Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Aftermarket Products
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Junior User

jantman is starting off with a positive reputation.
06 F-250 (5.4L) - Improve Gas Mileage?

I just bought a used 2006 F-250 XLT FX4 CC with the 5.4L V8 - my first pickup and my first Ford. I've only filled it up once since I picked it up from the dealer, so I don't have an idea of what my gas mileage really is yet. But I know from watching the needle move that it's not good.

I know there are a slew of aftermarket products that claim to improve gas mileage - air intakes, chips, putting a tounneau on the bed, etc.

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for products that actually might make a difference (the tounneau is planned) and won't void the factory warranty?

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Elder User

F250FarmBoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know of something that'll help you get the maximum mpgs you can get, but you cant buy it......................you have to do it yourself.

Stay off the skinny pedal, I know its hard not to, but trust me, the more you drive like nascar, the more you'll pay at the pump.
Kingpin D.60, Srw, 4.10 l/s, push button GP's, ex-tree service truck, dumped utility bed for the bed off an '89 . Soon to get paint with the idea of yellow and black "boss 302" graphics....but it won't say "boss 302"
Old 05-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Junior User

I've been doing my absolute best... which is definitely easier given that it's a new truck which I'm still not completely used to, and it's so shiny... i can't help but be wonderfully careful.

That being said, watching the needle move over the past two days... I was wondering if there's anything else that can help...

EDIT: Also, BTW, I should probably say that at the moment (and for the rest of the summer) 99% of my driving is suburban, stop-and-go. Very little highway. So whatever the actual MPG turns out to be, it will probably hurt...

Last edited by jantman; 05-13-2007 at 12:24 PM. Reason: minor change
Old 05-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Posting Guru

wickymustang is starting off with a positive reputation.
Make sure you have the tires inflated to the psi on the door post or a little more. Make sure you have the truck aligned properly, try to avoid sudden stops and starts, I know that will be hard in the city, but still... After that is all said and done, your engine is a giant air pump. If you can get more air in and out then it will be more efficient. So go with a volant cold air intake, and at least a cat back exhaust.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Junior User

Thanks. I'm probably not going to do the exhaust due to the warranty issue, but I'll look into air intakes.

I try to be pretty good with city driving, nice slow acceleration and stops, but being a volunteer EMT, when I have to respond to a call, it's not always so laid back and fuel-economy-friendly.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Elder User

wrobo23 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
a tuner may help pick up a little more power and fuel economy... realize that with all mods, it gets harder and harder to stay outta the gas though. these things are indeed hogs... big, wonderful, sexxxy hogs

Wisconsin FTE Chapter - Club SNL Member #8

'99 F-250 LD XLT, SC, 4x4 with 5.4L and 3.73

Leave the bowties for the little boys... Ford Trucks all the way!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmForward
You gotta wonder if this guy's parents saw each other across the table at a young age...

Old 05-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Junior User

OkLaHoMaF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good thread. I have several techniques I use.

I must say though, that you have a 5.4 in a F250 which are notorious for reving higher and harder then an F150.

Anyway, with all the power adders I've bolted on I didnt see any real significant change in MPG, mainly just a notice in throttle response and interstate MPG. I've added the K&N FIPK, Helix Spacer, Flowmaster Exhaust, and just installed the Edge Evo.

With gas the way it is, I never carry RPM's over 2000. I start slow at red lights and always remember to keep the RPM's low. By doing this I can squeeze out 15mpg in town driving. On the interstate I regularly see 17-18MPG out of a 2001 Ford Screw 4x4 with a 5.4l.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
Fuel mileage is a function of your right foot. However, my mods have yeilded some major improvements, one time I got 19mpg on the interstate. On my trip home, I thought my gas gauge broke.

However, alot of money has gone into it, and all I expected from the mods was better performance. You have a 3v motor, so I don't know how my mods will work for you, but my best increases came after my latest tuner upgrade, factory tech valve body, gears and Royal purple fluids.

Click the image to open in full size.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>

Last edited by ReAX; 05-28-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Senior User

carbonmetallic is starting off with a positive reputation.
checkout the outlaw power intake, I have heard good things about them. I just ordered one for my 07 expedition
Old 05-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Elder User

CaptGuz is starting off with a positive reputation.
if you want to improve mileage its gonna due with your gear ratios. if you want to increase efficiency, so long as its a cleanliness issue inside your engine you can use an injector cleaner or something like that. but as far as intakes and all that i doubt you'll see anything noticable.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Aftermarket Products

Tags
07, 2004, 2006, 54, 54l, f250, fill, ford, gas, hard, improve, increasing, mileage, response, slow, throttle, truck