Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Junior User

S_Bruce is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do you reset the computer?

I've read a couple of posts where people did some repairs and reset the computer upon completion. What does this actually do for your truck? How would you go about doing it.
As long as I'm tearing into my engine anyway, might as well replace the various input sensors for speed density and reset the computer!

'95 F150, 351, E4OD, 4x4
Old 05-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Posting Guru

eco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Bruce
I've read a couple of posts where people did some repairs and reset the computer upon completion. What does this actually do for your truck? How would you go about doing it.
As long as I'm tearing into my engine anyway, might as well replace the various input sensors for speed density and reset the computer!

'95 F150, 351, E4OD, 4x4
Disconnect the negative battery cable and leave it disconnected for at least 30 minutes.

This erases all the memory in the computor and forces it to relearn what is "normal" for all of it's various inputs and what not. Since not all sensors are created equal, it is a good idea to do this when replacing sensors.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Junior User

S_Bruce is starting off with a positive reputation.
Right on, eco. Thanks for the quick post. This forum is the best I've been a part of, truly an invaluable resource to home mechanics!
Old 05-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Posting Guru

jimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to behold
Just thought I'd add when the computer is disconnected the engine will need to relearn its idle. After reconnecting the battery start the truck and let it idle for a minute, it may idle a little shaky at first but it will sort its self out.

If you were to just hop in the truck and drive off it would take a little while for it to relearn its idle again.
1996 F150. 306/4R70W. E303 cam, AFR205 heads, TrickFlow intake mani, CAI, 90mm TB, 30lb injectors, MSD 6A, long tubes/duals, B&M shift kit, Moates Quarterhorse tuned, etc etc... 13.265 @ 103mph in a extended cab with "just a 302..."
1994 F150 4x4. 302, ZF5 swap, 3 inch lift, 33X12.50 BFG KM2s, 4.10s. "6 litre tuneup", gt40 heads, shorty headers/glasspacks.
1994 F150 4x4. 351, e4od. Stock for now...
Old 05-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Posting Guru

e1p1 has a good reputation on FTE.e1p1 has a good reputation on FTE.e1p1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Another reason for knowing how to do this:
My truck occasionally has the check engine light come on, and throws a code for the EGR. CA emissions test will fail me automatically if it reads the stored code.

Twice in the last 4 years before getting tested, I disconnect the battery and clear the codes, and she passes no problem. This last time, the CEL came on again on the way home from the test.

I suppose one of these days I oughtta get under the hood for real...

'93 F-150 4x4 Supercab Longbed, 5.0L, AOD, BFD...No Mods.
'94 Lincoln Town Car
'93 Taurus Wagon, 3.8L . Dog is my co-pilot.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Senior User

shooter05 is starting off with a positive reputation.
you can clear the codes by just reading them. you don't have to disconnect the battery.
4spOD
Old 05-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Elder User

netscaner is starting off with a positive reputation.
The best way I've found to erase the memory codes is to pull the jumper in the middle of the tests. This immediately halts the test and resets the constant memory to 1-1-1 again. You don't have to wait 30 minutes that way.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by netscaner
The best way I've found to erase the memory codes is to pull the jumper in the middle of the tests. This immediately halts the test and resets the constant memory to 1-1-1 again. You don't have to wait 30 minutes that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter05
you can clear the codes by just reading them. you don't have to disconnect the battery.
Maybe so, but there is a difference between 1) Trying to get rid of the stored codes in the computer and 2) Forcing the computer to re-learn what is normal for all of the sensors so that the computer is able to properly run the engine after different parts of the engine management system have been replaced with new parts. The thread starter is trying to do the latter.

Last edited by eco; 05-17-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Elder User

netscaner is starting off with a positive reputation.
eco, are you saying that the battery disconnect method erases all memory, and the jumper only erases stored codes ??

That's good to know.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by netscaner
eco, are you saying that the battery disconnect method erases all memory, and the jumper only erases stored codes ??
Yes............
Old 05-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Senior User

shooter05 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1p1
Another reason for knowing how to do this:
My truck occasionally has the check engine light come on, and throws a code for the EGR. CA emissions test will fail me automatically if it reads the stored code.

Twice in the last 4 years before getting tested, I disconnect the battery and clear the codes, and she passes no problem. This last time, the CEL came on again on the way home from the test.

I suppose one of these days I oughtta get under the hood for real...
I guess I was under the impression he just wanted to clear them to pass his test, But yes if a new part is installed then it is a good idea to unhook the battery and do a total reset.
4spOD
Old 05-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Just two things to add - there is virtually nothing to gain by replacing SD sensors just because you're in there. If they're good, they're good. Given the quality of some aftermarket parts, you are better off leaving a working sensor in place.

Secondly, reading the codes from an OBD-I computer doesn't reset them. Whoever posted that is thinking of OBD-II.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 05-18-2007, 01:26 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
150, 2000, 2003, 250, 49, 93, battery, computer, econolin, f150, ford, pickup, replaced, replacing, reset, rest, truck