just when you engage it? If it's only when you engage it, I would leave it alone. Some compressors on these engines are known to make clank noises on engagement.

03 Explorer XLT 4.0L
4x4 3.55 gears
Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Freshman User

ebraunusa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bad clutch -- fixed

Hi all --

It was pretty easy fixing the clutch. The seal on the inner bearing broke and that was making it rattle. To fix it I did the following:
  1. Take off the belt
  2. unscrew the 8 mm bolt
  3. the front the of the pully comes off.
  4. Remove the snap ring holding the pulley
  5. Pulley slides off.

I did the reverse order and put it back together. It took me about 40 minutes to change it out and it was my first time doing something like this.

Good luck
Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2000, 68, ac, air, change, clutch, compessor, compressor, conditioning, expedition, f150, f250, ford, replace, replacin