6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Port and Polish the Intake Elbow

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:38 AM
CyberRad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Port and Polish the Intake Elbow

I recently took of my intake elbow to install a 1/8" NPT boost fitting. While in there I noticed that there is a lot of meat on the sides of the elbow. So my buddy and I decided to port the elbow to create a smoother flow. We already had the bits to do this because we ported out a few sets of SBF heads. Needless to say this was easier then porting out heads. The butt dyno says I gained a little responsiveness. I think the only real gain was a smoother airflow and more volume for the boost.

I know, I know this thread is usless without pictures but our main goal of the day was the over mirror gauge pod. The ported elbow was a break away from the wireing madness.

Has anyone else ported the intake elbow? Did you notice anything from it?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CyberRad
I recently took of my intake elbow to install a 1/8" NPT boost fitting. While in there I noticed that there is a lot of meat on the sides of the elbow. So my buddy and I decided to port the elbow to create a smoother flow. We already had the bits to do this because we ported out a few sets of SBF heads. Needless to say this was easier then porting out heads. The butt dyno says I gained a little responsiveness. I think the only real gain was a smoother airflow and more volume for the boost.

I know, I know this thread is usless without pictures but our main goal of the day was the over mirror gauge pod. The ported elbow was a break away from the wireing madness.

Has anyone else ported the intake elbow? Did you notice anything from it?
I don't know of anyone who's done it.. We've pretty muched changed out the whole intake elbow with one that had a smoother curve.. Based on airflow diagrams I've seen the curve of the factory intake elbow isn't as smooth as our 45* bend intake elbows we use..

Get some pics up tho for us to see the work.. Might be a cheaper alternative to the $150 elbow's we buy..

Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
CyberRad
Senior User
Does anyone have access to an actual flow tester? It would be interesting to see diagrams that aren't put up by companies that are trying to sell parts.

I was looking at what DFUser had put up for the stock elbow for instance and IMHO I think it is flawed. My elbow is by no means as easy as a flow as their aftermarket one is but it isn't as restrictive as they show in the diagram for the stocker. Even before I ported it out.

*Edit: Storm - I just realized you are with DFUser. I'm not trying to start anything. I just don't think the images that are on the site are true.*

Last edited by CyberRad; 05-14-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Does anyone have access to an actual flow tester? It would be interesting to see diagrams that aren't put up by companies that are trying to sell parts.

I was looking at what DFUser had put up for the stock elbow for instance and IMHO I think it is flawed. My elbow is by no means as easy as a flow as their aftermarket one is but it isn't as restrictive as they show in the diagram for the stocker. Even before I ported it out.

*Edit: Storm - I just realized you are with DFUser. I'm not trying to start anything. I just don't think the images that are on the site are true.*
I have considered locating a flow test shop.. But based on the charts the manufacturer sent us for the Intake Elbows and our own personal testing on vehicles.. I would say the charts are pretty darn close to accurate.. If we felt it wasn't true then we wouldn't have it on our website nor would we promote it..

Grant it we weren't there when they did the flow test and created the charts.. But I wouldn't disagree that they were somewhat accurate.. What year model is your truck? I'm curious if you have an 03-04 or 05-07.. That would make a big difference in your feeling of concern.. The 05-07 stock elbow had a much smoother curve but lacked the smoothness inside the elbow for unrestrictive airflow.. Opposed to the 03-04 (which I have) had the world's worst attempt at a curve design.. If you looked at my 03-04 elbow, its damn near a 90* turn down into the intake.. Much like the flow chart comparison.

**I understand.. You've made a valid point and opinion and I like that I personally never questioned the chart accuracy with the manufacturer for the simple fact that we have been the improvement that they deplict in the chart.. But you do have me curious now as to a flow test.. If you happen to get a flow test done on your ported/polished eblow please let me know.. I am considering a stock test and power elbow test now to compared with a ported.. Might be something worth wild to invest in

Last edited by Storm; 05-14-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:02 AM
CyberRad
Senior User
It's an 04. I'll agree that it isn't the best design and that a mandrel pipe would make a better elbow. If you ever do find a flow bench, port out your stocker and get rid of the lips on the top of it and test it. I would love to see some numbers before and after and for the "Power Elbow".

Old 05-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Storm
Postmaster
It's an 04. I'll agree that it isn't the best design and that a mandrel pipe would make a better elbow. If you ever do find a flow bench, port out your stocker and get rid of the lips on the top of it and test it. I would love to see some numbers before and after and for the "Power Elbow".
Lol.. You and I think alike I just did an edit on my post to speak of this.. I'm going to call around Austin and see if I can locate a flow test bench somewhere...

Old 05-14-2007, 11:07 AM
CyberRad
Senior User
Something like that might bring in more for you. I am personally thinking about getting one soon.

I think one of the guys on my crew has a line up on a shop that is local that can do it. I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:37 AM
dayooper
Senior User
you guys know much about the banks power elbow? been thinking about it let me know

Old 05-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dayooper
you guys know much about the banks power elbow? been thinking about it let me know
I haven't researched it but I bet it the same exact concept as our Power Elbows but with a higher price tag due to the "Banks" name..

