Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Computer thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:04 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Computer thread

If Admin doesn't mind, I'd like to have a single thread with IT news that could affect all of us.

Like, Vista is a Dog, but time is running out for XP
(MS is not renewing OEM XP licenses. Read the article and links before flaming me)

If any of you are thinking of buying a new dual (or quad-core) OEM computer like a Core2 Duo or FX-62, better hurry if you want Windows XP Pro pre-installed.

I haven't decided whether to build another one and install XP, or buy an OEM because I'm getting lazy. Saving a $1000 building one will prolly be the decider, but MAN am I getting lazy waaaaa.

Last edited by RexB; 04-12-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:50 PM
JR182PILOT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RexB
If Admin doesn't mind, I'd like to have a single thread with IT news that could affect all of us.

Like, Vista is a Dog, but time is running out for XP
(MS is not renewing OEM XP licenses. Read the article and links before flaming me)

If any of you are thinking of buying a new dual (or quad-core) OEM computer like a Core2 Duo or FX-62, better hurry if you want Windows XP Pro pre-installed.

I haven't decided whether to build another one and install XP, or buy an OEM because I'm getting lazy. Saving a $1000 building one will prolly be the decider, but MAN am I getting lazy waaaaa.

Rex, this is a good idea......I closed my computer business a year ago this Jan. I am still writing to my old customers and telling them to stay away from Vista (with a p) DO NOT UPGRADE!!!! For more info on Pista, do a search Vista Sucks, you will find some good stuff.....

When I can no longer use XP, down the road. I will be going to Linux. Also I am not upgrading any of my M$, software. Done with Bill & his Clown programmers.......On the bright side, M$ is now in Death Mode.(Throws) I am doing anything that I can to help them, get to that end. I don't give them 5 years. The old saying...The bigger you are the harder you fall!!!

Quiet now..............Lets see if we can hear them go SPLAT

Old 04-12-2007, 02:27 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
JR you're my hero! I did a dual-boot on this rig with Redhat, don't much like it cuz guess I'm a windows fanboy. But Vista is just too much -- I'll give Ubuntu a try on the next one. I've got one unused XP Pro copy that'll go on the new one too. Until it's unusable I'm keeping XP on both.

Dam MS! I'm one of the few peeps that actually like them, kudos to Bill for bringing PC's to us masses and his billion$ in aid to others. But how in the heck could they spend so much time & money and come up with the Pista dog.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
JR182PILOT
Senior User
Talking

Originally Posted by RexB
JR you're my hero! I did a dual-boot on this rig with Redhat, don't much like it cuz guess I'm a windows fanboy. But Vista is just too much -- I'll give Ubuntu a try on the next one. I've got one unused XP Pro copy that'll go on the new one too. Until it's unusable I'm keeping XP on both.

Dam MS! I'm one of the few peeps that actually like them, kudos to Bill for bringing PC's to us masses and his billion$ in aid to others. But how in the heck could they spend so much time & money and come up with the Pista dog.

Well Rex, try this www.linspire.com I am a lifetime member, so I get free upgrades and CNR. Linspire is a good first time users ver., that was made for people that know Zerro (me) about Linux. The guy that started MP3, started it as Lindows. You could say he does not like M$.

Linspire has a new free ver. called Freespire, check it out here. www.freespire.org

One of the best forums is here http://forum.linspire.com/ lots of good info here. However, this forum has now been locked, to read only this month. New forum is now at Freespire. http://forum.freespire.org/index.php it's not as good has the old one. But it's getting better.

I am thinking in the next few years, DeskTop Linux will be the nail in M$ coffin.

Did you know that M$ uses Linux on there servers????

Old 04-12-2007, 07:27 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been using Vista for over a month now, and I've not had one unsolvable issue. The issues that home users have with vista is that they're too stupid to own a computer. I mean EVERY issue I've had has been with a driver. Well guess what? I went to the website of the company than made whatever didn't work right, and right there on they're home page at the top is a big "CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST VISTA DRIVER". DO NOT upgrade, buy a full version and install it fresh and you won't have an issue. Also stay away from the "basic" edition. Go for either Home premium or ultimate. The other editions ARE crap.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
The main problem with any MS product that I found is that it's bloated (speaking mainly on Vista) and I cannot hack the code to suit me like I do on my Slackware box. But I guess as long as you can get on and post in FTE columns I'ts just a matter of preference. Now so that I don't sound like I'm coming down to hard on MS, the problems with most Linux distro's is the lack of drivers or having to manipulate one, and I kind of like to play my games without having to use third party or "middleman" software to do so. CHOICE

Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
I did my research on it before I bought this machine. I built the machine to my specs and added Vista Home Premium (it was $30 cheaper than XP pro). I've been very happy, it runs all my games, even the ones that were designed to run on windows 3.1. So like I said I've not had any major issue with it. My ancient (linksys WMP54G V2.0, broadcom that has issues) wireless adapter works great. I have a signal strength issue, but I think that's in the reporting and location of the computer. I mean even my AC97 (Realtek AC655) works like it should. Running it in 4 speaker mode with true surround right now. You do need at least 1 gig of ram and 512mb of video ram to make it run decently though.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:45 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
You should see the run-a-rounds I had to go through to get the Broadcom BCM43xx chipset to work for most Linux Distro's... ARGHH

Old 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Been there and done that. Ndiswrapper is a nice tool, but a biotch to configure. For an easy linux distro to setup and use try mandriva.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Yeah, I used to use mandriva, and I currently use ndiswrapper. I didn't even know Mandriva was still around. Wasn't it originally Mandrake but they had to change it because of copyright infringement or something?

Old 04-12-2007, 08:27 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
It was mandrake, there used to be a less known to home user distro called conectiva. Connectiva bought out mandrake and they merged the names. The '07 edition has native support for the BCM43xx cards. It does require tweaking to make it work properly though.

I have to say that I'm happy enough with vista that I haven't cussed at it yet, and I don't feel the need to kill bill gates anymore. It does EAT up some system resources though. I have a gig of ram and currently have 432mb free. That's running windows core, aero environment, msn messenger , open office.org quick start, avg, the realtek sound manager, avg control center, mozilla firefox, iTunes, and Intellicast.com's weather app.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:33 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
I was originally PO'd that I could'nt try it because I had 384ram but I graduated so my ol' lady bought me another gig. Hopefully I don't have to get my BA before she gets me the XBox 360 cause I NEED Halo III!

Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
You two are dropping a lot of names, whatever you're saying

Originally Posted by JR182PILOT
Well Rex, try this www.linspire.com I am a lifetime member, so I get free upgrades and CNR. Linspire is a good first time users ver., that was made for people that know Zerro (me) about Linux...
Thanks JR, I'll check that out for an XP replacement.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:32 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
It was about the chipset for the wireless cards from Broadcom Corp. and Linksys. They work out pretty well with Windows (at least Broadcom's does) but for most Linux Distributions you have to manipulate alot of code and use a program that converts Windows drivers for that particular card to work with Linux. It's a real pain in the butt the first time you do it.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:53 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JR182PILOT
Rex, this is a good idea......I closed my computer business a year ago this Jan. I am still writing to my old customers and telling them to stay away from Vista (with a p) DO NOT UPGRADE!!!! For more info on Pista, do a search Vista Sucks, you will find some good stuff.....

When I can no longer use XP, down the road. I will be going to Linux. Also I am not upgrading any of my M$, software. Done with Bill & his Clown programmers.......On the bright side, M$ is now in Death Mode.(Throws) I am doing anything that I can to help them, get to that end. I don't give them 5 years. The old saying...The bigger you are the harder you fall!!!

Quiet now..............Lets see if we can hear them go
There ya go. That's the same plan I have. I am still running my computer business, and having used Vista, I can say I'll stay with XP. Even the XP x64 I'm running seems a lot faster and more stable than the Vista I used for a while ever thought of being. When there's something I absolutely cannot do on XP, then Linux.

If and when Microsoft finally dies, I sincerely hope people dont go to Apple. I really dont want to have to use their goofy fruity overpriced "froo froo" hardware (see if you know where I got that quote!) to use their equally goofy "froo froo" operating system. And yes, I know there are now Intel based Macs, but, eh...

At any rate, I will not sell Vista on any of my new system builds. I will also avoid selling it for as long as possible. My only concern is what to do when I cant get system builder licenses for XP anymore. Trying to teach a customer Linux seems like a less than ideal situation.

Last edited by rusty70f100; 04-12-2007 at 11:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Computer thread