1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

cargo van interior linings or panels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:01 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I most conversion vans they use 1/4" ply or luan and screw it to the van's support structure.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:57 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> Do they build the walls out , on conversion vans or does the sidewalls fit
> agaisnt the side of the van

Usually done as the previous poster said, especially if a window van. My 1980 shorty had crushed velour red interior.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:35 AM
NubVan
Freshman User
when I bought my van it had spray foam insulation in it, keeps it warm and it alot more quiet then the other non interior/cargo vans I have been in

Old 06-26-2007, 03:57 AM
davidh
Freshman User
If you use fiberglass insulation, get the ich free stuff and make certain that you don't block any drainage ports.
You will need at least 4 refrigurator boxes to use as templates for your paneling.
Satin minwax poly urathane works great for sealing both sides of the paneling.
Using **** carpeting will net you at least ten years in the customer waiting area at the ford dealer from hell, with our only distraction being 10 year old copies of "good housekeeping" and looking at the last un-sold new pinto.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:15 AM
IntrepidCUB
Senior User
ya know **** is coming back

Old 06-27-2007, 03:53 PM
bikesandcars
Freshman User
Originally Posted by davidh
If you use fiberglass insulation, get the ich free stuff and make certain that you don't block any drainage ports.
You will need at least 4 refrigurator boxes to use as templates for your paneling.
Satin minwax poly urathane works great for sealing both sides of the paneling.
Using **** carpeting will net you at least ten years in the customer waiting area at the ford dealer from hell, with our only distraction being 10 year old copies of "good housekeeping" and looking at the last un-sold new pinto.
I don't understand all of that reply, but I'm guessing this is a joke about me wanting to make my van look like the scoobie-mobile.

I can't wait to get the thing running right, so I can finish it! (see other related posts).

BAD NEWS though. I found rust holes on the drivers side frame mount along with the two rear frame - body mounts... I'm not even sure if she's worth saving, but not even that matters until I get it running.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:34 PM
jeep_cool
New User
Well, I install a new Jeep cargo liner in my car, it resulted into a more cozy interior...you might as well try it, really feels much comfortable now...<!--[endif]-->

Old 08-30-2007, 04:07 PM
rivet96
Senior User
well i just finished customizing the interior of my van 96 econoline
i used simple oldschool wood panelling (can be bought at home depot). if you decide to use that then you'll have to screw some wood on to the sides so you can screw the panelling on it. you can also insulate before that but you dont have too. for the doors, i would go to the local wreckers and get door panels from a Club Wagon. they have simple snaps and are easy to put in. you'll also end up having to modify alot of the pieces of but its worth it in the long run. you'll also have to buy some fancy trim to fill in any seams.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Randy8876
Freshman User
I'm just finishing up doing my interior. Here is the passenger side wall. I used gray suede and black vinyl. I'm looking to use polished aluminum trim where the two fabrics meet.

I can't seem to insert the picture. Here's a link:
http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc03285es7.jpg

Old 09-01-2007, 11:35 PM
IntrepidCUB
Senior User
how do you finish around the windows sp on a clubwagon if you make new sidewalls?

Old 09-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Randy8876
Freshman User
That's a very popular question.

I used 1/8" luan plywood. Around the window openings I have wood spacers that are the depth of the metal window sill that screws into the window. The wood spacers are about 4-6" long with gaps between them so that the luan can flex and curve to the wall.

I haven't decided the type of insulation to use yet. I was considering foam expanding type because it's high R value and rigidness- but not positive yet.
Here's a link to a picture, maybe it will make my description a bit more clear:

http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc03288qk8.jpg

Old 09-02-2007, 12:22 PM
HAB
Senior User
When the conversion shop did my old 92 E-350 Dsl they glued in wood strips vetically "aprox 3x6" cut to the contur of the wall around the window cut outs to have a surface that matched the thickness of the walls metal posts. Sprayed foam insulation in all the small nooks and to 1.5 inches on the walls. Installed fabric covered luan with screws and glue.Then screwed the two parts of the window frames together to clamp the exterior wall and interior together. Finally using 1.5 inch wide strips of luan covered fabric to trim with. Used dark red fabric with gray fabric trim that matched the factory Captains chairs up front. Still looks good today.
If you go this route use QUALITY FABRIC the cheep stuff won't last til you get home. Trust me on the quality fabric cause I have seen some realy bad looking stuff out there.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:03 PM
iridektm
New User
Originally Posted by bikesandcars
Hello again guys, this is my new favorite forum of the month!

I'm converting my econoline to a track bike hauler (motorcycle racing), and one of the things i want to do is improve the interior while making it a little quieter.

Any suggestions for panelling / insulation / or other things I can do to the walls and roof to clean it up and make it quieter?

I don't need to install shelving, but pannelling of some kind appeals to me.

Panneling (like peg board) that I could hang things off of might be something I'm interested in.
I knew I could find others having what I had in mind. I just bought a new E-350 for converting into a offroad motorcycle racing hauler. Mine is an extended cargo (bare walls but insulated floor with vinal and insulated ceiling). My van came with the factory insulated ceiling without the ductwork in place. I am thinking or cutting this out from the partition to the back doors for more head clearance and replacing with an insulated flat roof. The van came with a bulkhead installed and the contractor rack system which I just removed to make room for some leather captains I purchsed on eBay. I will have second row seating with plans to build a partition wall with a window and speakers. Behind the partition wall will be the bike garage. I am researching how to build a partition wall to fit my needs and that is insulated. I am also looking for information on how to set up the walls for insulation and plywood.