Ok i took at look at Banks page and I can't find a Power Elbow for the 6L... But the ones I saw for the dodge seem to be the same concept except they are machined.. Meaning the company has the money to use expensive equipment..

Power Elbows that you see most of us running are Mandrel Bent tubing that has a plate welded on.. It's less costly and provides the same results..

I'm not too fond of Banks.. Their marketing approach is so blah, they try to put out that they are the best but I've seen folks pull the best out at half the cost of banks equipment.. Don't get me wrong, its nice hardware.. But in todays world with rising fuel costs etc, folks are wanting power at a more budget price..

Now few years ago Banks was pretty damn good.. I had a kit on my 93 Cummins when I was in College my first 2 years many moons ago.. Since then I haven't touched them.. Seen few things such as the 6 Gun on TXHILLCOUNTRY's truck.. Tho I would like to line up and see how it performs compared to my SCT.. :-)

Last edited by Storm; 05-16-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:45 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
The Banks elbow is the same replacement part that is included with their intercooler kit. Thw Banks elbow MAY only be able to be used with their stuff since the opening to the IC tubing is larger in diameter to the OEM IC tubing. For the price it's hard to beat $150 for either of the aftermarket elbows not to mention the NPT port for a boost gauge..

Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault
The Banks elbow is the same replacement part that is included with their intercooler kit. Thw Banks elbow MAY only be able to be used with their stuff since the opening to the IC tubing is larger in diameter to the OEM IC tubing. For the price it's hard to beat $150 for either of the aftermarket elbows not to mention the NPT port for a boost gauge..
Exactly.. But see here is the kicker.. We've seen major differences over the intakeelbow.com's Power Elbow (which we keep in stock and sell) opposed to Accufab's.. It is said that mandrel bent tubing is much more smoother opposed to Cast (Accufab's Elbow).. But I would think with the proper port/polish that the cast could be made smooth. Although we can't confirm that because nobody has ever considered doing flow comparisons on either. I can confirm massive improvement over OEM with the Mandrel Bent elbow I have.. Grant it I'm still running the Throttle Valve because it's still wired and operating.. Tho if I could ditch it for the 05 Elbow to eliminate the additional hardware I'm sure the increase would be even more..

Banks pricing is so over-rated and their kits are a little crazy. Their IC setups are what bug the living crud out of me.. They have a good cooler but I find Spearco's IC's to be even better.. That's my next investment, a hefty one but worth it.. Anyone who's ever truly built up engines knows the process "Blueprinting".. Finding components that work together to provide maximum performance.. That is by far the greatest assest to building a good truck or race car.. Is testing and finding that sweet spot.. Banks eliminates that joy by their claim of "buy this box of parts" you'll get this.. But if you took a banks power kit, I gaurantee with some research you could find other parts of lesser value provide more performance..

Then again engines aren't like they used to be with the computers now.. Just my .02 cents

Old 05-16-2007, 04:10 PM
dayooper
Senior User
1. were do you guys sell you elbow
2. I though that the 04 valve was non functional?

Old 05-16-2007, 04:30 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Storm your picts are great. I like to mess with the insides as well as the outsides of stuff. I played with many intake and exhaust ports without spoiling the flow I already had. I like to clean up castings and found that it does definately work. Most are very rough and have part lines in them. Harleys are terrible for this.
I've never worked with any engine with a turbo or supercharger. I know that naturally aspirated intakes most of the flow is gained at the edges. Are you going to put on a later unit and eliminate the throttle body? I have an 04 and feel no matter what you do to the elbow the air still needs to go by that butterfly and it gets all jumbled up instead odf flowing into the rest of the intake. I think I'll try the clean up of the stock one first with a flapper and some polishing.
Eventho I know Gale personally I don't run any of his products. My performance vehicle is in the trailer I haul. My truck needs to get me there. Thanks again.....

Old 05-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dayooper
1. were do you guys sell you elbow
2. I though that the 04 valve was non functional?
We have the power elbow on our site at http://www.dfuser.com. The 04 valve is non functional for most. I think. Not my case tho, I pulled my plug and looked.. I have electrical pins and the butterfly valve still. I asked my server manager and he said there is no information regarding removing my Throttle Valve on my truck.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jimmy-six
Storm your picts are great. I like to mess with the insides as well as the outsides of stuff. I played with many intake and exhaust ports without spoiling the flow I already had. I like to clean up castings and found that it does definately work. Most are very rough and have part lines in them. Harleys are terrible for this.
I've never worked with any engine with a turbo or supercharger. I know that naturally aspirated intakes most of the flow is gained at the edges. Are you going to put on a later unit and eliminate the throttle body? I have an 04 and feel no matter what you do to the elbow the air still needs to go by that butterfly and it gets all jumbled up instead odf flowing into the rest of the intake. I think I'll try the clean up of the stock one first with a flapper and some polishing.
Eventho I know Gale personally I don't run any of his products. My performance vehicle is in the trailer I haul. My truck needs to get me there. Thanks again.....
I'm not sure on my valve.. I yanked it once before and my truck went haywire.. It wouldn't boost worth a crap.. Took it in, they had to replace the throttle valve and it went back to normal. I didn't tell them I disconnected it.. So for now I'm leaving it alone until I can figure something out about it..

Quick Reply: Port and Polish the Intake Elbow