Sponsored by:

Mustang guy looking for a Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 12:35 PM
leprechaun
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to start of saying I am new to this board and what I have read so far has been very imformative. You guys rock. Anyway...I have an '89 LX 5.0 5-speed hatchback Mustang. I am to that point, in my short time here on earth, where I want a boat, dog and a truck! I have no use for any late model american sedans but as far as sport cars and trucks...american muscle is the way to go. I have looked at and drove a lot of 4X4's lately and I have narrowed it down to a Bronco. Probobly a '90-'96 model. I was thinking of a sport model. I would like a 351 but 302 will work. My uncle, who is a Ford mechanic, swears by Broncos. I will probobly get an automatic, so my wife can drive it if she has to.

Can you guys give me any tips or hints when I look for a Bronco to buy? Any bugs or flaws I should look out for and get fixed once I do buy one. Any help you guys can give will help a lot. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2001, 02:56 PM
AlM
Posting Guru

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Jan-01 AT 04:13 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Jan-01 AT 04:09 PM (EST)[/font]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Jan-01 AT 04:07 PM (EST)[/font]

Yo!
Good choice!
We just sold our 78 Bronco, but still have a 96, the last model year.
Th 96's have MAF, rollers, etc as well as 4 wheel ABS, air bag. upgraded e4od tranny...etc.
The 96's are around 12500 to 16000, ranging from priv owner sales to Dealer prices for EB models with around 50k miles (here in NJ).
We bought the xl model mainly because we take it on the beach for surf fishing and it has the transfer case shifter (instead of the electric type) and the vinyl mat is ez to clean. We added power windows, locks, remote start, setina miltary/police push bar, interior fans, tuffy security console, remote oil filter, insulated fresh air intake, 32's, tow hooks, rod holders, etc.
If you read about the auto hub and electric transfer case shift motor problems that eventually cause problems, you may want an xlt or xl too with man hubs and shifter.
Here is a www site that provides a brief overview of each model year:
http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/faq.html#1995

BTW, any Bronco is a good thing to have!
Good luck

Old 01-11-2001, 04:29 PM
broncoman
Freshman User

Hey AIM, how you like the Tuffy center console? Fit nice and looks good? I was think of one just for the security aspect. Sick of people breaking the window and grabbing my cds and stuff from the flimsy non-lock stock center-console.

AS to the original question, getting one of the late models Broncos will give some good years of trouble free driving. All ive done to my 95 is some spark plugs and some better shocks. If ya want the sport model, I think its only available from 94-96 and are not all too common so you will have to hunt for them unless you want to do some painting of grill/bumpers and sidesteps. I have a sport model and I like the monochromatic look.

Old 01-11-2001, 06:28 PM
AlM
Posting Guru

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Jan-01 AT 07:34 PM (EST)[/font][p]yo bronco!

The Tuffy is a=ok, fit perfectly betw. the front buckets. Only one bolt had to be shortened due to the x brace.
Ive had it for 4+ years now and I am glad I got it for the same reasons you have.
I bought it directly from Tuffy. The 12" model is the one that fits our Broncos.
The steel cup holders go well with the "sport" look outside!. We have an all Black model and everything we put on it is steel...lol..and the black Setina push bars are bad **** black too, but very functional; have pushed 3 trucks/cars so far; and it is SRS safe. We mounted the rods holders (black tubing, of course, on the angled horizontal brace).

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/consoles/stereo.html

http://www.setina.com/
the older style fits our broncos perfectly

Old 01-11-2001, 08:43 PM
roscoe
Senior User