Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Country Suspension Lift? (Please, don't just tell me to buy Skyjacker)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rough Country Suspension Lift? (Please, don't just tell me to buy Skyjacker)

So what is everyone's beef with the RC springs? I was about to order new springs all around from them, for my 79 F250 (that's leafs all around) when I started reading about using the 99-04 SD springs in a few threads in FTE. I've been looking for SD springs on the internet for a few days (ebay, craigslist, etc) but with no finds.

I use my truck for mostly for work and as my daily driver, hauling tools and doing dump runs. I don't get to wheel her as often as I'd like.
I don't want to get springs that are going to sag quickly, but I'm not looking at spending over $300 more on Skyjacker springs, not including the extra I'll also have to pay on shocks and a drop pitman (sorry, not investing in a crossover steering setup yet).

I'm not very concerned with the ride quality, as my truck's current shocks are almost non existent, steering stabilizer is shot, and I still need a steering alignment done (none of that has been touched since the truck was left sitting for 7 years). I'm totally used to my rig riding rough, so that's a non-issue. Anything at this point will be an improvement.

As long as the *** of my truck isn't going to be hanging back at stock height after a year of dump runs, (or even drop lower than the front) then I have no problem. I'm finally getting the money together to put a lift on my rig, and I'm doing it on the cheap, but don't really want to run blocks...

So what is the problem most folks have had, personally, with them? Please none of the hearsay. Are they known for sagging? (beyond the usual drop) And if they do, could that be corrected with an AAL? Bigun72 recommends them all the way, and I've looked through FTE and google to try and find some more opinions on them.

Please folks, throw some info at me!
Or, if you know someone getting rid of/selling some 4" SD springs, PM me.

Thanks folks!

Old 05-13-2007, 08:46 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude we live pretty close to each other. Here in CA Super Duty guys are always selling their stuff. I just picked up another 8" kit for $400.00 in Hesperia.
If you look at LA craigslist, there are three kits there now. There is even a 6.5" kit that has an asking price of $550.00
Bet this could be had for a song. These springs are easy to find, just have to look.
As for the back, not knowing how high you wanna go, you could just do shackle flip, and buy some hangers from a salvage yard for dirt cheap, and keep the same spring.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:12 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Where in Cali craigslist did you see them? I can't find any in LA. Believe me, I've been looking...

I'll gladly pick up some new hangers and do a shackle flip if I can find some springs for the front. The local yards that I know of don't ever seem to have much for truck parts.

Last edited by ihateminimumwage; 05-13-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:27 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
LA craigs list #324912860. Looks like it is in the San Fernando Valley.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:40 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Thanks 75F350, but I'm just going for a 4". I'll browse around a bit more. Still wondering about RC input though.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:15 PM
unrulee
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
75F350, not to call you out but, you keep praising the SD springs for the lowboys, and you've claimed to have done it. So how about some pics?

You've sparked my intrest on them and I would like to see what they look like under the north end of a 77 1/2-79 250, or any other non-SD truck.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:11 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
If you wanna see mine, I have highboys. If you wanna see a 77.5 to 79, I will be installing these 8" springs on a 79 next week. I will take pics for you guys.
Ivanribic, (if you remember him) used SD springs on his truck, I believe they were 6" units. His gallery shows them, and his gallery also shows some detailed shackle flip pics.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:25 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
unrulee:
I have suggested the SD springs as an alternative to the expensive kits designed for our trucks. I can't see spending $700.00 or more for a kit, when the only thing worth using is the front springs. Most of the kits come with cheesy shocks, and some terrible block or drop drag link to correct the steering. That technology is so old, and knowing what we know today, should just go to crossover steering from the beginning.
Most of us do not like to run blocks in the rear, and opt for shackle flips anyway. So how much of a complete kit are we actually using? Just the front spring, and springs made for our trucks unless purchased custom usually have 4 to 6 leafs that produce a very rough ride. The SD springs have a greater number of springs and ride much better. Most are military style wrapped so they will remain safe if the main leaf breaks. Also they can be found used for dirt cheap, so for the same money, a guy could use the used SD springs, and have enough money left over for the right steering, or pther upgrades like quality shocks.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:39 AM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
The SD springs would be great to get, if I can eventually find them. I'm dead center of Los Angeles, so the closest off road shops are in Burbank (which isn't too far when there isn't traffic) and down south or inland aways. It doesn't seem like I have a ton of options to find them, but I'll look up some places and see what I can find.

The less pain on my wallet, the better for me.

I've been asking about shackle flips in other forums, and I always hear people talking about how far forward it moves the axle, but whenever I see pics, it doesn't look too bad (and I more wanted to do it just to get rid of the stock blocks) (of course, folks usually have massive tires or trimmed fenders, so you can't see much)